Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I rally an EVO3 with GEMS management but need more power (don't we all)

I know the engine is the other way round but is there any way of fitting a later engine in the EVO3? Any web links.. books.. whatever will be welcome....

Ian

·
Registered
966 Posts
Why would you want to do that? There is no reason why you can't build your evo 3 engine up with forged internals and a massive turbo and get ridiculous amounts of power out of it.

One question I have though, what class do you rally it in because most of the classes rally that I am aware of would not allow you to fit a different engine or turbo in any case.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only Group N that limits the changes that can be made.... mega power... that sounds good

would I need just steel rods and forged pistons.. a quick re-map to wind the turbo up and off we go.....

or is there much more to it?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
dont think you would be allowed under group n rules as the engine would not be the homuligated one that is fitted to the standard car
and anyway early evo engine are as good as late ones easily :confused:

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Just put a stock Ecu on it and keep it standard, then sell me the GEMs to me for buttons so i can maximise my new Forged engine and big turbo :D

Cheers
ian

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if I confused.. I don't run in Group N.. so the only limit I have is a 34mm turbo restrictor.. after that !!!!

Does anyone know about getting power out of evo 3's?

I currently run 1.5bar but ideally want to use 2bar... what mods should I do to the engine?

Ian

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Ok the short answer :) ...Forged Pistons ( Ross or Je ), stronger rods ( Eagle or Crower etc) then uprated mulitlayer steel head gasket with ARP head studs will more or less sort the internals, to run 2bar though you will need a better turbo and injectors etc..cant see the point if you have to keep the restrictor as that will prob limit power to approx 350hp anyhow ?

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have to keep the restrictor it's the rules... she currently gived 265bhp and 324lb/ft of torque... so 350brake would be very nice :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
your running 1.5 bar and only have 265 bhp thats not too good even with a 34mm restrictor are you running group a then
mike

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
who do you use to map steve simpson ????
if you dont mind me asking what championship do you rally in and where are you based

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am doing selected EMAMC championchip events, based near Nottingham, the car was mapped by Noble Motorsport

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Capacity increase is allowed but I don't have bottomless pockets.... The BHP figure !!! not sure whether that was wheels or flywheel... was on a rolling road.. I'll ask tomorrow

Ian

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Ian,

Give us a shout on the info above, i can't see what the problem is??, on our EVO 3 grp A cars, we used JE pistons c/w Galant rods, std turbo c/w 34 mm restrictor, on GEMS, and we had 2 bar no problem..

I'm just about to sort the same engine mods for an EVO 1 project car we've got on the go...

Cheers

Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts