Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if when your MOT expires are u allowd any time after to get it done? Reason i ask is my friend has just managed to fix his car after a few weeks and the MOT is 3days out of date, we were going to nip to manchester tonight do u think we would get in trouble if we were stopped? hope u can help

·
acting daft since 1969
19,591 Posts
you can take your car for its MOT up to 30 days BEFORE it runs out for an MOT and still get 12 months from the date its due ,so basicly a 13 month ticket

as said if its not MOTd at all its not legal

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
I was driving a car for 5-6 months without MOT, didn't realise that MOT was due (55 plate car) until i tried to tax it online and was told no MOT was ont he car. Been tailed by police cars plenty of times with no results.

Don't stress and get it MOT'd asap.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,591 Posts
you may well have done ,it still means you wernt insured ,if the law had been using an ANPR thing they would have rummble you ,an taken your car and charged you to get it back

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I was driving a car for 5-6 months without MOT, didn't realise that MOT was due (55 plate car) until i tried to tax it online and was told no MOT was ont he car. Been tailed by police cars plenty of times with no results.

Don't stress and get it MOT'd asap.
Without appearing arguementative, driving with no MOT by accident because you didn't realise it was up (i've done it myself) is one thing and NO excuse if you're caught as you're uninsured!

Telling someone to carry on driving a vehicle they KNOW to have no MOT is however, irresponsible & downright stupid. Just hope someone with no MOT doesn't crash into you, it won't seem so clever then when you lose your pride & joy because of some uninsured plank!

·
MLR MEMBER
493 Posts
Without appearing arguementative, driving with no MOT by accident because you didn't realise it was up (i've done it myself) is one thing and NO excuse if you're caught as you're uninsured!

Telling someone to carry on driving a vehicle they KNOW to have no MOT is however, irresponsible & downright stupid. Just hope someone with no MOT doesn't crash into you, it won't seem so clever then when you lose your pride & joy because of some uninsured plank!
PLUS 1 HERE MATE:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
dont know if it is still the same, but as above, if the car is booked into a garage for an MOT, as long as it is insured you are ok to drive it straight to the garage, but it has to be a direct route to the closest approved MOT centre

Stu
Doesn't have to be the nearest mot centre :smthumbup

·
Registered
18,120 Posts

You are perpetuating a myth, you are NOT uninsured UNLESS your policy EXPLICITLY states so. You are uninsured if have no MOT and it is PROVEN that the car was unroad worthy at the time.

Now you can argue semantics all day but it is a fact.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
You are perpetuating a myth, you are NOT uninsured UNLESS your policy EXPLICITLY states so. You are uninsured if have no MOT and it is PROVEN that the car was unroad worthy at the time.

Now you can argue semantics all day but it is a fact.
Wrong!

What Happens if I Drive my Car Without an MOT?
If you do drive a vehicle without a valid MOT it will usually invalidate your insurance, and if you have an accident or are stopped by the police, you will be liable to face prosecution for MOT non-compliance. The only time you may drive a car without a valid MOT is if you are driving to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage that will carry out repairs that are required for your vehicle to pass the MOT test.

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/NoMOTAndThePenalties.html

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimertotable.htm

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Wrong!

What Happens if I Drive my Car Without an MOT?
If you do drive a vehicle without a valid MOT it will usually invalidate your insurance, and if you have an accident or are stopped by the police, you will be liable to face prosecution for MOT non-compliance. The only time you may drive a car without a valid MOT is if you are driving to a pre-arranged test appointment or to a garage that will carry out repairs that are required for your vehicle to pass the MOT test.

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/NoMOTAndThePenalties.html

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimertotable.htm
No, they are wrong but they did cover their arse by saying usually. I dont want to argue with you, it is not invalidated if you have no MOT. Fact.

Here is another one that is not well known either, insurance companies do not have the power to invalidate your insurance in a third party claim. They must pay it, however there is nothing stopping them from taking up a civil claimto recover costs from the driver if their policy states 1) we will invalidate your insurance or 2) the car was not road worthy at the time.

Of course it's silly not to drive about with a MOT, but the insurance invalidation is definitely a sticky grey area and is not as clear cut as it seems.

Finally, on a totally different note - I did hear that the government was mulling over increasing the MOT interval from 3 to 4 years. I wonder what the outcome of that was.

re: Second link you supplied, does not mention insurance but i guess you were indicating the potential penalties involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts