Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the MLR trackday, and it was a real hoot. The track dried out just as the sighting laps started and it was all fun from there. There were a few entertaining offs to liven things up but nothing too serious, even the bloke who rolled his car managed a smile and a wave as he got towed past the pits.

Ta to Darin and Brian for organising a superb day out and thanks to Thorak for some great passenger laps in the 'Dragon mobile' - that 4 wheel drift and recovery out of Craner was a bit of a brown trouser moment :)

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve

No problem mate, Just glad you enjoyed them. I also had a good day but no real brown trouser moments expect one.
A black integra did a 1080 degree spin at the old hairpin as I approched it at over 110mph. Lets just say I chose a route right and prayed :) . It did not end up in tears and I surviced to drive another day.http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve

Was nice to meet you again. It was my brother that was passenger in the rolled car, the driver and him were taken in the ambulance back to the medical centre to be checked, both are fine. The guy in the car was not the owner as it was towed past. I had met him for the first time that morning and he is a top bloke. We moved up to where his car was to help him in the afternoon.

Hope to see you again soon.

Skip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear they were okay, saw the car being towed back, how did it happen?

Big thanks to Darin, really enjoyable day, several highlights for me, one was keeping up with and being let through by the ferrari (I have a bog standard 6 GSR except brake upgrade), enjoyed listening to it and the RS Porsche.

Most enjoyable was being overtaken by the 7 Extreme S at Redgate where it then proceeded to flame out all the way to the exit of the old hairpin.

Who had the silver 6, Reg:T xxx EVO? That was one fast car, anyone know what mods it had?

Also enjoyed watching and listening to Thorak's Dragon.

Roll on the next Donny day

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh it was superb :)

HOWEVER I thought that Donington on the 5th compared with other trackdays (such as Croft on 18th August) it wasn't as well... erm... policed . I witnessed several people jumping in as passengers without arm bands and also some cars turned up in the afternoon who missed the briefing in the morning. Also the guy letting the cars out of the pit lane managed to time some of them perfectly to make cars on the track swerve to the right!!!

Prize prats of the day go easily to the red Astra and the white Cavalier who were racing each other, they wanted removed from the track!!! Also some driving standards were completely disgraceful - I was REALLY hassled by a couple of drivers an inch off my bumper! (I DO pull over just not in corners!!!). Also one guy who took the Oakley (the dealer on the day - is that their name?) EVO6 out for a spin was a complete wuss and would not let anyone past for a good two laps :)

Sorry to see the Scooby on its' roof - glad the driver was fine. Anyone noticed how it's been the Scoobies that have had major off's? (thinking of the P1 at Silverstone). It either says something about the mentality of Scooby drivers or the cars themselves :)

I'm glad of the three spins and you're off rule, I suggested it after Croft. I thought that the session was stopped too many times though (ie. by **** driving).

Were't the Kraner Curves just absolutely fantastic!!!!!

Some pics of the Scooby and other stuff is on www.ex-s.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave

Well said, the astra and Cavalier were just having their own private race! Had it gone wrong it would have cost bugger all in twisted metal, however I did not want it happening in front of me!

Pit lane guy!!!???? What was he on?

Good day, forgot just how ace Donnington is, beautiful flowing circuit, sorry if I got in anybodys way but I couldn't get into going fast since I decided to sell the car.

Thanks to ian for the ride in his vectra V6 challenge car, very fast for 240bhp! Kept up with a very quick slick shod Evo 6, the evo had the straight line speed just, but the vectra was awsome through the corners!:D Stands him at 7 grand, full track speck with carbon interior, recaro buckets digital instruments, fire equipment and huge roll cage, fantastic!

See you all next year in a track special!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yorkie

I managed to get a passenger ride in that 7 Extreme, it was wikid, fantastic acceleration and brilliant braking, that guy really knew how to drive the car to its fullest!! Spent all my laps with the biggest grin on my face ever!

Teri :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

The red Astra and the white Cavalier were not just driving badly, they had also disconnected their brake lights! When they were in the paddock area, i told white cav driver about his lights and he seems to think it was quite funny! what a prat! They should stick to their CCC days at Castle Combe!

Derrick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Standards were poor, some cases very poor verging on diabolical :(

Anyone have any bother passing other Evo's when power was evenly matched on the straight?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yorkie

It was me in the silver E6 GSR / T***EVO . I really enjoyed the day forgot just how much FUN you can have in an Evo , it had been 4 mths since my last track day prior to Donno but I`m all fired up for Snett now !

The cars not that modified ( you can see the exact spec listed on the cars for sale site ) but since Donno I must admit I probably won`t sell it . :)

If your going to Snett pop over and have a chat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daved6, That was definitely a wolf in...wolfs' clothing (!) you were driving, certainly looked one of the quickest on the pit straight.

Big Evo, you lucky person, who was it that was driving the extreme? Is the five feet of flames an optional extra???? You certainly wouldn't get many people tailgaiting you driving that would you.

Yes, I agree there were some pillocks driving at Donny but I found that they were easily avoided by timing my sessions with military precision, my two mates I brought along had a great time as passengers. Unfortunately can't make it to Snett as have now run out of tyre tread and xmas is coming. Will definitely be at MLR days next year though so if you keep your Evo Daved6 I'll seek you out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone,

Good to hear everyone generally enjoyed the day, and you're all absolutely correct regarding the disgraceful 'driving' from the Astra and Cavalier - both were lectured by Mark and Graeme (instructors) and went home before being sent home (although it was a bloody close thing!). All I can say is they are now banned from all MLR and Trackstar days.

Really sorry to see the Impreza roll onto it's roof - the first time in 5 years of running trackdays it's happened on one of our days. Having seen the incar video footage it all would have been ok (probably) if it hadn't been for the gravel trap, as it seemed to just 'fall over' due to the depth of it. Thankfully both guys were ok and the car was track insured, so hopefully apart from a little dented pride it'll have a happy ending!

Great to see Mark and Anthony from Silverline Tyre Co. on the day offering their services - and a great range of tyres. They'll be coming along to Snetterton on the 25th too, so no need to worry about anything in that department!

Finally, thanks again to everyone for making the day a great success - as well as Phil and Frankie @ Donington who thought it was one of the best days they'd had at the circuit! Look forward to seeing you all at Snetterton for the last one of 2001 - or if you can't make it, sometime during 2002.

See ya,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yorkie

It was being driven by Jamie Davies F3000 racing driver!!! If you ever get the chance - DO IT! Still makes me grin now when I think about it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts