Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an Evo6 TME 2 weeks ago and i'm experiencing a knocking noise coming from the engine area. It only happens occasionally and you can actually feel it through the pedals.

I've read through the old service docs and this is what i found on a report dated Dec '04.
Quote: " Front Suspension & Fixings all OK. Remove and strip front diff assembly locate locking bolts sheered off, remove bolt heads and drill out remainder of thread and replace with stronger bolts"

I got a 6 months warranty with the car but before i ring the guy up i just wondered if anybody else had experienced any of these problems and what was the diagnosis and also do you think its the same thing?

·
Registered
996 Posts
diff

hi m8t does it do it more on stearing lock to the left or right. If so sounds like your diff bolts have gone agian. Like on that reciept you got. Trust me m8t im a master at diff bolts having had an evo 6.

·
Registered
139 Posts
thankx for the reply, mine is number 4654 out of 7000, would this be a later evo 6?

btw yeah im searching, but i can never seem to be able to narrow searches down... end up reading heaps of unrelated stuff, hence the question :cry:

·
Registered
996 Posts
later

yeah m8t yours is a later 6 well 6.5 tommy mac. My evo was a w reg 6, one of the later 6s and my diff bolts were shagged Your evo is even l8ter than mine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this a big (costly) job or is it as simple as it appears on the pictures on the link?

·
Registered
139 Posts
scubaladdie said:
They only made 5000 Evo 6's
is that right? cause in "you & your mitsubishi evo"- by Andy Butler, page 50, he says a total of 7ooo evo 6 RS's & GSR's were sold during the models lifespan.

so was there 2000 rs's made??? i didnt think they made that many, but i wouldnt know for sure.

in KCONN's very informative link it says the later evo 6's had LSD's installed cause they ran out of open diffs, so if they only made 5000 gsr's mine might have a lsd? will have to check that.

btw mine doesnt make any noises :)

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Be aware that the front diff bolt problem will only knock on full lock when the diff is under strain. If you can feel it coming through the pedals then I personally would say it isn't the diff bolts but check engine/gearbox mounts and make sure they are all OK.

Knocking noises on Evos are notoriously hard to locate and find. Another option is to get the car up on a set of axle stands or ramps with all 4 wheels off the floor and the turn the wheels and feel all the parts around the gearbox/driveshafts and see if you can trace where there may be anything catching etc... Try it with the wheels in a straight line as well as on full lock and see if you can narrow it down a bit more.

Andy

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Some of us have to try and work for a living you know :lol:
Actually, what has happened is that we're I'm working at the moment won't let us use the web for security reasons and so I don't get on much during the day now.

Andy

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have recently discovered a knock on my Evo 6. It's a T reg 2000 registered car.

It's on the offside front, sounds like a CV, but it only does it very intermitantly, more so over small bumps in the road. Possible top mount???

I will be getting it up in the air this afternoon if the rain holds off so any advice greatly appreciated!

Matt

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Could be top mounts, could also be just a sticky strut. Whilst its up in the air, spray some wd40 onto the strut and then put the car up and down to bounce the suspension a bit.

Andy

·
Registered
137 Posts
I still havent located my problem :confused: :(

I get knocking noise on a slight turn. I have changed my CV joint but it's still knocking. Do you guys think it's a waste of money if I get the diff bolts changed, even thou it's knocking on a slight turn?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts