Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed discs and pads 2000km. ago. I changed them in a rally team garage, they only told me that the pads were ferodo and that they were better than DS3000pads. They didn´t want to tell me what is the material of the pads but the car brakes very good. The problem is that this pads squeal a lot; and at night, in hard brakes you can see sparks coming out from the brakes. The rally team manager has told that this is normal with this pads due to their material.
Have you seen this before?
Bye

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
The DS 3000 is the Racing compound from Ferodo. They don't produce any other compound with a higher fricition co-efficient. It's 0.62 u. I wouldn't use these pads as they shave your disc (that's what you see in the night, the hot stuff coming off your disc) and destroy the lacquer of your wheels and the sideskirts. Personnaly I wouldn't use them on the road. Ferodo itself state they're for comp. use only. This is the quote found on their website:

The main characteristics of the DS3000 compound are:

reduced bedding in time (approximately 50% quicker than other materials)
extremely high friction level (0,62 coefficient of friction) at any temperature or speed
higher initial bite
predictability, in all conditions, when braking into the corner because of the flat friction curve
less off brake between the brake pedal and throttle
When using this material with light inertia racing cars, as a general rule, it is necessary to apply less brake pedal pressure than you would normally expect. This will avoid over-braking and the generation of excessive heat in the braking system and discs.
WARNING: DS3000 is NOT suitable for road use.

Hope this helps

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your anwer Mike, but they told me that all their customers are using this pads for road use, and that they love this pads because its brake power.
I asked them about the ds3000, and they told me that they had got them but that pads were better. That´s why I told before that they are not Ds3000 pads, but they must be ferodo. I don´t know.
Bye

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
they are ferodo ds3000 plus these have even more friction than the ds3000 the bad thing about these pads are the sparks comming out the wheels and shag the laquer and wheels

you better can go for carbon metallic 97 compound also a very high friction pads but no sparkes comming out the wheels just a lot really a lot of dust
these pads brake just as good as the ds3000 but you can better find the lock up in youre brake padel the ds3000 locks up very easy.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
no not by ferodo

they squeal sometimes almost squeal free if you put some coppergrease or the standard shims behind the squealing must be over

performance friction are manufacturer

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I've got Pagid RS or RF 14 or sthg, you know, the ones they use in GrN. Very good bite (much better than OEM) and even better when hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
if you use high friction pads like pagid rs14 or ds3000 or carbon metallic they have all sparkes in the brake area only ds3000 is the most worst

even youre standard pads gives sparks if you use them very hard.

evowilly i use the 97 compound now this is very good pad it s in the same leaque as the pagid rs14 or ds3000
performance friction makes these

the only problem is that all standard brembo discs will even warp faster with these high friction pads because they put even more heat in shorter time into the discs
even with standard pads youre discs will warp but it takes longer because these pads does not build up heat as fast as high friction pads do

the brembo discs can handle a certain kind of tempereture but if you go over it they will warp.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
willy

I have nothing to complain about the Pagid pads. They dont squeal, they just have great bite and even more so when hot. There is no **** coming out of the wheels, just cleaned my car today, no burnt sideskirts (scoobymike! http://194.93.140.171/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) or shìt hard to get off the wheels, just plain better.
However, I have heard from MAXI that these pads will eat the discs a little faster, not sure if this worries you, I replaced my discs anyway by Project Mu discs (or CTF discs rather, the Italian Project Mu importer). They look great, separate red anodised aluminum bowl...

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Claudius

thanks for sharing your experience with the Pagid RS 14. I've got now my set (front and rear) and the porker discs. But before I fit the whole stuff I exchange my hubs and wheel bearings on warranty. So I'm sure those components don't affect my new discs badly.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Good move scoobymike! Make sure to let us know how they perform...

Did you check the max temp of your brake fluid?

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
andre

I found the opposite to you , when I fitted my PFC 97c pads they didn`t warp the Brembo discs http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Where as with the std brembo pads / ds2000 pads I had been using previously , I warp various types of discs AP solid |PLS| grooved / Tarox / Group N / std Brembo etc .

The proof will be if they last the next day @ Donnington

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Claudius

I haven't checked the temp of my brake fluid but suprisingly even after the Ring, when the discs got blue all over, I didn't have air in the system.
With the superior venting system of the porker discs and the ceramic RS 14 pads the whole setup should operate in much lower temp areas (the same with your project u/RS 14 combo) which is not only good for the discs itself but also for the callipers, bearings etc and should give longer pad life.
I also recommend to you that you open the ducts into the wheel arche. Because now no air comes to the discs. With this and the above mentioned stuff I hope I won't get any warping anymore.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Dario

I don't know why they didn't duct the air into the wheel arche on the TME but I think it's the same on all EVO VI. In my opinion this is one of the main factors for the warping, not enough cool air onto the calliper and disc.
Is it different on the V?

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, on the 5 it goes into the wheelarch!

Anyway, how would you recommend to duct the air there? No way I'm buying the PE duct for GBP 300!

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Claudius

I'll cut-off the piece of the duct which points to the ground and add my on duct onto the existing duct (made from alloy) which goes into the wheel arche. At least you have some air in the wheel arche. Later I'll get some duct shields which you can fit on the anti-rollbar and they duct the air directly on the calliper.

My mate who uses the whole porker setup has opened the foglight holes on his RSII and he has no problems at all even after more than 40 laps on the Ring. He can drive several laps in a row and no heat problems. He doesn't need any carbon/metallic pads to have strong bite he can even look the wheels easily at 200km/h. So the brakes already exceed the grip of the tyres with Pagid orange pads. This speaks for the setup.

If I still get warping than it's the standard calliper but I think with the above mentioned mods it shouldn't warp again.

On Dario's EVO the brakes don't warp and the only noticable difference to our car are the brake ducts!

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I have to find a way of ducting air in there, but it's not easy to find a solid attachment point since the wheels turn!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts