Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend i got my mate into the evo culture from a gti-r, after taking him out yesterday he was complaining about lack of grip, it is running on Yoko's A539 with a very very low profile ( cant remember size 205 40 17's i think but not sure ).I took it out for a spin today and was suprised at how little grip it did have, first s-bend up-hill and her ar*e was sticking way out for all to see.Although it was great fun it wants a little more grip ( for now at least ).
Can anyone please help with a solution?
Regards
J

Until you know you will never know, but when you know you will know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This does not suprise me. When Ralliart were developing the 7 Extreme and Extreme S the Yoko's were their starting point as this is what the standard car uses. However, they quickly learnt that they slid around, particularly in the wet. I went for Bridgestone Portenza SO-2's which I have used on other cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The yokos that come standard on the 7 are the ao46 and are not yet available in the uk but they are very good in the dry and superb in the wet.I have heard bad reports on other yoko tyres in the wet though.Infact i feel that changing the wheel package on the car to a size that would not allow the refitment of the original tyres would be decrimental but the so2 or so3 would come close.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 225/45/16s Bridgestone so2s on my E4 ,slightly wider stance ,fantastic in the dry .I am a little causcious in the wet , I don't get my rear out any more .But will slide sideways under heavy load in the wet .roads can be a little slippery after rain and has caught me off gaurd on one or two occasions,but thats addrenalin fun:D.
I am due for a change in tyre and wanted to go over to the yokahamas with the nearly illigal tread pattern.
Or at least a tyre that will sustain a track day with out tearing away majority of the inner or outer edge .
Harder compound,most swear by the SO2s in the tyre depos as being the best allrounder but I find its a soft tyre and quite good at reducing road noise .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my e6 gsr had bridgestone so-1s on it when i bought it they only lasted 6000miles (front tyres only)
i replaced them with so-3s (could not get hold of any s0-2s) and the differance in the wet is unbeliveble with the old s0-1s on i had little confidence in the wet but the car feels a lot better and more sure footed in the wet now , not had much chance to drive in the dry yet but the little go i did have was also much better car felt more stable and not on the edge (the so-1s always seamed to be just holding on even at only moderate speeds)
i would recomend you give the bridgestone so-3s a try i like them and will be using them for as long as i can get hold of them .
Dafydd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I eventually went with Bridgestone S-02's (replacing original S-01's) and they are the bees knees...

I'm well impressed with the dry and wet performance of them, and thus far I havn't lost any chunks or tyre from the outside shoulder :)
Must be because they cost me over £550 and I don't want to have to replace them within 2 months like the last set...

I don't like Yokahama, I have had them on other performance cars and I find the compound a bit too soft (if your really pressing on it feels like it's wet weather even when it is dry - must be the tyre melting under the BHP)!!!!

Bridgestones rule for me on a TVR, Evo or an M3 (oooops, did I just swear on hear)!!!!

Good Luck, and don't destroy your car with the Yoko's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts