Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read somewhere here recently about a similar problem. I was driving to work a week before Christmas when I missed a gear. Then I couldn't get any gears for a while. After I slowed down, the gears came back, except now it crunches into 5th gear, more especially when the car is warm. I've taken the end-plate off the gearbox (which you can do beneath the driver's side wheel arch) and exposed the 5th gear. The synchro ring just dropped off the end of the shaft, but there doesn't appear to be anything to hold it there anyway! There doesn't appear to be any damage, but I desperately need a picture of what it's supposed to look like. Also, what type of oil goes in the box, as I can't read japanese. Any help welcome.

Cheers folks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I've mailed you the scanned fax's I have of the 'box.
The thing that fell off was probably the baulk ring. Its actually held in place via the end of the cover plate- if you look inside the cover plate there is an obvious place where it runs (weird isnt it). The synchro ring for 5th should be held in by the nut and mounted on a roller bearing (if I remember correctly.)
Check the nut at the end of the shaft- it may have moved. Mine unwound itself and punched a hole in the end plate about 4 inch square.
The best way to see what is going on is to get a mate to stick it into 5th|PLS|reverse (no engine running) and see how it looks, you may notice the gears flexing about a bit.
I'm guessing that the nut has unwound a bit and need torquing up and locking in properly.
But you may want to check the synchro ring, they are not very strong,. I had to replace mine as it was seriously chewed.
Also, there is a thin shim that should be between the end plate and the baulk ring that fell off - dont loose it as they are bugger to find in the UK. It runs without it ok, but the baulkring rattles back and forth ever-so slightly making it rattle.
The baulk ring is for reverse by the way.
Hope all this helps..

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, just thought, from your description it might be a slightly different problem.
Each gear gets pickedup by the baulk ring and synchro via 3 little sprung tabs. If you crunched a gear you may have eaten a piece of the brass synchro ring and that debris may have got wedged inside the hole these tabs sit in. Mine were full of debris from 5th gear getting chewed and I had to clear them out before it would pickup 5th gear.

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Tony,
Can you please send me those pics as well. [email protected]
My box has been behaving pretty well, but in fifth gear the lever moves back and forth when you press the accelerator and lift of. I htink the nut you spoke of needs to be torqued down.
Wreckleford

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and the diagrams - most useful.
I shall attempt to find the cause and if I find anything, I'll take a photo and post it here (so others can witness my misery!).

Cheers,
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
If you find any damage let me know what, as i have most parts for that gearbox. (long story
)
Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, I've mailed them now Wrecklford. I've been a bit ill all over Christmas|PLS|new year hence the delay.

The movement of the lever you describe was one of the symptoms I noticed but was to dumb to do anything about at the time. I was going to get the guys who service it have a look when it was next due as I thought it was simply the synchro rings gone weak, not the whole bleeding lot moving around.

What miles has everyones cars done ? Suspicious number of similar faults appearing... I'm on 47k miles.. perhaps those with lower mileage 2,3's need to start watching out. (The box is different on the 4 onwards according to co-ordsport)

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Paul,

Do you have a centre-diff and viscous coupling available?

I'm not too concerned (within reason) about the condition, as I want to use them for an experiment.

Please let me know if you are interested in trading.

thanks,

Nik

Original Post:
Hi,
If you find any damage let me know what, as i have most parts for that gearbox. (long story
and amp;lt;!--e1-- and amp;gthttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Regards,
Paul.C

[/QUOTE]

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm.
My II is on about 40K (miles) and whilst I have no noticable problems yet I have what has been described to me as a 'slight dry bearing noise' from the gearbox. Apparently gearboxes can run forever with these noises but could you send me the pics also Tony just in case.
Got to get it serviced next month. Can anyone recommend anyone in the Midlands area?

Many thanks
Jon
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts