Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing my clutch and guess what flywheel shot, where cab I get an uprated or lighter flywheel? and how much do they cost? am I right in thinking main dealer is going to charge me around £200 for the standard item? F*** me even Dick Turpin wore a mask.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JUN do a lightened flywheel which will improve acceleration response (but reduce the momemtum aswell). I think Justin (TorqueIC) has one on his E5 so he may be able to supply you with one for a good price (believe they are £200-£300 but don't quote me). It does make economic sense to upgrade the flywheel if your OE item is shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get a JUN ultra light flywheel (4.1 kg I think) for GBP 180 from Fair Import. Mine should arrive today! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why can't you get the original flywheel machined to take out the wear and to lighten????

It s only a spinny metal thing after all.

I paid £15 to have my flywheel lightened on my manta.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OEM flywheels are usually cheap cast and weaker than aftermarket billet steel items.

A lightened std. flywheel can explode with spectacular and often life threatening results.
This is one item that is worth spending tyhe money on and doing properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mechanic said it could be machined but it would be so thin after he wouldn't like to chance it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amen to that Lightspeed, luckily my uncle escaped any injuries when a so called 'professionally' machined down lightened OE flywheel exploded and ripped through his grass track car in the middle of a race.
For the small difference in cost for a proper lightened aftermarket flywheel against a new OE item then you might as well go the aftermarket route. I wouldn't suggest anyone fits a lightened flywheel just for the sake of it, wait until the clutch needs changing and do the whole lot in one go.
My philosophy is if a part needs replacing then you may as well replace with a better one ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claudius,

Do you have any contact details for Fair Import - you've mentioned them a few times and i think you put a contact mail at some point but i can't find it.

Thanks,

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a JUN flywheel on my evo and it did make a nice difference.....well worth doing.

By the time id paid shipping,duty,vat,bank charges etc etc the JUN flywheel cost me
well over £300; and that was with a 20% discount from JUN. How fair import
can get them for £180 is beyone me, so I may buy a couple from them when
I see their contact details.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im sure ill get round to it eventually http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Justin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.