Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quote on the cost of changing my ECU from Admiral, here's what they said

Need info on break horse increase, 11-25% increase in bhp would be an extra £556, 26|PLS|% increases and over would have to be refered.

Bl00dy extra £556, Jesus H Christ, I'm really quite f*cking unimpressed by this (as you might have picked up subtly by reading between the lines)

Just wondered what sort of increase in insurance others had when they changed or remapped the ECU

Thanks

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had no increases with any of my mods! Norwich Union, through A-One Insurance (call Mick Brown on 01202 760022)

Costs me £1260 a year, full no claims, living in Reading, full trackday cover all year round - they have a full report on every mod on the car, pictures - the lot. Cost me the same when it was only ralliart stage 1!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Blade, I think I'll have a look at changing companies.

Good point, can someone move this to general please

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gave Mick a call, good guy to talk to, unfortunately there isn't really anything he could do for me until I turn 30 (in 3 years time :()

He gave me a quote for around 2.2k that would probably cover all mods to the car |PLS| track day, however I only pay around 1.3k atm anyway, although this doesn't cover track day, I guess it will work out at about the same but I'll have to start the years no claims again, I think I'll stick with Admiral until the end of the year and then look at moving unless anyone else has any ideas?

Ta
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the same boat with Axa via A-plan.

They are okay with exhaust, filter and springs, but will load the policy by 25% if I fit an aftermarket dump valve!!?? Premium at the moment is £900, pretty cheap compared to others, but 25 bloody percent for a dump valve. :(

Advised to contact again when I want further mods above this like ecu so they can group them together.

...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you tell your insurance if the premium goes up? Just have it put back to std if an expert comes after an accident or so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan,
1 of the advantages of the PE remap 2 the factory ECU is it cannot b seen on a visual inspection , so no need 2 tell 'em :)

They r not going 2 know if yr car produces 330 or 400 bhp unless they RR test it , very unlikely , and if yr car was totally stuffed impossible anyway ;)

Really u only need 2 declare visable mods and even then...... say if u had an upgraded turbo.......u cud remove and replace with the original b4 an inspection.

All this hypothetical of course :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear what you are saying and I did do this for a while, but knowing my Donald Duck I'd get caught if anything happened.

Lucky white heather...anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evoboy, yeah I hear what you are saying, but like Evojkp says, its would just be my luck, what if its a bad crash and I can't replace the stuff.....

I don't think its worth risking imho, I'll just change to something else (maybe like blayke has) when this year runs out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always have it in the back of my mind that you are not going to claim for a town centre bump due to the XS and future damage to your NCB, even protected NCBs can fall foul of claims. It's better to pay for the repairs yourself.

With an Evo it is more likely that you are going to run out of talent on a backroad and have a serious off, where you are not able to get yer bits off it.....then oops sorry sir, car modded...policy cancelled....have a nice day now!!

Maybe I'm the soft touch and panicky **** that insurance companies lurv!!

I'm with U Ryan, wait till renewal time and get the proper cover up front.

Blade I've got a note of yer insurance broker and I'll be giving them a call at that time. BTW...the Evo rebuild is looking absolutely awesome, if yer gonna mod it...do it right, is the motto here me thinks, it's looking the mutts nutts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original Post:
Why would you tell your insurance if the premium goes up? Just have it put back to std if an expert comes after an accident or so.
Because dishonest insurance dodgers are the scum of the earth and are part of the reason why we pay such high premiums here in the UK?

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
droid,
Get real M8 , ever known a poor insurance company , I have inside info on these legalised crooks and believe me on this they will use any excuse 2 rape us.
How is it that I was quoted almost £1200 on renewal but when I called them with a lower quote from an alternative insurer they matched it on the spot , down 2 £840 !!!!!!!!!
If insurance wasn't a legal requirement things wud b so different.

Moan at the thieving scum , thats the real problem , if the insurance company doesn't recover the vehicle its a total loss , thats the big bucks.

Get the best alarm and immobiliser and park carefully.

Just 2 elaborate further on the mods thing , even if u have a big 1 make sure u have yr own recovery company collect your car and take it 2 an Evo friendly repairer. Then take enuf time 2 complete the accident report so that the garage or u can remove the offending stuff and replace with standard , theres always a way :)

Might b good 4 any further chat on this subject 2 go by email :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get real M8 , ever known a poor insurance company

No. I've never known a poor supermarket but I've never thought it reasonable to steal from one.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Droid,

No disrespect , but supermarkets r different 2 insurance companies , u pay money and have goods in return with a supermarket.

Insurance companies use mods 2 cars as an excuse 2 prise money from us , by being as devious as them and not providing full info we r just saving money , not stealing from them , they still get there stupidly high premium , and if like me u havn't claimed in the last 7 years thats good income , who's the thief then ?

The twonks that deserve a shoeing r drivers who don't pay insurance at all.

The system is very good at brain washing us citizens with their propaganda , don't make it so easy for 'em :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Droid

you change the exhaust on an Evo, the insurance company want an extra GBP 556 or so and you think it would be stealing FROM THEM not telling them you have it? You must be out of your mind man, no, wait, you are out of your mind, you bought an M3! Surely doesnt matter to you, you cant increase boost or anything on your HAIRDRESSER 's car. You could add a turbo or compressor, but it's fast enough for you anyway. So why dont you go crawl around on a beemer board and leave us angry at people who rip us off. As if the Japanese parts prices werent already high enough. But hey, even if the premium were GBP 2,000 the Evo would still drive away from your Bayerische Motoren Werke Nappa Leder-mobile that takes fückin ages to rev up.

Love

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Claudius,

you change the exhaust on an Evo

The original poster specified it was the ECU, not exhaust. Don't worry, alcohol affects my ability to read as well.

the insurance company want an extra GBP 556 or so and you think it would be stealing FROM THEM not telling them you have it?

How about this ... you change your ECU thus making the car faster. Statistics say that this also makes the car less safe. If you don't tell the insurance company, you are, effectively driving without insurance. Now, you crash into another car, your insurance company finds out you're a liar and decides not to pay up. Even worse than that, they don't pay the driver you crashed into either, and that driver has to go through all kinds of hassle making an uninsured loss claim. They might still lose their no-claims bonus, which might cost them several hundred pounds over the next couple of years, even though the accident wasn't their fault. Of course, once they find out how clever you'd been by saving a couple of hundred quid by lying to your insurance company, they'd probably say ... Gee, this guy's so clever and devious I'll just forgive him for everything he's done. In your case, he'd probably ask your Daddy nicely for some compensation and all would be sorted.

that takes fückin ages to rev up.

We've already established in a previous thread the reason you think it takes ages to rev. up is because you don't know how to change gear :D (I know ... when I was 17 and just learning to drive I also found it hard to negotiate the tricky route from 2nd to 3rd gear).

On a serious note ... the reason why we pay so bloody much for insurance (especially in the UK) is because of dishonest and irresponsible tossers who think it's really OK to try to avoid paying just that little bit extra, or even not at all. The system is annoying and we all hate insurance companies for the right reason, but it's not just the insurance companyt that's affected when someone decides it's clever to hide a material fact from them.

The high insurance costs are also down to those annoying no win no fee so-called legal firms who encourage anyone who broke a fingernail in an accident to sue the living daylights out of the insurance companies ... but that's a separate topic.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to clear a few things up, it was the ECU that they wanted £556 extra for, there is no way I won't tell them about the ECU change regardless of how much they are ripping me off, if its too much I will look for a different insurer, simple.

The issue really is around the decat, given that its illegal not to have one (please correct me on this if I'm wrong) will the insurers cover me for it or do I have to be devious about having it fitted?

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Droid,
U've lost the plot M8 :)

Listen..........................................thats me letting u have the last word ;)

Claudius,
Right on the buttom man !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Be it ECU or exhaust is just playing on words, we all know the ECU is useless without the exhaust...

Ian sounds like an intelligent person, I really cant understand wyh he bought the wrong car (to go fast, not to pick up women). Thinking of scoobymike, each to his own!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.