Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while my TME is in winter storage I find myself frequenting this forum more and more, usually the Parts For Sale TBH. I guess I just miss the car.
I can't help but chase power numbers as long as I can afford it - within reason, I'm not gonna shove a GT35 on, I'm after a flat-ish torque curve, instant midrange response etc
I'm currently around the supposed "sweet spot" of 400/400 (2.2, 264s, 80series) but I constantly worry about costs and reliability compared to real world performance.
I read through this post about what is the sweet spot for tuning- around 4 months ago troll infested, talking-a-load-balls (by some - provoking silly replies) thread and I found myself asking a different question:

Those who push BIG power: If you had your time again, where would you've drawn the line? What was the point of no return where you wish you'd stopped at? Do you regret the rollcage on the daily? Harnesses? Turbo too big for road use? Cams pushing power too high up the rev range? Clutches destroying traffic driving? Poly bushing making the NVH too much? etc etc...
I've never liked being broken down on the side of the road since owning a Clio 182 :cry: And I've hated harnesses on a daily since my old XR2 ZVH turbo :smthumbdo
FWIW, I only use my cars on the road, for overtaking, nighttime spirited driving, some long distance motorway driving and even taking the wife on the occasional date night (hey, I spend a lot on the evo, why take her out in the daily?). No competition or track use.

Paul

P.S. "BIG" power is purely subjective here ;) So there is no right or wrong answer, just personal experiences and opinions to which there are no arguments. DON'T BE C|-|NTS!

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
As a road car running 300atw i feel i could use more, but not at the expense of spool/lag/moving the powerband too high up the rev range... from previous cars paddle clutches and aggressive diffs are no fun on the road ither... neither are harnesses, cages or coilovers for that matter.

·
5,456 Posts
My old Evo 7 was such a nice car to drive around 350 BHP.
Then the number bug came and I wanted more.
The car was then forged and had a HKS 7460 turbo and a few other mods which put it to around 400/400.
The car was absolutely perfect there, but no I still wanted more so the turbo changed 3076 HTA with twin plate. I think it's at this stage the car got un-road friendly so I sold it and bought a X :lol:
I know it wasn't mega power just in the 500+ range but I wish I stopped at 400/400. It was an ideal very quick road car at that stage :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I've left mine at around 380/360 for a long time, maybe 6-7 years now, it's reliable at that, and realistically about as quick as it needs to be on the road. I suppose if it got driven every day I might want more, but it still feels quick to me, not surprising given that I spend most of my life in a 110 Connect!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I think it's at this stage the car got un-road friendly so I sold it and bought a X :lol:
I know it wasn't mega power just in the 500+ range but I wish I stopped at 400/400. It was an ideal very quick road car at that stage :smthumbup
Out of curiosity is your X 400 standard or is it modified?

·
5,456 Posts
This.

Care to elaborate?
Going over the 400 having to have more stuff done just made the car uncomfortable to drive and more track focused.
I'm sure I could have left a single plate clutch and changed more frequently, but more power to me means a harsher ride to make the car last and more stable.
Obviously everyone will have different opinions, but for me a very fast spooling 400/400 car was just so much more fun.
All personal opinions :lol:

·
Registered
608 Posts
My opinion from that mentioned thread remain the same (page 8)

See this one too:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=527465

This one is good (400bhp vs 600bhp)!
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=433324

Don't listen to the people who have not OWNED a big bhp car and id recommend calling out those people with opinions. As you can see from my posts there's a lot of repeated second hand opinion on the matter as most haven't owned or even driven a 600 bhp (as an example) evo, but like to repeat the opinions of others (probably for popularity elevation).

Those who have have gone big bhp and then back to 400 ish either had the wrong parts for the job, bad build or are just scared :). Believe me, you can put 600 bhp down everywhere with some balls and your head screwed on (ie. the same amount as 400bhp) and it can still be perfectly suited for a slow sunday trip with the mrs... Id never go back!!

Correctly specced and well built is the key to achieving a faster version of the road car that you have, rather than a noisy, power bandy, highly strung and uncomfortable mess.

Do it.... But do it right!:smthumbup

·
Been here a while now....
1,245 Posts
I'm currently at 404/386, happy with the power but would like more! i know more means big £££ and i can not justify it on my car that i don't use enough. As you state, does reliability come in to it when starting to go big? I've never had a more powerful car so can not comment on that and perhaps you are correct in a road car over 400 being a little pointless perhaps?
Im sure someone will defend otherwise....

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
I've gone from standard => 400/385 => 420/450 => 490/410 => 470/465

I think standard was fine until I got to Stage 1; wow, what a huge difference that was.

420/450 was brilliant, really torquey, low down grunt, but ran out of puff above 6k, so a little frustrating when going flat out.

490/410 was crazy, went like stink when on boost, super quick, but I had to adjust my driving style to accommodate the later spool, so driving around town slow wasn't so much fun.

I think where I am now is probably a really nice balance of out and out power all the way to the red line with some nice low down grunt...I'm hoping anyway!! :smthumbup

Would I go back to 400/385.....no, as my low boost setting is that and I never use it! :lol: (though admittedly I haven't driven my car very much since I picked her up!)

·
5,456 Posts
Is the turbo on the 400 a ball bearing unit? Not had my X for long but the lag from the MHI billet at times is starting to bug me. It's only 476, want to get it to around 500 but with better response.
Yes and the spool is very good. If you wNt to stick around the 400 mark then it's a good turbo. I think Sean Arnell was over the 400 with the same turbo :smthumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts