Lancer Register Forum banner

From EVO 6 to EVO7

349 views 4 replies 0 participants last post by  silver7 
G
#1 ·
Hello Evo`ers
Do the owners of evo 6`s, who have changed them for evo 7`s think they have made the right deceision?.Are you happy chappies or do you miss your 6`s. Is the 7 as quick?. I havnt driven a 7 yet, but after sitting in one at every oportunity i get the car seems to feel like it would be easier to live with every day. All im asking is are the new 7 owners happy with the 7 after owning a 6?. Flipping Heck sounds like im rambling after reading that back to myself. Regards, SIMON.

G
#4 ·
Have both an Evo 5 RS and an Evo 7 in the drive. The 5 is similar enough to the 6, so I think I'm qualified to comment?

Driven both of them back to back on several occasions. Always an odd comparison. The 7 is definitely easier to live with-- more refined (though this is all relative, as against more pedestrian rides) and more relaxing to drive, yet can be deceptively and shockingly fast when you want it to be.

Yet when I get into the 5, there's definitely something very raw about it, which never ceases to put a smile on my face. Power delivery is also much more explosive, though that's probably due to my minor mods, which have raised the torque peak to a higher 4k RPM. The feeling of rawness is exagerrated because it's an RS (no soundproofing) with the short ratio tranny, so it's noisy, and very bumpy (changed suspension). The 5 feels much much faster.

However, when my father and I caned them head to head, while the 5 is indeed faster in a straight line, it's not THAT much faster, considering the 7 is bone stock whereas the 5 has about 25 HP over stock, and is the lighter RS version. This to me suggests that the more linar and refined power delivery of the 7 makes people think that it is slower than a 5 (or 6). I have a feeling that if my 5 was completely stock, the 7 would actually be faster. Those of you who have seen the Japanese Best Motoring head-to-head tests of a 6 and a 7 will know what I mean.

Grip and roadholding-wise, the 7 (with AYC) has it all over the 5 (no AYC). Around a skidpad, the 5 was howling and drifting, while the 7 tracked as if it were on the proverbial rails, while travelling faster to boot. Of course, this also means that the 5 is more fun to drive, if the objective is arse-out hooliganism. :)

If I had to choose only one Evo... I would choose the 7 IF it was to be my only car for everyday driving, while I would choose the 5/6 if it was a weekend or toy car only.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.