Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've borrowed a Forge VTA dump valve from a friend for evaluation purposes and have a few questions.

Despite my best attempts I cannot get the car to stall when braking to a halt etc., Forge's website mentions something about their VTA valve for the Mits being specially designed to prevent this but as this valve was sold for a GTiR (they list the part numbers separately) I'm wondering if there is something about their design that prevents it?

Sometimes when lifting off there is a pronounced shudder from the drivetrain. I assume these valves can be adjusted so do I need to loosen the spring so that the vacuum overcomes the spring earlier and gives a smoother transition from boost to vacuum?

On the plus side, it seems that my oem valve isn't leaking that much, if at all. This was the main reason for testing it in the first place. The boost response with the Forge is pretty much the same as before, the only real difference is that there is a slight overboost when flooring the throttle but as I only run 12 psi that shouldn't be a problem - my boost guage has never shown more that about 14 psi in it's life! :(

I'd like to hear opinions from anyone who has one of the valves for their car.

Oh, and I don't think all this PSSSHHT!-ing is for me, I feel too much like a ned already after getting my louder exhaust! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Big Boy, how's it going?

I fitted the Forge VTA to the 6 and had nothing but bother. Everytime I slowed down to a stop it would either, cut out or become very lumpy. So it's back in the box. Like you I noticed no diff. between boost with the OEM and the Forge unit.

...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe, I knew I remembered speaking to someone who had one!

Funny thing is apart from the jerky lift-off and quantum performance gain the car runs as well as it does with the oem valve, no stalling problems whatsoever.

I'll open the bugger up tonight and have a look at it to see if I can adjust it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to get rid of the 'jerky lift-off', I turned my Forge bov around. This made it the release of the pressure much more sudden when lifting off, but much smoother as well. You need a slightly longer hose to activate the bov. I used some fuel line. I think, that most cars (like Audi) use the bov in a 'reversed' fashion. To me this makes sense. I don't want to hear anymore of these silly stories about stalling (BS).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't reverse, it's a VTA! Anyway, already tried that with the OEM valve and it was jerkier than standard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gordon,

My Blitz VTA BOV caused stalling problems when i got it first, after many attempts at trying to adjust it and getting nowhere I came up with the bright idea of cutting open the OE valve (which was leaking) and puttting the spring from it into the Blitz BOV. Job sorted:D. Must be the tension of the springs are to low in most after market BOV to suit the Mitsi's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts