Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Aidy said:
You can't prove something isn't true, only that it is.
Why not, Surely if I was to present evidence contradicting the truth then that's me proving that it is false. i.e the defence team in a court case. Are they not trying to prove that an accusation isnt true?

P.S: I'm not trying to start an argument with you it's just that I'm curious as to why you cant prove something isnt true. :)

P.P.S: I'm starting to confuse myself as well thinking about this :D

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
1800t-GSR said:
Why not, Surely if I was to present evidence contradicting the truth then that's me proving that it is false. i.e the defence team in a court case. Are they not trying to prove that an accusation isnt true?

P.S: I'm not trying to start an argument with you it's just that I'm curious as to why you cant prove something isnt true. :)

P.P.S: I'm starting to confuse myself as well thinking about this :D
You can prove an alternative scenario is true such that if both are compared then you know which one is genuine, but you can't logically prove that something "isn't true".

For example if I said I could fly, how could you prove that I can't? I could prove that I *can* fly by demonstrating the act, but you can't prove that I *can't*. Even if you threw me off a cliff I could still choose to die rather than using my ability to fly so that wouldn't be proof either.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Aidy said:
You can prove an alternative scenario is true such that if both are compared then you know which one is genuine, but you can't logically prove that something "isn't true".

For example if I said I could fly, how could you prove that I can't? I could prove that I *can* fly by demonstrating the act, but you can't prove that I *can't*. Even if you threw me off a cliff I could still choose to die rather than using my ability to fly so that wouldn't be proof either .
Hmm.. I'm up for that test - I'll grab his legs, who wants his arms? :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.