Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just aquired an Evo FQ400, after my Exige was written off. I got the Evo at a very good price.

Could anything be done to make the powerband a little less savage? I don't mind high power, I had a BMW M5 for a while, but it really is poor up to 4000 rpm and then hits like a sledgehammer.
The torque is dire low down and up to 4000 rpm.

Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
The amount of lag that the FQ400 suffers from is somewhat of a known problem, have a read of this article from our last club magazine. Unfortunately, although most of the components used in the 400 are of good quality and capable of extremely high performance, the ECU, or more specifically the map used in it, gives a considerable amount of lag. Quite why it was mapped this way is a matter of some debate, but most agree it was to 'dull' the performace somewhat to preserve the mechanics and reduce warranty claims for failed parts.

Unfortunately, the ECU is a special 'locked' one that cannot be reprogammed. This means that the only solution is to replace it, voiding the one advantage of the 400 - your warranty :(

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Tizzy said:
I have just aquired an Evo FQ400, after my Exige was written off. I got the Evo at a very good price.

Could anything be done to make the powerband a little less savage? I don't mind high power, I had a BMW M5 for a while, but it really is poor up to 4000 rpm and then hits like a sledgehammer.
The torque is dire low down and up to 4000 rpm.

Any ideas out there?
What was the price then?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to say that there is no way this thing is a £47,000 car. It would be the worst possible way to spend nearly 50 grand on a car.
Two people at Norwich asked me on Sunday why on Earth I had spent so much 'on one of those things, when I could have had a used 996 turbo for the same price'.
I pointed out that for £37K I had got a good buy and with a few mods. it will be a seriously fast car.
What could I get for £3000, to improve this car a little? Any mods. that would increase the torque?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
How about a aps 3.5" exhaust and induction kit (if they fit the 400?) then have the ecu remapped to suit would have thought that would make a massive difference? and should improve the car no end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In fairness to the car, if you concentrate hard and keep the revs above 4000 and take each gear to about 6500, it absolutely flies and would keep up with some mega-expensive cars with it's incredible grip helping bridge any power gap.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Or just get Motec to unlock the ECU and wipe the map. It will have to be mapped from scratch though. (Yes your warranty will be screwed :cry: ).
Has anyone remapped one of theses cars yet?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Tizzy said:
chunky says (above) that the ecu cannot be remapped though.

If I have any luck I will let you know.
I thought I read on another post that it could be unlocked or remapped its just that you would loose the original map and presumably the warranty aswell?

Question answered before I even finsihed writing it see above :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I must say owning a 400 I have read most articles and threads on here. Having owned various sports cars my last car the fq330 rates as my favourite and I expected many things of the 400 when I ordered it.
Well Friday went to Donnington for a porsche owners track day this would determine if I kept the car or not as on the road its best described as frustrating.
Well I can only say the car was fantastic and fair play to the porky boys who loved it too, although some could be a bit slow getting out of our way. So up untill the last lap everything was wonderful, then with no warning a problem.
I will say no more yet, but the car is at the dealers and I'm waiting for news on the 2nd biggest reason to buy this awsome car, the warrenty!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Drop a PM to sam the dentist, he is really helpfull and will advise you accordingly, his advert is on here frequently or he is listed as Evo 7 I think, Disclaimer :- other tuners are avaliable ;)

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
Thermos said:
So up untill the last lap everything was wonderful, then with no warning a problem.
I will say no more yet, but the car is at the dealers and I'm waiting for news on the 2nd biggest reason to buy this awsome car, the warrenty!!!
Go on....tell us what broke? :) Was it the diffs? The turbo? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts