Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lads,

As the title says.. I had been doing a big service of the evo and when it had finish I decided to fit one of my new rims to the left front, just to see how it looked. After this I was refitting my regular rims but couldn't use the wheelgun as my friend was using the compressor. So I hand tightend them (as the evo was suspended) and thought I would secure them with the wheelgun when my mate was finished.

In the meantime my friends had come in, I got distracted and NEVER PROPERLY TIGHTEND MY LEFT FRONT:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

So last night, as i was going about a 100mph, I noticed this big vibration in the car. It would shift just fine, just all kinds of noises and vibrations. So, this morning I looked at the wheel and found out... I feel like a fool.. :rotz:
But my question, between all the laugher which I must say, I deserve, could I have broken something in the drivetrain? The wheel studs all seem to be fine and straight.

Was I really lucky or am I going to have to pay for my stupidity?

·
acting daft since 1969
19,604 Posts
its very hard to say if youve done any damage ,if the nuts where finger tight and the wheel was stil sat in the wheel center on the hub and youve not lost any wheel nuts you MAY have got away with it ,but if the wheel has run at any time resting in the wheel studs it would be a good idea to swop them

·
Premium Member
10,867 Posts
Wouldn't of said drive train, but won't of done the wheel bearing a great deal of good. I would also replace all the studs from that wheel.. How are the threads in the hub and holes in wheel? May be worth getting tracking looked at too..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The threads were ok and i could easily put on the wheel nuts without any resistance on the thread. Didn't lose any nuts either..

Just something else that I can't seem to wrap around my head, as I was parking my car yesterday I briefly didn't have initial brake pressure. When I would push the pedal for the second time, pressure would be normal. And just now the brake pressure seemed fine and fluid is good. Could this be affected?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I had my exige. It didn't do any damage to mine, so hopefully you will be ok.....I had no tools on me and like a fool crawled home about 15 motorway miles.... Doh!!!!

·
acting daft since 1969
19,604 Posts
The threads were ok and i could easily put on the wheel nuts without any resistance on the thread. Didn't lose any nuts either..

Just something else that I can't seem to wrap around my head, as I was parking my car yesterday I briefly didn't have initial brake pressure. When I would push the pedal for the second time, pressure would be normal. And just now the brake pressure seemed fine and fluid is good. Could this be affected?
the brake disc is floating untill you bolt the wheel up tight so YEAH your brakes wouldnt have worked first shove as youll have knocked the pads back a bit ,but thats nothing to worry about as long as you make sure your wheel nuts are tight this time :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,867 Posts
I would take off the wheel and have a big visual inspection of hub, brake line, caliper, driveshaft. If you can't find anything then personally I would bolt it all back up ( tightly ! ) and keep a close eye on it. Should be ok IMO ..

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Sounds like you have gotten away with it, check the wheel it's self tho for the stud holes being damaged or elongated.
Regardless off using an air gun to tighten the wheels or not you should always torque the wheels to the correct specification so they are not over tightened or under tightened thus eliminating this problem, personally I only "nip" the nuts with a gun and then torque every wheel with the wheel off the ground holding it with my left arm and torquing with my right :smthumbup

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Will double and triple check everything from now on! When we're using my mate garage, we use the airtools for everything as its easier.. I messed up.

·
Anthony
3,743 Posts
Have a good look and if it appears ok you're probably fine.
I remember many years ago I left my III parked in a shopping centre Carpark. Some dick musta thought he'd be funny and loosened off my left front wheels nuts.
I left the carpark and hit the Highway like a rocket as usual, and I shat myself at the massive vibrations from the front.
I pulled up gently and soon saw what the problem was. Tightened it back up and drove home. Never had a problem with it, but invested in locking wheel nuts lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts