Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeing up a few options for exhaust upgrades - looking to do down pipe, decat or sports cat and everything back from that. The upgrades I have looked at (eg HKS, Magnex, Scoobysport, Power Engineering) don't appear to offer exhaust manifold upgrades (unless I'm missing something).

Why? I have seen one manifold upgrade offering:
http://www.racebreed.com/ralli04.htm
which claims up to 7 bhp extra from the manifold alone. Also, not sure if this would be compatible with any of the exhaust systems above.

Any thought or experiences folks?

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony,

Most exhaust manufacturers don't offer exhaust manifolds for turbo charged cars. If you want an improvemnt in this area, you could get your existing cast manifold gas flowed slightly to remove any mold lines and help smooth out any miss-match due to core movement.

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Steve - Don't know where I got the name Tony from. Doh!

Now where's that edit button?

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a place ,that they can bring exhaust manifold in for you.
And they should be able to tell you what manufactures offer exhaust manifold for the EVOs.
Check this web site and get in touch with them though
http://www.upauto.co.uk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Blowdog,

I remember reading the evaluation - just didn't twig that whole system meant exhaust manifold included. How much did it cost, if you don't mind telling?

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Steve,
It cost a little over £500, can't remember exactly though. I do remember, however, that it is the best value system out there, you won't find much cheaper other than Mongoose, but I had great problems fitting that. And when you say manifold, do u mean downpipe?
Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I bought the Magnex down pipe, Magnex CAT replacement pipe, and Blitz Nur Spec R CAT back system, I too enquired about a replacement S/S manifold.

I was told that the reason why there were very little options was because the turbo was mounted on the mainfold and manufacturers were shying away.

Having said that, Graham Goode Racing found one for me available from Japan, but at the cost of £1600 (yes sixteen hundred) I decided to leave it for the mo

Cheers

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Cem,

By manifold I mean the four pipes bolted directly onto the engine block; I think the downpipe starts after the manifold has gone 'four into one'.

Steve (non-technical person!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Magnex full-system DOES NOT include the manifold : this is a cast section on account of its job to carry the turbo, and I reckon would be virtually impossible to do in anthing but cast

Any members old enought to have owned an original Audi Quattro Turbo will know the kind of forces that the manifold has to carry in a turbo-car, and I'd suggest the manifold is best left alone !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve,

I opened up the link and was surprised to see the fabricated manifold. It won't be cheap as a good manifold will normally cost more than a full system.

The link explains that the exhaust ports do not flow smoothly into the the cast manifold due to differences in the diameters so I would take the cheap option and get your existing cast manifold ported so that it marries up perfectly.

Cheers,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know two brands that made manifolds for the evo.

BOZZ SPEED and HKS KANSAI in Japan.

I think that TDI www.tdi-plc.com supply the HKS KANSAI manifold,but I don't know the price.

The BOZZ SPEED it's around 1100£

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Christ, manifold replacements are a bit pricey! Think I will check out the porting/gas flowing option when I get the exhaust system uggraded.

Steve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts