Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Evolution III owners,

Who has got the lowest mileage and most original Evolution III on here then??? Quite fancy swapping my Evolution VI for an older III. How does everyone find getting parts and having them serviced??? Is it hard work, or ok ish??? Are the reliable???

How does everyone like then, good fun and what is a reliable BHP??? One last thing, the brakes, do they fall apart like they do on the VI's??? That is the worst thing about my car, the discs distort in about 500 miles! Grrrr!

Hope some of you can give me some feed back

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi sytner! i'm going to look at a 3 on friday,looks mint,dark grey,has done 47000 miles and is up for £5199 :D i'll be following this post closely as i think you've asked every question i'd also like to know! :cool:

this is it! not keen on the 3 spokes though! :p

·
Registered
291 Posts
peachy said:
hi synter! i'm going to look at a 3 on friday,looks mint,dark grey,has done 47000 miles and is up for £5199 :D i'll be following this post closely as i think you've asked every question i'd also like to know! :cool:
Is that the one in luton? Saw that advertised today looks nice. Get yourself along to the herts meet on the 12th june evo or not the more the merrier. You can come and have a look round our 3 then see what you think of em. :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Let me know what you think when you see the car. Many moons ago when I was a young lad I drove a couple of delivery mileage Evolution II RS's and really loved them. They felt light, fast, small, everything that my current Evolution VI is, but much sharper and less lardy!

Am sure I am going to raise a few eyebrows with what I have said above. Oh well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
bexta said:
Is that the one in luton? Saw that advertised today looks nice. Get yourself along to the herts meet on the 12th june evo or not the more the merrier. You can come and have a look round our 3 then see what you think of em. :D
yep thats the one mate! that meet sounds cool.......really hopeing to driveing one by then! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sytner said:
Hi,

Let me know what you think when you see the car. Many moons ago when I was a young lad I drove a couple of delivery mileage Evolution II RS's and really loved them. They felt light, fast, small, everything that my current Evolution VI is, but much sharper and less lardy!

Am sure I am going to raise a few eyebrows with what I have said above. Oh well!
i must admit if i could afford a 6 i really wouldn't be looking at a 3.......but iv'e never driven an evo so thats just based on looks! :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Sytner said:
Hi,

Good luck with your search , you missed a cracker when GSRGeoff sold his III , 35000 odd miles on it and mint , there should be pics of it on the thread he done about all the cars he's had.

Just out of interest , where did you drive the II RS' about , there couldnt have been that many of those in the UK when nearly new?

·
Registered
291 Posts
peachy said:
yep thats the one mate! that meet sounds cool.......really hopeing to driveing one by then! :D
great details on it are in the regional meets section. Get yuor name down.

3's are fantastic cars. look up evo3ben to see pics of ours. We had a 1 before the 3. the 3 is beefier and feels like it has much more power.

Servicing is fine as long as you have the cash to throw at it. It is harder to find parts for it than for a 6. But they are still easier to find than for a 1. :D As long as you find one that has been looked after they are just as reliable as any other evo more so in fact than some later evos.
Ours is running 310bhp now fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i found the pic! looks awsome! :coolsm:

i used to own a 280 bhp scooby (which went alright) so upping the power on the 3 is a must! what have you had done to achieve 310 bhp? :D

ps.sorry sytner i feel like i'm takeing over your post! :p

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sytner said:
Who has got the lowest mileage and most original Evolution III on here then???

How does everyone find getting parts and having them serviced???

Is it hard work, or ok ish???

Are the reliable???

How does everyone like then, good fun and what is a reliable BHP???

One last thing, the brakes, do they fall apart like they do on the VI's???
Mines pretty original, only a few styling mods.

Getting parts is no bother even dealers dont mind getting in bits, servicing is a DIY job - easy.

Reliable? depends on servicing really.

Fantastic fun even at std power.

I warped my disks at a track day :blush: but they are ment to be ok with decent disks and pads.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the III's are great mine's done 48,000 miles
spent loads on servicing so far but well worth it.
think i'll be keeping the car for a good couple of years, had an impreza before the evo but did'nt like it had it for 2 months.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good luck with your search , you missed a cracker when GSRGeoff sold his III , 35000 odd miles on it and mint , there should be pics of it on the thread he done about all the cars he's had.
is that wot u think,coz i dont. had it 3 weeks had 2 do the turbo no it,that cost me £500,then a week after that the alarm s..t its self so i got a new 1 that cost me a £450, and now my rings are f..ked.
so u could say im not rigth happy at tho mo, thats my summer nakered up :mad:

·
Registered
617 Posts
310ish brake shouldn't be too much of a problem

I do not have a clue what has been done to my 3 other than exhaust, de cat and filter.

It certainly seems to boost closer to 1 bar which suggests a chip which could be it really. I think that it was pretty modded in japan before it came over as I can see the odd bit of evidence of old removed switches etc so I don't know if there is anything else that lurks, it may have other fuel injectors or uprated fuel pump, I'll find out eventually.

I am not sure what mod to carry out next but I'd like to do it soon. A slight problem I have is that sometimes there is a slight stutter when I'm gunning it, maybe not getting as much fuel as it'd like.

I've never driven any of the other evolutions but I was drawn to the early evos when I found out there was a 3. I was naive enough to not know much difference between the likes of the 1800 and the one then I thought the 4s came along. I think the 3 has some really nice changes to it, I love the seats, steering wheel and the handling is superb fun. You really can do what ever you like in it just like a go kart as it is pretty light.

The best thing is how you get used to the handling without noticing. At times I approach roundabouts and then there is a slight panic as I have forgotton to brake. No problem I'm just getting used to the fact that it stops quicker than a stripped out volvo. mind you it's got 6 pots.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
sweep121 said:
I do not have a clue what has been done to my 3 other than exhaust, de cat and filter.
It certainly seems to boost closer to 1 bar which suggests a chip
none of the chips available for the early cars have a specific boost level although they can be ordered in the case of 'gizzmo' for a bhp level
...there is a change fuel, ignition parameters and rpm limit
& boost has to be changed from stock via an external(to the ecu) controller
... either a manual or electronic version

:)

·
Registered
617 Posts
:coolsm: that's quite a length to go to is it not. My boost gauge indicates 1 bar maximum and the paper states 315 max output. Would you say that the above tweaking has definately been carried out then?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts