Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, only been living in the UK for about 12 months, and I'm well overdue to buy an Evo.

Back when I lived in Australia, I had a fairly quick Evo V with motec, fancy coilovers, light wheels and things ... but I've probably come to the conclusion that owning a modified car is a lot harder over here. Costs of fuel, don't have a garage or contacts to do work, and things like that make it more difficult.

So, after speaking to some people and looking at a few cars, I think I'm wanting a standard car, 2005 or newer, and I need to decide between:

- a UK car, possibly IX FQ340
or
- an imported IX GT

I'm fairly confident I know about the cars (i -am- worried about the FQ340 ECU though, is it ecutek? - yuk) - but I have no idea about insurance and ownership details in the UK.

Things like service history seem VERY important here, do people like to see main dealer servicing, or tuning workshop servicing?

And how hard is it to insure a GT? Are local cars easier to insure?

Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to having a quick car again (v6 golf is NOT quick!) and getting back on a track.

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
your insurance is going to be group 20 anyway no matter if its a gt or an fq. just ring round and price it with various companies.

if you intend doing track days or modifying the car maybe the gt is a better base car, but if you are happy with 400 ish bhp & not going for a big power rebuild the fq is maybe the car to go for.

drive the 2 and see which one you like best.

there have been tons off posts about this. use the search facility and have a good read.

good luck

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
worse turbo in standard form, needs £500 spending to change the wheels

gayc -as I have said before, I would like to know how many who slate ayc are faster (and safer) without it.

more franctic gearbox if cruising = worse fuel consumption

lighter? how much is there actually in it? 30kg?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
about 60kg at 30-130 I ran.

Agree on the gearbox it does nothing for fuel consumption (or noise levels on the motorway), but it's much nice to use than the 6-speed, and definately stronger. That said, not many people have broken stock boxs with under 550bhp.

I think I'm faster without AYC, and much safer... I know what the car will do in any given situation. Perhaps I just enjoy it more? All I can say is I've had a lot of fast cars and the 9GT is the best to drive by far of any of them.

Ben

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the replies so far, but i was really interested in things like insurance. How hard is it to insure an import VS a UK car?

g.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
There is no difference anymore. Just go to the right copmpanies, e.g. Pace Ward the MLR's official insurer.

Ben

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
JDM with mods gave me far fewer choices of insurer, I got a much cheaper price on a UK car. Also if your mods are rated on the power improvement from stock, then starting with an FQ340 at 345 BHP gives a smaller increment to bother the insurer with.

I couldn't tolerate the GT top gear for day to day use, especially with an exhaust, and also the top gear in the GSR based cars does help range on a tank.

I also LIKE AYC, and the official weight difference is only 20kg (1390kg vs 1410kg) and didn't want to have to change the turbo. Six speed cold 1-2 change is a dog, 5 speed is a nice change.

If I wanted 500 BHP and a car to do sprints in and wasn't using it daily, I'd get a GT.

My choice was between a new imported GSR and a well priced FQ, the right deal came up on an FQ.

Both cars have their advantage, everyone told me to get a GT, I'm happy I didn't for my needs.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Get a GT Geoff :smthumbup

(Oh but I may be a bit bias & I have one for sale @ the mo....)

Either cars will be great - its just find the one at the right spec for you.

Insurance wise it didn't make very much difference for me, I think my price was based upon a FQ300 & then mods added... I use Keith Michaels and have class 1 business use too. Give them a bell to find out what the differences will be.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I still agree with what john says above.

People blindly say the GT without considering what they actually want from the car.

For my needs the FQ was a much better choice.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I still agree with what john says above.

People blindly say the GT without considering what they actually want from the car.

For my needs the FQ was a much better choice.
Yeah each to there own - you need to drive both!

9GT WILL hold its money much better though in the future...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Most definately!

I'd say go for the one you can find that matches your criteria! Pre-modified is the way to go (if it goes some way towards what you'd like to achieve) - I went for GT as I don't do motorway driving (mainly because there are no motorways where I live) and torque and gear ratios as well as the fact it would be my track toy played a big part.

Nothing wrong with FQ but I would personally (as I have commented before) go for non-AYC as I'd rather do the driving..... saying that I haven't driven a car with AYC so I couldn't comment on the differences.

Insurance - in my experience they basically treat the GT as an FQ320 as the most similar model). Group 20 as has been said and doesn't come with tracker.

You're asking the right questions at least, hope you come to some conclusion! :smthumbup

Also, Steves white GT is definately worth considering!!!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I started off with a VIII MR fq320 run it in standard form for around 6months. It was a great car a real good balance for the road. Then had it Ecutek'd to 280atw funny how quickly you become used to the extra power and yearn for more :naughty:3years spent in the MR and truely loved it to bits :smthumbup Unfortunately my circumstances changed and I sold it, eventualy grabbing a modded VI gsr. It was at this point when I realised just how good the manners of the MR was as a road car.

I now have a IX GT and can honestly say that its easily every bit as good as my old MR :D

As people have said you need to weigh up the pro's and cons.

IXfq340 depending on age will have some warranty left on it.
More than likely to be cheaper to insure if you use the likes of Elephant etc.
Slightly more comfortable seats as GT spec are for skinny jap ar$es:cry:

I managed to secure an awesome deal from A-Plan on insuring the GT.
The 5speed box is slightly more buzzy on the motorway but I find it to be more slick than that of the 6sp and in no way has my fuel consumption been affected in fact it's the best of the 3 Evo's ive owned (27mpg off boost motorway)

More robust drivetrain as already said slightly cheaper to service due to no AYC.

Dont forget to budget in for the turbo wheel if you decide to import a GT

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I hope so, cos they sure as hell aren't holding their money now!

Look at the number for sale, buyers market, and I can't see any real disparity between GT and FQ prices.

Especially when you consider how much cheaper the GT was new and the fact that 99.9% of them are 05 plates. 3 years old now!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think they are mate :confused: - as you said most are 05 and were much cheaper to start with ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much for responses everyone - I'm really torn on what to get. I'm thinking a UK car is probably a good bet.

I'm still not sure if I want a 9, or an 8 MR, either.

Regardless - I'll let you know as soon as I've bought something!

Cheers,
g.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I hope so, cos they sure as hell aren't holding their money now!

Look at the number for sale, buyers market, and I can't see any real disparity between GT and FQ prices.

Especially when you consider how much cheaper the GT was new and the fact that 99.9% of them are 05 plates. 3 years old now!
GT's where 23.5k new and near standard ones are selling for around 21k,not much of a loss over 3 years!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts