Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EVO6 lost acceleration?

I needed a fast getaway, so eased the clutch out @3500rpm. It started of OK, but then the engine jumped to the redline. Thinking it was wheel spin, I quickly snatched 2nd and then 3rd, but I still had no traction/acceleration. I had to back completely of the accelerator, until the revs came down, otherwise it just kept redlining.

There was a bit of smoke and an engine smell - it still drives OK?

Any ideas were the power/acceleration went?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are two main pitfalls on the VI, first is the clutch not being man enough ( that was your problem ) and secondly the discs tend to warp.So not too many heavy starts or she will cook big time.

Regards Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Affirmative !!
This almost happened to me when I didn't allow the clutch to bite during a full on
standing start , but I realised and shut down
before terminal clutch fry.
The thing about EVO's is phenominal traction
so the clutch can be the weak link in the
drive train. My technique now is to allow full clutch bite without slipping at quite
low rev's and throttle opening , then bang in
the boost !!
You have my sympathy !!

BiBi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next week M.A.D. is fitting a performance clutch to his VI now the phase one is running on the car. Will let you know how it goes.

Regards Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!
I think that standard clutch is not really appropriate to the traction and performance
of the EVO!
I own an EVO V RS and the same thing happend to me a few times.My car is now about
12000miles and still have std cluctch,but I don't know how long it will resist!!!

The question is,which clutch should we go for when we have to replace it?
On a GT FOUR I owned before,I fit a TRD clutch cover,ok,but with an AP RACING rigid metal
plate!
To work correctly It probably need 500bhp...
It doesn't have any progressivity at all,and if you're just cruising aroud it's really
tyring.

Does any of you tryied the RALLIART clutch?

Best regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback - in future I'll fully engage/disengage the clutch before planting the right foot!

Will this have damaged the clutch ? It seems the OK/same at the moment.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any damage would be difficult to determine without a physical inspection
of the clutch components and u don't want to go there without good reason due to the cost involved !
If as u say the clutch appears to be ok and unchanged from its previous
state then ignore it until it fails/wears out , with any luck u may have only burnt a few thousand miles of life out of it!!
Occasionally EVO ownership can be so stressful (or expensive) , so do what I did forget the incident , chill and enjoy.

BiBi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definately Clutch -

I have a AP center (on my Evo4/330bhp) with the std cover, It transforms the car into something difficult to pull off smoothly and slowly - fast is no problem.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you are always doing standing starts, even then you'll just move the power to the gear box quicker and probably thro' a cog...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts