Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
White, Lean & Very Mean!
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I thought I'd do a shot of this season's collection :lol:

This has been my first 'proper' season in competitive motorsport and it has been an absolute blast!

We (myself and the C1-R team) are delighted to have secured the overall MLR Class A Sprint Series title this year as well as second overall in the Clubman Plus (CM+) class of the UK Time Attack series. It has been an incredibly busy year doing two championships... but well worthwhile! :smthumbup

Massive, massive thanks to Chris Timmins and the C1-R team (Kieran Young & Leigh Jordan) - without their support and A* services the season, and the results, would just not have been possible.

The car is mapped on SD/std ECU by Lee5 (Dynotech Hayes) to perfection and runs a stock 80 series turbo and 560cc injectors. It has been a faultless set up and I simply can't recommend Lee's services highly enough.

How I took the pic (with me in it lol): I shot this with the camera on a tripod, with a timer and a looooooong exposure meaning I had to stay perfectly still to avoid any noticeable motion blur. It was a team effort as the shot was lit with a large flashgun mounted on my camera and the headlights from 3 other cars :lol: (Chris Timmins', Leigh Jordan's & mine). We got through three tanks of fuel leaving the cars running and a few rounds of coffee too :lol:. Pretty pleased with the result though; cheers boys! :smthumbup

Although I've owned 4 Evo's now - a rare 6RS Sprint, a IX, a 600bhp 5RS and this one - I'd never previously done anything with them other than polish 'em and keep 'em tucked away.

I still keep this one in the best polished condition I can, but using it 'properly' this season has been AMAZING and truly a rewarding way to get the best from what they were made to do.

No matter how polished, rusty, dirty, modded, non-modded, fast or slow your car is just get it out and give at least one round of racing a go whether it's a sprint, hillclimb, TA or something else competitive. I can almost guarantee you'll come away scratching your head and wondering why you didn't do it before... especially as it's possible to have a go for under £200 (quite possibly less) all-in! :smthumbup

Regards, Alex

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Very impressive, I take your cars power is moving up a little for next year ? As I noticed some for sale adds a while back :)

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Alex, I understand if you don't want to, but have you ever counted up how much this seasons motor sport has cost you? Entries, fuel on events, fuel to and from events, accommodation, maintenance of the car, break downs etc?

·
White, Lean & Very Mean!
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the kind comments about the car, season and shot itself :) really appreciate it & massive credit to C1-R; honestly I can't recommend Chris and the team highly enough. :smthumbup

Power wise: Sticking with the 80 series, but going to run some bigger injectors for safety more than anything else. We specifically built the car to meet Class A MLR Sprint regs this year (which stipulates 560cc injectors). I have no craving for 'big' power, but my budget also NEEDS reliability... plus I like everything the 80 series offers :)

Tim - yep. I did. I have to keep a tight leash on it because I just can't do it any other way than on a tight budget. I've slept in the truck (or left home at 3am on the morning of a race rather than stop over because of accommodation costs) and all sorts so I can race as I just couldn't afford to do it any other way mate. Not ideal I know, but it's that or don't race lol :lol:

Regards, Alex

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Looks beauty, I'm looking forward to trying my first sprint next year. Bit of a random question but do you get any surge with the 80 series? Mine surges like a **** at part throttle and makes sweeping corners on track a bit of a pain, but I heard SD can cure it?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I like to think it was our battle in 2015 that made you a better driver :crackup:

Only joking mate, top season and a great bloke, well done.

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,840 Posts
Great picture :) and thanks for explaining how it was taken as well :smthumbup

Reactions: F1-RS

·
White, Lean & Very Mean!
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which cams are you running? Standard rods and pistons?
Cams are Kelford 272 mate. :smthumbup

Looks beauty, I'm looking forward to trying my first sprint next year. Bit of a random question but do you get any surge with the 80 series? Mine surges like a **** at part throttle and makes sweeping corners on track a bit of a pain, but I heard SD can cure it?

Cheers
You'll love the sprints buddy. Honestly! No surge nope. You suffering from fuel surge on bends by running too little juice in the tank you mean?

Thanks everyone for the comments much appreciated :smthumbup

Car is stripped to a rolling shell now to tidy up over winter, so I'll post all info up soon and keep it updated. :naughty:

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Fantastic, nice to here it can be done on a budget:smthumbup
Well done:mitsi:

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts

Cheers
Your car needs a decent map. No need for sd to get rid of turbo surge on the 80 series.
Dynotech mapped mine and Als car and neither of them suffered surge. A decent mapper will sort it for you :smthumbup

Great pic Alex.. looking forward to your winter build thread- I'll put my build thread up over Christmas..

Hopefully we'll be able to compete against each other in 2017 :naughty:

Cheers jamie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts