Lancer Register Forum banner
41 - 60 of 109 Posts
Whenever I meet Dan (evo/nut) he refers to it as 'The Barge', but its my first Evo and I have no basis of comparison with the other models.

It was an alternative to the e90 M3 I was hunting for, my leather seats are comfortable and once the coilovers were on, it felt just as good on the street.

Attachments

I get 30mpg from mine when out with the wife not so good when out on my own. Don't know why that is. Haha. Got a 300 sst got it mapped to 350 just with a decat. Can you guys who know what you are talking about tell me how Much I'm looking at to get it to 400 400 and still be safe. I'm new to all this. Thanks

Not sure that kind of remark is welcome on this thread! :lol: Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but name me one thing that is better on a manual compared with an SST? Would you ever consider buying a GTR?
for some reason the SST feels heavy and unresponsive vs the manual one.. I cant put a finger on it.. weird..

I am driving a SST X for the WE.. :D

I absoulloutley love my x also. It has all the refinements you expect from a newer car but still has the blistering performance you get from an evo (after remapping). I'll agree though that they are terribly restricted until you get them mapped. I bought mine completely standard and was pretty disappointed power wise. A few mods and a trip to HQ soon sorted that and it's now pushing 380/380. The difference is like night and day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #49 ·
I absoulloutley love my x also. It has all the refinements you expect from a newer car but still has the blistering performance you get from an evo (after remapping). I'll agree though that they are terribly restricted until you get them mapped. I bought mine completely standard and was pretty disappointed power wise. A few mods and a trip to HQ soon sorted that and it's now pushing 380/380. The difference is like night and day.

x2!!

I think the general concensus here with the SST is that they are disappointing in standard form, but after the stage 1 mods they are awesome (a few of us are at this point i.e. 380 bhp) - it was the same for me got bored very quickly but after the mods it is a superb car!!

I get 30mpg from mine when out with the wife not so good when out on my own. Don't know why that is. Haha. Got a 300 sst got it mapped to 350 just with a decat. Can you guys who know what you are talking about tell me how Much I'm looking at to get it to 400 400 and still be safe. I'm new to all this. Thanks
380 seems to be the point that it goes from a few supporting mods and a remap, so not massive money, to big money

Stu

I appreciate them for sure. It's called Evolution for a reason so they are bound to be quicker/better than previous models in standard form.

In my own opinion the X is the one that cries out to be modified though. They just don't look that special in standard out of the showroom form. The standard wheels look better on the other models than they do on the X.

Exception to the above is the FQ-440 that looks great in white with all the orange optional bits you can spec.

So, IF I had a X I'd mod the hell out of it externally with load of carbon and aggressive rims, etc.

As to the VI (like mine) I prefer them looking pretty standard and having the 'hidden' mods. I've posted this lots of times it depends why you want to own a particular model in the first place.

I appreciate them for sure. It's called Evolution for a reason so they are bound to be quicker/better than previous models in standard form.

In my own opinion the X is the one that cries out to be modified though. They just don't look that special in standard out of the showroom form. The standard wheels look better on the other models than they do on the X.

Exception to the above is the FQ400, and the FQ-440 that looks great in white with all the orange optional bits you can spec.

So, IF I had a X I'd mod the hell out of it externally with load of carbon and aggressive rims, etc.

As to the VI (like mine) I prefer them looking pretty standard and having the 'hidden' mods. I've posted this lots of times it depends why you want to own a particular model in the first place.
Fixed that for you. ;)

Anyway whether its a manual X or SST its going to give you plenty of smiles, doesn't matter what bhp imo, they are amazingly fun cars. :thumbup:

380 seems to be the point that it goes from a few supporting mods and a remap, so not massive money, to big money

Stu
Seem pretty easy to modify forged rods drop right in? I probably can see myself with a X its really grown on me but propably keep the 5 too.

Seem pretty easy to modify forged rods drop right in? I probably can see myself with a X its really grown on me but propably keep the 5 too.
from what im told, its clutches and rods (rod job) just to gain a little over 380, then intercooler and turbo to make the gain worthwhile

Stu

The future of transmission is defo not manual although people argue its more a pure experience but can sst cope with 500 foot pounds etc?
the SST is a limiting factor for big power on an evo from what I can work out, but 500 is do-able relatively easily, just expensive. But when you start talking twin plates, or especially tripples, then sst upgraded clutches aren't such a big step further in cost

My suspicion is, as time goes by, more and more will be available for the sst, and costs will drop, also to factor in the 10 is the newest and most commonly available evo, especially the sst, as the older evo's rot away, more people may focus on the sst

Stu

Stu
380 is about all you want to push the standard clutches to if you plan on driving it hard on a regular basis and still keep it reliable. I've heard of people taking them up to 400 on standard setup, but you would definitely be taking the risk of clutch failure.

41 - 60 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.