Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
um dont do it :lol:

proper flocking is done with electrostatic charging, a puffer bottle wont work right and look poop!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
As _Biggles_ said, don't do it.

You need near perfect surface preparation and electrostatic charging, plus a heat lamp or booth to cure it properly.

Get it done professionally, I had all my dash done by Autoflock and its brilliant.

cheers

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
andy there are epoxies galore that dont need post baking mate. but to get the proper flock effect, the gun and pice to be covered so have a ridiculously high potential difference on voltage.

i hopefully have a proper DCA flocking kit here soon and plant to flock everything in sight LOL. im getting it back from a customer i sold it to, doesnt need it any longer, so selling it back to me at 25% of its price :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Oh I see, well thats something else i've learned today....:smthumbup

You're getting a real bargain there then, so we expect to see many updates on flocked items...:smthumbup

andy there are epoxies galore that dont need post baking mate. but to get the proper flock effect, the gun and pice to be covered so have a ridiculously high potential difference on voltage.

i hopefully have a proper DCA flocking kit here soon and plant to flock everything in sight LOL. im getting it back from a customer i sold it to, doesnt need it any longer, so selling it back to me at 25% of its price :D

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
yeah, starting with my centre console build :D

i dont fancy outting the dash to flock though, seems a lot of graft! that said 90% impossible in situ.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
um dont do it :lol:

proper flocking is done with electrostatic charging, a puffer bottle wont work right and look poop!
Had my dash done in my other car that way, right mare getting it out and back in without damaging it. But thought for a few little parts this might do the job :) cheap enough might give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Had my dash done in my other car that way, right mare getting it out and back in without damaging it. But thought for a few little parts this might do the job :) cheap enough might give it a whirl.
OK proper flocking is designed to stand up, on end into the epoxy binder. the only way to achieve that properly is with a large static charge.

the static charge has two functions:

it aligns the particles
it keeps them apart

the puffer bottle does make a charge as you squeeze the flock through it, but no where near enough IMO. so a lot of fibres lay down and look pants.

try it, but ill be honest, i think youll be disappointed!

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
How well does flocking wear?? , seen lots of people post pics after its just been fitted but whats it like after a couple of years??

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
autoflock did mine and the entire dash, 2 center consoles and all little trims and bits fo rthe dash only cost just over £100 - its not expensive !

Quality is superb as well

Ian

·
Banned
100 Posts
The flock is as sturdy and resiliant as the adhesive used, for example polyester resins are great for parts that do not flex and stay rigid but are not very good for parts exposed to thermal change, epoxy's however do have a flex but are not sensitive to changes in temperature. I use various epoxy resins, done quite a few few kitcars (7 style) which are exposed to both sun and rain with no issues at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts