Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is an easy 'shorting out connector' type way of decoding the fault codes on a 2000 Ford Focus?

I refuse to pay Ford £85 just to stick the thing on an ODBII diagnostic machine if I can avoid it.

Andy

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Try this,
Press and hold the ODO button with the ignition switched off, then while holding it down, start the car. keep the button pressed and then you should go into a 'tech' mode where the guages flick up then down. press the odo to flick thru diffrent screens/tests and you should come to a screen (3rd one i think) called code. if theres an error code there, it will be listed as a "DTC xxxx" then you can find out what that code represents.

this will only work with Digi dashes, not analouge ones

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers chaps,
Unfortunately it may be too late... My mrs got the AA to drop the car off at the local stealer and so far they have spent 2 hours on it at £85/hour and still haven't a clue what's wrong apparently. It *alledgedly* threw up a coil pack fault code that they have replaced but still no joy.. it won't start.

I've told her that I'll phone them up tomorrow morning, find out exactly what they've done for her £170 and then probably end up picking it up myself and sorting it out.

Bloody main dealers are a complete waste of time on all marques it seems...

It was quite funny apparently when she started quizzing the service manager about crank sensors and coil packs though :D :D

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
fosuses have a tendncy for eating injectors, especially if you use morrisons for petrol for some strange reason, if you get stuck mate i can scan it for £35 and its with a launch so very accurate,

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update....

It's taken the Ford dealer 2 days to diagnose the fault that I told them to check 2 days ago when the car first went into them!!!

When they first got the car they said it had thrown up a knackered coil pack fault but they had changed the coil pack and it hadn't done anything. At which point I told them to check that the coil pack fault hadn't fried the coil pack drivers in the ECU and the guy on the end of the phone just went quiet.

They then spent yesterday trying to diagnose the problem but needed their 'Master technician' (I assume he is the monkey that can both read and write) to have a look at it.

He has been looking at it all today and has eventually come to the conclusion that....

the coil pack fault may have fried the ECU and so you need a new ECU.

Wow... I'm wasted as a chemical engineer I think :D:D

Andy

P.S. I don't suppose if anyone knows if the ECU's are coded to the keys etc.. on a Focus do they (perhaps I should keep my day job if I don't know that one ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
hmm, i can give you a contact number for a place that will repair your ecu and keep your immobiliser or they can issue you with a virginised free running unit if its of any help to you,

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marv,
Can you drop me a PM with that number please.

Many thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. Just going to pick the car up from the dealer today and that place can't do anything until I tell them what the ECU code is and then they'll let me know if they can help.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
ahh good, theyre a good reliable company and will help you if they can, i have never got a car which they havent been able to fix, whats the problem with the car? what makes you think the ecu is faulty as ive never really had a ford ecu fail tbh,

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ford have themselves diagnosed the ECU failure. The coil pack has died (and threw a code) and when replaced etc.. the car still wouldn't start and kept throwing the same fault code at them. They then got their master tech onto it and he diagnosed a knackered ECU.

From hunting around the web, it seems that occasionally when the coil packs die, they can fry the coil pack drivers in the ECU and that renders the whole thing inoperable.

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
sorry if i sound a bit dim but .. if the coil had thrown up a fault code that was readable then surely the ecu is ok? i would assume if the ecu was fried then you would not be able to extract a code from it????

Its a shame you are not closer to me or im not going near warrington as i my car pc as got an obd reader on it i used it the other day to diagnose a renault megane with adodgy coil pack giving an int missfire on 1 cylinder.

i could be wrong about my first point it just doent seem right to me :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mossop,
The part of the ECU that is fried is the bit driving the coil packs. The ODB fault codes can still be read I believe.

Andy

·
Registered
40 Posts
fair enough then just as well i said i could be wrong ;)

good luck resolving it anyway

·
Premium Member
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, just to finally update this... Posted the ECU out to the company recommended by Evo Marv on last Thursday and got it back today.

Replaced the coil pack, replaced the ECU and bingo, all is well again. :D

Big :beerchug: to Evo Marv for the contact for the ECU. Saved me around £600 in total.

Andy

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Only just spotted this thread :blush:. The coil pack popping the ecu is a common fault on the later fords - I'm amazed that the dealers didn't go straight to the fault :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts