Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where shall I start ?

Initially I spose , with all the indecision around which turbo to go for as a replacement for the very well capable Evo400 Ti BB hybrid that has been on the car for about a year. I considered the Reds , the greens , the blacks , the BBk`s and the 205`s.

As the year 2010 came upon us and my new years resolution of enjoying this year to the max I plumped for the Ross Sport GT30HTA kit and asked Mr VISA for a new present :D

My engine had already been forged at RG courtesy of a head gasket failure last year at Brands and all the other mods are done . So , the final bit of the jigsaw was a big turbo. A trip down to see STORMYGUY ( :smthumbup ) and drool over his kit was the clincher.

I spoke to Ross and ordered the kit . It all arrived in one big box and the quality was amazing. Shiny metal ooooooooh :mhihi:

Automotive exhaust Plumbing Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Tread Automotive design

As well as the turbo kit I needed injectors , FPR and I also got an Ingalls Stiffy. It was like xmas all over again - but better !

A date was set with [email protected] and we set to work , nice and early as we had some serious biscuit eating to do :lol:

Out with the old and in with the new :

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust

I must say the fit was ok , but with the V-Band system it made it easier to move the whole lot around and get it to where we needed it. Rich fabricated the downpipe to fit whilst I attached the slimline fan on the Radiator.Then onto the FPR fitment. Unfortunately two hose fittings were missing so the fuel system could not be uprated so no mapping that day....:mad: booh

Ross was very apologetic and sent them out Special Delivery which is great customer service and most appreciated. This meant driving home with no boost and that was dull. I put the car in the garage and tried to forget about it. :cry:

....... until today when I ventured back down to RG and the last push began. On with the injectors and on with the FPR :

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

a few little tweaks here and there and a final check before mapping.

The smile got bigger and bigger ! The boost was set at 2 bar and Rich mentioned he was able to add 5 degrees of ignition which is good .... apparently :crackup:

2 bar is reached at 3600rpm and held all the way to 8000rpm. I have no plans to dyno the kit as that doesnt interest me so much. Yes it pulls like a train and even with the 1000cc injectors it drives perfectly well off boost. This is probably down the the mapping. I would say that noise levels have stayed the same within the cabin off boost and it cruises on the motorway at an indicated 80mph off boost at 3500rpm. When on boost it sounds more "angry" which is what I expected having changed to a 4 inch K&N filter.

I would just like to thank [email protected] for his hard work and perseverance and Ross for supplying all the goodies. Its a great kit and delivers the goods. I`m sure I`ve missed something out . Feel free to ask ??

Attachments

·
Ross Sport
17,141 Posts
Nice one Chris, glad to hear you are enjoying your new found power!
Looks like RG has done a great job as usual.
That 30HTA is kind of hard to describe isn't it :D
Miles & miles of smiles :D

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Excellent read! Makes me want more powaaaa!! :naughty: :lol:

How does it compare to your previous tubby?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does it compare to your previous tubby?
Loads more power at the top end where the previous one was getting breathless. So much so that Rich increased the rev limit to 8 grand from 7200. Spool is marginally later than the evo400 hybrid but equally as strong and then just keeps going from there :naughty:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...and just to add as I forgot. Popped to Brands and had it static noise tested. 98.5 decibels. That .5 of a decibel quieter than it was with std manifold etc etc :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its on a forged 2 litre.

By way of adding to the review I`ve done a few miles with it now and just got back from a little backroad blast. I cant believe how fast it is. I`m certainly leaning on the brakes more proably due to arriving at the corners a hell of a lot quicker. Having driven some well known roads the car picks up better and really gets into its stride.

No surge whatsoever , in fact I have only noticed a small surge twice since installing the kit and once was during mapping and the second was when i had to lift off just as it was peaking on boost , but even then it was hardly noticeable.

One of the reasons I went for this turbo was that I wouldnt have to max it out all the time to get the performance I wanted which was my fear in a stock framed turbo. Looking at the gauge I spent most of the time peaking at 1.6bar and even that was probably a bit quicker than I should have been going. God knows what would have happened if the throttle was wide open and pushing 2 bar . Farmers field springs to mind. BUt it is nice to have there in reserve.

Overtaking now is similiar to bike performance and thus the gaps dont have to be as big. Full boost is at 3600revs which is perfect to pull out and get past without a gear change mid overtake.
The temperature gauge has remained at the normal 74 degress and the 1000cc injectors have not had any ill effect on idle or slow driving. Torque is plentyful at 35mph in 4th and 5th if you want to be lazy and the car responds like a NA car below 3500 revs ( with a little bit of turbine whistle which is nice !)

Even a full chat run I`m getting minimal knock shown on the PFC , which is confidence inspiring.
Now the question is ....... do I put it away or shall I give it another quick run round the block :mhihi:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chris, good write up! I'm really glad you're pleased with Ross's kit... kind of hard to describe the fun isn't it :)

See you up at Brands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts