Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, ever since buying my Evo about a year ago it has been making this noise, it didn't get better or worse with time. According to my service history, chain was changed not long before i bought it. Any idea what could it be ?
Car drives fine, no warning lights on the dash, gearbox oil changed about moth ago.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
SSTs are well known for a rattly kind of noise from the gearbox. And I believe it to do with springs (which might now have broken) that sit inside the "clutch basket". If it's only minor rattling I don't think you have too much to worry about.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Funny you post this I've got a similar noise nowhere near as loud as that tho

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
It may be possible to change or (temporarly) get rid of any gearbox noise by selecting a gear and loading up the relevant clutchpack - but clearly a two person job lol

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
It may be possible to change or (temporarly) get rid of any gearbox noise by selecting a gear and loading up the relevant clutchpack - but clearly a two person job lol
How do you do this?

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
How do you do this?

Never tried it myself, but seems vaguely logical that if you put the car in gear that in it's own might get rid of the noise - a bit like depressing the clutch with a dry manual twin plate. But, at best, it's only going to confirm the sourc and will do nothing to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
SSTs are well known for a rattly kind of noise from the gearbox. And I believe it to do with springs (which might now have broken) that sit inside the "clutch basket". If it's only minor rattling I don't think you have too much to worry about.
I don't believe it's the springs on the torque damper that cause the rattling most people get as I had the same noise before I had the box rebuilt and I don't get it now despite using the same damper. I understand it's normally just chatter between the clutch plates in the clutch basket when there is no pressure to keep them in place (i.e. no gear is engaged) and as they get more worn over time the noise gets more noticeable.

Some people have even had the box rebuilt and still found that it hasn't gone away or is worse but it's not a critical issue just an annoyance.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
That sounds like the chain to me :handsup:

Very rarely I can hear the gearbox make a little rattle when in park but not constant or that loud. It sounds different from the gearbox noise I am familiar with but sound very much like a worn chain.
Have you checked the chain? Even if it has been replaced, it may be fitted incorrectly, or even an old type chain and has stretched again, but I'm just guessing based on the noise and my own experience.

It would be quick and easy to check the chain and guide etc than the gearbox.

Hope you get it sorted.
Kev :smthumbup

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
That sounds like the chain to me :handsup:

Very rarely I can hear the gearbox make a little rattle when in park but not constant or that loud. It sounds different from the gearbox noise I am familiar with but sound very much like a worn chain.
Have you checked the chain? Even if it has been replaced, it may be fitted incorrectly, or even an old type chain and has stretched again, but I'm just guessing based on the noise and my own experience.

It would be quick and easy to check the chain and guide etc than the gearbox.

Hope you get it sorted.
Kev :smthumbup
Mine was replaced under two tears ago with the new type but still get a little rattling. Surley it would throw the code if it was to happen again?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It's very hard to tell if the noise comes from left or right side of engine, guess I'll have to get it booked at FCM and see what they say.

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Video posted up as part of a thread on another forum....

From this thread...

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-63462.html

The suggestion/explanation of this noise being caused by the multi-plate clutch packs chattering away while not under kind of load does make sense (ie more than my suggestion) - and should definitely go away if the car is in gear at standstill (unless coming from the 2,4.6 clutch pack maybe?).

But the interesting thing is that although three out of four SSTs I've owned had this rattle to varying degrees, but there's absolutely no rattle with my current one (nearly 50k miles). And that's been the case ever since I bought it (Kev - did you ever hear anything on the blue car?) and it's since had a Dodson clutchpack upgrade, and a year on, still not a peep.

So I'd be inclined to turn the question round and ask why is the noise not present on all SSTs? Maybe on some cars there is a small amount of hydraulic pressure exerted on the clutchpacks, even when supposedly not in action, and this just keep the plates from moving around? Perhaps it makes a difference if a "re-learn" has recently been carried out? Has anyone ever encountered the noise and then had some work done that actually got rid of it - now that would be really interesting to hear about.

·
Premium Member
22,003 Posts
Video posted up as part of a thread on another forum....

From this thread...

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-63462.html

The suggestion/explanation of this noise being caused by the multi-plate clutch packs chattering away while not under kind of load does make sense (ie more than my suggestion) - and should definitely go away if the car is in gear at standstill (unless coming from the 2,4.6 clutch pack maybe?).

But the interesting thing is that although three out of four SSTs I've owned had this rattle to varying degrees, but there's absolutely no rattle with my current one (nearly 50k miles). And that's been the case ever since I bought it (Kev - did you ever hear anything on the blue car?) and it's since had a Dodson clutchpack upgrade, and a year on, still not a peep.

So I'd be inclined to turn the question round and ask why is the noise not present on all SSTs? Maybe on some cars there is a small amount of hydraulic pressure exerted on the clutchpacks, even when supposedly not in action, and this just keep the plates from moving around? Perhaps it makes a difference if a "re-learn" has recently been carried out? Has anyone ever encountered the noise and then had some work done that actually got rid of it - now that would be really interesting to hear about.
Cant say ive ever noticed any gearbox rattle on mine at idle

Stu

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Like plip I also have the Dodson clutchpack so perhaps it tends to rattle less, however I definitely noticed it on the OEM cluchpack before the rebuild and could hear it inside the car when switching to neutral at junctions etc. The difference could still simply be down to wear though as the car had done 38k before I bought it and has done less than 10k since the rebuild.

Whether the clutches are unloaded or not also depends on whether the car is warmed up or not as I notice that when starting from cold the system seems to lightly load the clutches for a while even in Park or Neutral to help generate heat and get the oil up to temp.

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Whether the clutches are unloaded or not also depends on whether the car is warmed up or not as I notice that when starting from cold the system seems to lightly load the clutches for a while even in Park or Neutral to help generate heat and get the oil up to temp.
Interesting, although I can't see how it would help generate oil temp unless a gear was selected - as there would otherwise be no slip between the plates?

I'm still not totally convinced that the "chatter" is purely down to the clutchpacks.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
It does seem to select a gear in the warm up phase as the car creeps forward on level ground in neutral and I can feel it slightly pushing against the parking pin in park for the first minute or so.

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
It does seem to select a gear in the warm up phase as the car creeps forward on level ground in neutral and I can feel it slightly pushing against the parking pin in park for the first minute or so.
Ok, I must try that for myself, and maybe hook up Evoscan to see it that shows anything interesting.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never tried it myself, but seems vaguely logical that if you put the car in gear that in it's own might get rid of the noise - a bit like depressing the clutch with a dry manual twin plate. But, at best, it's only going to confirm the sourc and will do nothing to get rid of it.
I tried that today and can confirm it does eliminate the noise! Thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts