Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a non Evo owner, I'm looking for some guidance into deciding whether to buy an Evo 1 or an Evo 2. Though I admit I am also considering a few other Japanese cars from either Nissan or Honda. Does anyone know of any websites which show the main differences between the Evo 1 and Evo 2 in standard form, which one is easier to modify, and whether either one is cheaper to own. If the car isn't modified already, I'll probably keep the standard wheels, but would put in an induction kit and exhaust and then save up for adjustable suspension. Are there any buyers guides available, and what do you really need to look out for when buying a 1992 -1995 model? Does anyone recommend any cheaper garages for servicing around Suffolk?

Thanks for your help - John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello !
If you are torn between an Evo 1 or Evo 2 and have 1 of each to choose from, and both are in the same condition, always go for the Evo 2.

The thing that makes the difference is the suspension changes. The Evo 2 had the suspension subtly revised to improve grip and handling on dry surfaces. It involved a slightly wider track, slightly longer wheel base, re-location of anti-roll bars, a switch from a pressed steel front wishbones to cast steel ones and other subtle changes.
This doesn't mean the 1 is a bad handling car, just slightly more challenging to get the bugger to turn in :D.
It is also easier to find parts for a 2, compared to a 1. The 2 and 3 are more similar and as the 3's are still rallied you can find bits. The 1, is much harder and has none-documentated changes whihc means Evo2 parts will not always fit. Don't get the impression that find parts is mega hard though. Unless you want something truly bizare. Some parts will swap with later Evo's...Evo 4 brake pads are the same shape for example.

The 2 also has better seats (more hugging and mounted lower).

BUT, base it on condition as well, I may have painted a slightly glum picture but I would choose a good Evo 1 over a mediocre Evo 2 - parts can be very expensive. -You would be looking at £1500|PLS|VAT|PLS|Fitting for a new gearbox for example, and forget second hand ! better to have a good runing car then a doggy one.

Luckily the cars are tough, and so long as they have not been abused (no oil changes, no warm up period, driving at V.max over cobbles, etc) then parts don't usually break. A rally shop last week desribed the Evo1-3 gearboxes as bullet proof. They fit them straight from Ralliart with no mods.

I have almost completed a buyers guide for the Evo 1-3. I'm awaiting some pictures to be developed (I shouldn't have bought such a long film) and a few tweeks to the text and it'll be ready for the club to offer out. If you let me know your e-mail address I can send you a pre-copy. It will be in .DOC format.

Beyond that, there are plenty of active early Evo owners on this board - its not all modern Evos - and they have loads of knowledge between them.

TonyC
Evo 1 -3 register secretary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also beware of evo1s being sold as evo2s. I've seen quite a few on autotrader etc. You can tell them apart by their chassis numbers. details will be in Tony's guide I should imagine.

p.s. [email protected] when its done Tony if you could. I'd like to have a read even though I just sold mine :(

cheers
Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony,
Did i see you writing somewhere that the Evo 1 and 2 have different transfer ratios?. Any idea what the ratios are as i'm just after thinking that using my 1800GSR transfer with an Evo 2 gearbox and rear diff might not be right:(. Although all transfer ratios i've come across for the 1800GSR, EvoI-III and Galant VR-4's have been 1.090 which seems to be a standard transfer ratio apart from the automatic 4WD variants.
So any facts or figures on the ratios?:D

p.s Is your car back on the road yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Paul, I can't be very exact on this. All the info from my research says that the E1-3 have the same ratios (except 1st and 2nd gear). However when they fitted the new gearbox into my E1 everything worked fine except 5th. After a lot of hassle they discovered from one of the (very hard to get hold off) techy guys at Co-ordsport that there was a very minor chnage between the transfer boxes of the E1 and E2/3. Basically there is a one tooth difference on the drive out ! That one tooth made an 'orrible noise when they slotted into 5th.
Its almost impossible to get an Evo 1 gearbox, we'd already bough the E2 box so the garage did me a good cash deal on a used and checked out Evo2 transfer box. I've now got mine for sale.
I got the car back on Saturday and so far is ok. And f'ck me, it 'aint half quiet :D Although I now suspect the ratios overall are different as 5th gear is ever so slightly longer ! Mitsubuishi eh !?
When I'm back in work tomorrow I'll post the phone number of the garage - they might be able to help with your ratio question.

I've been assured that using the E2 transfer box is not going to screw the diffs (and so far the car feels 'right'), heres hoping.

Its nice to get the old girl back though, its been virtually a month of hired Puntos and crap. The box blew coming back from the Billing show !

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comments - there's quite a bit to these Evos !! I'd appreciate a pre-copy of your buying guide - let me know if you want any feedback on spelling/grammar etc. Don't know if you're like me, but others always find mistakes with my letters and postings.

Silver: [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be Tony !! Should be looking at the first car tomorrow - an Evo 2, which by chance just happens to be silver. But I'm going to be one of those who doesn't buy the first one he sees - just hope I don't kick myself a month later! Now wondering if I'll be made to eat my words!! Only problem is I haven't found any others near enough to look at.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its worth travelling to find the right one.
You just have to invest the time.

I saw 3. one 80 miles west, one 80 miles east and one 130 miles south. I bought the one from down South. Considerably better than the other 2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know about over in the UK, but here in NZ the price difference between the Evo1 and 2 is only around about 10-12%, being about only around a couple thousand NZ dollars difference, so obviously I'd go for the 2 here at least.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having taken quick read through Tony's guide (cheers Tony) I think I'd choose to buy an Evo 2 over an Evo 1, but if I see a good Evo 1 I might go for that.
Tony - your guide has been very interesting reading - great for someone like me, I'll be reading it a few times, and it will definately be with me when I look at buying one. I'll email it back to you in a few days with any suggestions highlighted - probably in doc or rtf format. Had hoped to view 2 examples yesterday - but somehow got delayed watching 20 plus Skylines at a track event and one Civic Type R !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Talking of gearboxes and transfer cases have any of you guys seen or heard of the switchable 4WD/FWD gearbox ands transfer combo
I have heard of it in one old (pre evo) VR4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blimey fellas ! Can you hang on a bit until I'm happy with some of the content ? It won't be very long I promise :)

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to express my thanks to those who have helped with my earlier queries - but despite being close, I have decided the time's not right for me to be buying an Evo right now. Not really confident of being able to afford all the running costs, so I've had to go for a slightly cheaper car. But it should still be a laugh despite only being a 1.6, just hope I do get it after handing over the deposit! So, no Mitsubishi this time, but hoping I'll get some cheap fun with a Japanese import Honda Civic Type R 1998 spec. Cheers !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its with Darin and Dom at the moment, just waiting for it to be posted now.
Currently working on a second project on distinct Evo 1-2-3 differences, and part breakdowns.

Currently got gearbox, proprshaft, part of the turbo/manifold, front suspension and rear suspension..
But I want lots more...

TonyC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts