Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,
Had the car about a month now and have been playing around with different sst settings. I have noticed that when I drive the car in sport mode the car blips the throttle everytime I downshift. However in super sport mode it only does sometimes and if you are on the brakes it doesn't at all it just shifts down. Surley that can't be right? Or is that how it's supposed to work?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds normal to me, it's what mine has always done :)
Most would advise that you drive is s-sport all the time anyway as you clutch is fully clamped in s-sport mode and produces less wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Sounds normal to me, it's what mine has always done :)
Most would advise that you drive is s-sport all the time anyway as you clutch is fully clamped in s-sport mode and produces less wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-sport and paddles for me everytime, though Im pretty sure Sport mode too is fully clamped

Stu

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the blip on downshifts though and was a bit disappointed to be honest. Do we know why it blips in sport but not in super sport? What's the reason/thinking behind it?

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
I love the blip on downshifts though and was a bit disappointed to be honest. Do we know why it blips in sport but not in super sport? What's the reason/thinking behind it?
Pretty sure mine does in S-Sport too, but the revs need to be higher down shifting

Stu

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I just use normal auto to warm up the sst then I drive s-sport paddle all the time.

Mine 'blips' dependant on how aggressive you shift-paddle.

Whenever I double tap down. e.g. If I brake into a corner in 4th, shift down 'twice rapidly' to 2nd and accelerate off.

Also when you are just slowing down from boost. e.g. any gear braking from 3.5k+ down to below 3k, shift down, and it will 'blip' into boost 3.5+.

If I'm just slowing down the speed and I shift down with a 'slow' down paddle, it doesn't 'blip'.

As long as its within rev range, (I can hear the gear change slam home and feel it in the seat), but my car doesn't jolt, jump or buckle when down-shifting. I've always assumed this was a indication of how a good synchro should work and on a race car, maintaining the boost giving smooth predictable handling.

Hazard a guess - excessive 'blipping' in sport, maybe due to additional 'intended' clutch slip working with the synchro.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,951 Posts
I manage to rev match on the downshift just fine when I want to in my VI GSR :handsup: :smthumbup

Reactions: big_joe

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I think I might have an answer for the lack (or lower intensity) blips on braked downshifts.

I think the Super Sport mode was really programmed for track use. Where it is more common for a driver to accelerate hard towards a braking area and then down shift under heavy braking.

Under heavy braking the RPM of the engine is being dramatically reduced by the reduction speed. Therefore such an elevated level of blip will be too high for a seamless change. A higher RPM blip at that point could make the car lurch forward into the braking area momentarily just when the driver is already committed to the limit point of braking. Which would be scary.

This doesn't really apply on road, the sport setting is more suited to road style downshifts.

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
I think I might have an answer for the lack (or lower intensity) blips on braked downshifts.

I think the Super Sport mode was really programmed for track use. Where it is more common for a driver to accelerate hard towards a braking area and then down shift under heavy braking.

Under heavy braking the RPM of the engine is being dramatically reduced by the reduction speed. Therefore such an elevated level of blip will be too high for a seamless change. A higher RPM blip at that point could make the car lurch forward into the braking area momentarily just when the driver is already committed to the limit point of braking. Which would be scary.

This doesn't really apply on road, the sport setting is more suited to road style downshifts.
Makes sense. My suspicion is that the clutch is partially or fully disconnecting the drive when braking, meaning no, or less engine braking, and also no blip as there is no point. The X sst doesnt seem to have the same engine braking as manual cars, but also I have noticed sometimes the revs down near tickover as I am braking, releasing the brakes rises the revs to match the speed

Stu

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
I wonder if it makes any difference on the gear you are in at the time? Doesn't the SST software predict the next shift and select that gear in anticipation? So, say you were in 4th gear and accelerating hard and suddenly braked and down shifted, would 5th need to be disengaged, then third engaged and then the clutch clamped once again? Could that go at least some way towards explaiing blips or no blips?

·
Simon - EVO V
1,802 Posts
I wonder if it makes any difference on the gear you are in at the time? Doesn't the SST software predict the next shift and select that gear in anticipation? So, say you were in 4th gear and accelerating hard and suddenly braked and down shifted, would 5th need to be disengaged, then third engaged and then the clutch clamped once again? Could that go at least some way towards explaiing blips or no blips?
Nope, DUAL clutch, it has a gear either side spinning up at once ready for selection up OR down..

·
Premium Member
22,095 Posts
Nope, DUAL clutch, it has a gear either side spinning up at once ready for selection up OR down..
I dont know but i thought it was as plip said above, it predicts your next gear, hence sometimes a gear change is a bit slow, especially noticable when going from acceleration to deceleration

Stu

1 - 20 of 28 Posts