Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Does anyone know the difference between a normal rear LSD (as on the Evo6 RS and RS-2) and the competition rear LSDs ?
I noticed that the GSR also doesnt come with a front LSD.
Is it possible to fit a front LSD on the car if it has ABS (My makinen has ABS/AYC) ?

Thanks

- ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can buy a limited slip diff from ralliart for the front

WRC diffs are all electronic diffs wich they can manually change inside the car to open and full lock we all wish we had those

GSR has an AYC on the rear it gives the power to wheel wich has the most grip.
a mechanical diff are in different versions 30, 40, 50% etc lock i don t know exacly how % a rear RS or RS2 diff locks

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the brakes have any influence on what diffs you can add to your car. You can change all the diffs if you want to, you just have to know what specs you need. It also depends on how much money you want to invest...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can replace the AYC with the normal RS diff. Cusco make an LSD to replace the AYC as well, but they do not make them anymore because they didnt sell enough (ref LSD 148F).
You can replace the front diff with a real LSD from Ralliart or Cusco etc. The front diff on the TME is BS.
ABS has nothing to do with the LSDs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is fitted with a mechanical LSD in the rear and I'm not sure about the front.

I believe it may have a high percentage of lock because while turning at low speeds (under 15 mph and more than 45 degrees turn) there is a knocking/grinding sound from the diff. It doesn't do it while the wheels are suspended, only while driving on the road. Most noticeably while pulling out of junctions or parking.

Would this mean it has a 100% lock ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

What is meant by the percentage of lock for a diff ?
I would like to get a front LSD. Which ones would you recommend ?

Thank you

- ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may be wrong on this but I believe the higher the percentage of lock, the wheel will rotate exactly the same.

eg. on a normal car while turning, the inside wheel spins at a different speed to the outside wheel allowing for easy manouvering. I think it spins slower.

With a 100% diff lock both wheels would rotate at exactly the same speed whether cornering or not. This usually used for drag racing starts or rallying I believe. On dry tarmac it would cause the wheels to skip if turned sharply at low speed, I think this is what happens in my car.

If I am wrong, hopefully someone can correct me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered a new Ralliart front diff from Japan, it's supposed to be very good, reduce the damn understeer and MAY overcome the AYC. I will get this part next Wednesday, hopefully have it installed by the weekend. I'll let you know how it is.
I would normally have ordered a CUSCO LSD, they are supposed to be very good, but was recommended this one, made especially for the TME, supposedly exists since August.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts