Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This was a very fun place to fly with lots to explore. The day was probably the longest I had ever been over water and even more scary/adrenaline pumping because it was Full FPV over a body of water that I did not know how deep it was, it felt like standing on the edge of a cliff and looking over lol.

I wish the weather was good all day here but I had to film inbetween rain showers and Very dark lighting because of the clouds.

FPV Quadcopter Burrator Reservoir
Best viewed full [email protected]

This is the second video from the day, the first is called
"FPV Quadcopter Close Proximity Flight"
Find it here
http://www.youtube.com/user/jab1a/videos?view=0

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Is it relaying images back real time to you for control or are you simply controlling the Quad copter by free line of view?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it relaying images back real time to you for control or are you simply controlling the Quad copter by free line of view?
I am flying this Quadcopter Full First Person View via video Tx on Quadcopter and Video goggles for full immersion. I have a spotter with me who has a line of sight on the quad at all times for safety.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
I am flying this Quadcopter Full First Person View via video Tx on Quadcopter and Video goggles for full immersion. I have a spotter with me who has a line of sight on the quad at all times for safety.
Sounds pretty cool, could you describe/itemise the kit you are using please? Could be something I may want to get into as it looks interesting.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
280 Posts
A much larger version of a quadcopter/multi-rotor. :naughty:
Although I don't think I'd like to have one of those props coming loose from the motor and have it fly towards me... :eek: :lol:

Skip to 1:40 for the flying part:

PS: Nice stuff JAB. :smthumbup
I used to fly 'large' (2m wingspan+) aerobatic RC planes and helis, but haven't touched it in quite a few years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
At work using iphone so cant watch clip, but do you have styrene floats or anything in case batteries die over water?

It looks too expensive to ditch like a SuperPuma and sink.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At work using iphone so cant watch clip, but do you have styrene floats or anything in case batteries die over water?

It looks too expensive to ditch like a SuperPuma and sink.
Alas no floatation device, pure balls or pure stupidity - depending on weather I crashed or not :)

Everything is measured, checked, re-checked, then have a good think, check again just incase, start flight timer, recheck connections again, hit record on camera then fly! I try and leave very little space for hardware failure and the batteries are never used to there full charge so I have plenty of time to land before batteries start to drop off (charge I mean). Its all about minimising risk

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Just a word of advise, you might want to keep a better eye out for wires, lol. watch the top video at 3:44 and you came close to that telegraph line. Might have put a dent in your day. If operating over water, why not fit a small lightweight flotation device? at least it wouldnt sink then. It might be a slight weight penalty but it looks as if you have more than enough flight performance to carry the extra weight. Loads of options for it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a word of advise, you might want to keep a better eye out for wires, lol. watch the top video at 3:44 and you came close to that telegraph line. Might have put a dent in your day. If operating over water, why not fit a small lightweight flotation device? at least it wouldnt sink then. It might be a slight weight penalty but it looks as if you have more than enough flight performance to carry the extra weight. Loads of options for it.
Lol cheers Capt.Mike, would you also like to point out to me that the sky is the blue thing above me and the ground in the solid thing below my feet? I was there thanks :) some great blatantly obvious tips for me there.

I didn't have floatation device fitted because I didn't think I would be crazy enough to fly over water.....but I did.

I saw the cable because it was right next to me as I started my flight and I had a spotter telling me to go higher as I strafed right, I would need to keep a better look out for wires if I hit a wire, yes? otherwise I think I am doing ok :lol:

Sorry bad day and this is a great way to vent. I mean no bad intention Capt.Mike, just venting, really cheers for your interest :smthumbup

·
Registered
36,183 Posts
Hi All,

This was a very fun place to fly with lots to explore. The day was probably the longest I had ever been over water and even more scary/adrenaline pumping because it was Full FPV over a body of water that I did not know how deep it was, it felt like standing on the edge of a cliff and looking over lol.

I wish the weather was good all day here but I had to film inbetween rain showers and Very dark lighting because of the clouds.

FPV Quadcopter Burrator Reservoir
that's awesome. do you fancy coming to a sprint in 2013 to get some overhead footage?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi Kenny1,

I am definutly looking forward to coming along to a meet/sprint day to get some footage. I have watched some great videos of similar stuff on youtube and they get some great angles and very hard to get shots.

I don't think much goes on near me (Plymouth area) with regards to sprints unless you can point me in the right direction?

P.s hope my last rant was not taken too literal :) sorry Mike lol

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
I tell you what, come back on here when you hit your first wire and let me know. Oh one other thing, if Darin has any sense he wont let you anywhere near a live sprint track with that thing, filming cars remotely, no matter how good an idea it seems. The first time it goes out of control and hits a car, the sprint series would be closed down. And dont say it wont go out of control, or be sabotaged, because you know fine well that anyone with a tx on the same frequency, closer to the thing could have a field day with you.:smthumbup:mhihi::naughty:

Oh sorry, I forgot. Slag me all you like. Youre not a proper pilot of any sort. :crackup::blush:

I needed to vent, sorry. You're the expert, carry on :handsup:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tell you what, come back on here when you hit your first wire and let me know. Oh one other thing, if Darin has any sense he wont let you anywhere near a live sprint track with that thing, filming cars remotely, no matter how good an idea it seems. The first time it goes out of control and hits a car, the sprint series would be closed down. And dont say it wont go out of control, or be sabotaged, because you know fine well that anyone with a tx on the same frequency, closer to the thing could have a field day with you.:smthumbup:mhihi::naughty:

Oh sorry, I forgot. Slag me all you like. Youre not a proper pilot of any sort. :crackup::blush:

I needed to vent, sorry. You're the expert, carry on :handsup:
Lol fair enough, Cappy has vented, another great and informative input to the thread.

I can not argue with your points, all valid, apart from the frequency of Rc systems have changed and you would need to have over 100+ transmitters each using the frequency, enough to stop frequency hopping which would cause interference but not lose control for that reason, as your Rx is binded with your Tx, so more than 2 transmitters can use the exact same frequency without interference to eachother.....your thinking of 'back in the day' systems.

Oh well sorry I annoyed you so much Cappy :lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
awesome work / vid / scenery mate.. Quads can be a lot easier to control tho... Im currently training with a 6way hele - will upload some vids if i get the chance.

send up a few more if you have any.
Quads are alot easier! I would like to see some of your vids when you have them up online. Are you planning on flying full FPV at some point or just getting into the hobby and seeing where it takes you?

Good luck with the training :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Is it just me or has Capt Mike since he got his full brown wings or whatever they're called 'got a little touchy' over the last few months?

;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts