Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my headlamps are still so poor? I have had the 130/120W eqivelant lamps fitted, including sidelamps (60 squids for the 4 bulbs) from co-ord sports. I then took it to my main delaer to have the headlights aligned properly and had some 100 W equivelant lamps fitted to the fog lamps. ...my point being, they are still poo, on dip in the rain you cant see a damn thing and main beam isn't that good either. dark back lane on main beam and fog on - okish, but after spending all this on them they are not even 1/2 as goos as the standard setup on my old 4x4 cossie...?? why is this, do the japs not have rain or night-time..?

any help appreciated.

Dave.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:evo6 headlights with piaa super white

It's called crap headlight design! Apparently Philips bulbs were rated the best in an Auto Express test but even so I doubt there would be much difference between them and PIAA bulbs.
Has anyone tried upgrading the earthing? I did see an E6 advertised for sale with an earthing kit fitted that got me investigating a while back, it was supposed to improve the lighting but I don't know by how much (if at all!). Have a look at http://www.takakaira.com/performance/tmworks/main.html . I think the improvement in torque is a load of bullshit mind you! HKS do a similar thing but I believe it's more expensive http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/electronics/tenka/circle.html. I suppose the simple answer is run a dedicated neggy cable from the headlight switch back to the battery and see if that makes a difference, it won't get round the design but it may help.
The alternative is HID and thats too much money for me!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tmworks leads

I have just bought those TM works leads from Japan, they should be here 5th/6th next month.
Will report back!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told by a guy who has the uprated earthing kit that it did improve torque on his TME.Could be just his imagination though i guess.

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The only way I can see making a difference to torque is if it decreased the load on the alternator, I doubt if it would make enough of a difference to be noticeable though. Before and after on a RR and I am prepared to stand corrected ;) If it helped out the lights signifigantly then it would be worth it just for that though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kit

Hopefully I should be able to get the kit on before the RR Gforce day.
I have got figures from a few week ago from a RR session so we could compare.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ut oh - I can see Justin doing a group buy on earthing kits now :D

Still it's another investment for the Evo bank!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re:evo6 headlights

As someone who has some knowledge of electronics i cannot understand how running a separate earth from the switch would make it better.
I can understand how running an earth from the switch AND from lights to the SAME point can help. Can anyone explain this ?

Sid

Ps iam serious as i must agree the lighting is crap, but the phillips bulbs have improved it signicantly more than the £15 outlay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The return from the light switch is earthed under the dash and therefore relys on the bodywork to get back to the battery. Run a dedicated copper earth cable back to the battery from the switch rather than using the body as an earth should improve matters especially if the body earth is bad.
Thats all the above 'earthing kits' do anyway.
I will try it out next week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts