Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its too late, have an FQ 400 on order ready for late march. Am I going to love or hate this car (25k annual miles).he only feedback i seem to read is critical. Any FQ 400`s out there ? :coolsm:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
You will be loving the car!! i would be :cry: :cry: at the thought of 5++ services a year if you do 25kmiles per annum
3sets of tyres,pads n discs and petrol.. should clock up enough air miles to fly around the world and take us lot with ya

enjoy the car mate congratulations, will look nice with the TVR

·
Registered
24,444 Posts
LIGHTMAN said:
I know its too late, have an FQ 400 on order ready for late march. Am I going to love or hate this car (25k annual miles).he only feedback i seem to read is critical. Any FQ 400`s out there ? :coolsm:
look up FQ400duran hes got one and wont shut up about it :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cancel it, go for an RS4. Would be cheaper to run too...sorry, forgive me, FQ400 seems a silly amount of money for a car like that, I can't see it myself. Especially given your mileage...good luck!!!!! Hope you don't have to remortgage the house...

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
if you have the money go for it

must admit its getting boring now :D that sod all that comes up against me i blow away :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It dont matter whether its a 400 or a 260 , doing 25K miles plus a year is going to bankrupt you unless you have thousands of £££s to spare! ;)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Dmac1969 said:
It dont matter whether its a 400 or a 260 , doing 25K miles plus a year is going to bankrupt you unless you have thousands of £££s to spare! ;)
True thats like over £8k a year in Optimax alone :eek: :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
Lightman, I spent a few days with an FQ400 last week and TBH it's not what I would use as an everyday car. It's at it's best for a to b thrashes not stuck in traffic if you're doing 25k per year. A 320/340 would make a much better everyday car.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
If you can afford an FQ400 then you can certainly afford 25K miles a year. GO for it. :)

Or.. get yourself a daily driver and ... nah f*ck it - go for it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tell u what, you buy the fq400 and if u dont like it i will swap my 6 with you :crackup:
I might even be kind and give you a few thousand on top as well :D

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
LIGHTMAN

This is a very personal issue and for every person the answer is different. Before I got my 7 Extreme, lots of people told me I would't be able to live with it as a daily drive but it was fine. I now have a Porsche 964 RS and people also told me that I wouldn't like it as a daily drive or for long journies. Although I don't drive it in town (have a Smart for that), its fine on motorways and very comfortable on long journies.

In the same vien, my brother spend 2 years in a Caterham doing 18,000 miles a year. Totally mad, in my opinion, but he thought it was great.

Now, I am not trying to suggest that an FQ400 is like driving a Caterham but I suspect that if you are used to high powered sports cars, you may not find the FQ400 too bad. I certainly wouldn't rule out using a 400 bhp Evo as everyday transport.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
If youve ever used the Tuscan as a daily drive the 400 will be like a Honda civic:D to drive everyday

Jez

·
Registered
797 Posts
DaveG said:
Lightman, I spent a few days with an FQ400 last week and TBH it's not what I would use as an everyday car. It's at it's best for a to b thrashes not stuck in traffic if you're doing 25k per year. A 320/340 would make a much better everyday car.
I am still grinning like a loony :D

I cannot wait for you know what ;)

Daz

·
Registered
405 Posts
Comedy Si said:
Cancel it, go for an RS4. Would be cheaper to run too...sorry, forgive me, FQ400 seems a silly amount of money for a car like that, I can't see it myself. Especially given your mileage...good luck!!!!! Hope you don't have to remortgage the house...
Definitely without a doubt the right thing to do. I changed from an RS6 to an FQ400, and though I love the car in many ways, there is nothing in particular I can think of that's good about it.

The new RS4 is beautiful, I sat in it at Geneva and the pedals and the steering wheel are nice and sporty, the seats are monumentally comfortable (something you've got no chance of in the 400) and it's got a reasonable amount of tuning potential without upsetting the warrantee (definitely chip and exhaust)

The reason I like the FQ is because, unlike a powerful Audi, it's a beast, you're never really sure what it's going to do, whether it's going to slide sideways cos there's no traction control. Basically you get a much bigger adrenaline rush.

However if you just like to do the miles, the RS6 sits on the motorway at 140 completely comfortable with one hand on the wheel - I can guarantee the RS4 will be like that too. To be that relaxed in the evo you need to drop to about 100. (obviously I'm talking german autobahns here ;) )

And I'm pretty sure that on top end grunt the naturally aspirated V8 would take it, especially if it's been chipped and exhausted, and even after that your fuel consumtion will still be only half of the 400.

However don't get discouraged - the FQ400 is awesome and you'll love the experience of driving it. To me there was no choice - it's the world's fastest saloon so why go for anything else?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Only because all the big German cars are limited - thats a bit of a cop out saying IMO :D

Thats not a dig at the FQ400, It's the same as Vauxhall saying the Astra Turbo Convertable was as fast as the M3 convertable (in all the pre launch bumf we had), again only because it was limited :D

(the Astra didnt turn out to be that fast in the end anyway lol)

Imagine the servicing costs on 25k PA :eek:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think doing 25k miles a year in a evo would be like driving a bike with no saddle,,,

I think you will need to araldite ya teeth in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts