Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the X suffers the same as the I-IX for chassis rust and lack of protection from factory?

·
Registered
321 Posts
In a word, yes. My underseal was an afterthought when I picked it up brand new. Feel that I have bought shares in dinitrol and bilt hamber to protect it properly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the car isn't used in the winter then there are no real issues. Mine is 6 years old with 7k summer miles on the clock and no rust plus it's covered in cavity wax everywhere. People use the x more as it's more suitable as a daily and this is where the rust issue begins especially on all the subframes

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,825 Posts
People use the x more as it's more suitable as a daily and this is where the rust issue begins especially on all the subframes
:lol: the rubbish you read on this site.

The X is going to be as well protected as any of the other evos really, they're naturally going to be newer in general and probably often have less miles on them but in time they'll rust away just like the others if no preventative measures are taken.

·
Registered
321 Posts
:lol: the rubbish you read on this site.

The X is going to be as well protected as any of the other evos really, they're naturally going to be newer in general and probably often have less miles on them but in time they'll rust away just like the others if no preventative measures are taken.
Yes thanks aidy for being the keyboard warrior you are. You are of course correct and if I could have been bothered to articulate my answer correctly it would have read as per your quote.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
theres no more or less rust protection than any other car out there ,there was a 60 plate suzuki something at the end of my road last week it was in a shocking state rust wise
most modern cars paint isnt something used widely

·
Registered
321 Posts
theres no more or less rust protection than any other car out there ,there was a 60 plate suzuki something at the end of my road last week it was in a shocking state rust wise
most modern cars paint isnt something used widely
We had brand new Toyota hilux and Mitsubishi L200 when over in Kenya with work and they had already started to corrode on the chassis rails and sub frames. These weren't subjected to particularly harsh conditions weather wise and they had less than a 1000 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Thing is there's a difference between corrosion and rot. Steel parts like brackets, sub frames etc are not very well protected from factory etc but that's same for any cars but there not going to fall apart because there a bit rusty same as a bit of surface rust on your floor pan etc is nothing to worry about

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
while at least we have to suffer a bit of surface rust ,thank god we dont own NISSAN NAVARAs ,now that RUST issues

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Im not driving my X over the winter if I can help it, they pile the salt on the roads around here. It's getting undersealed next month.

My local Mitsubishi dealer told me that had a X in as part ex that had been living on the coast for a few years. They said it looked fine on the body work but was rotten underneath..

·
Registered
571 Posts
They never made a non ferrous evo so they are all gonna rot with that top quality japanese steel ! Bikes are the same rust in front of your eyes,japs just dont get it build quality,except for maybe mr honda!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,825 Posts
Yes thanks aidy for being the keyboard warrior you are. You are of course correct and if I could have been bothered to articulate my answer correctly it would have read as per your quote.
I don't disagree with the technical part of your post, only the bit I quoted :)

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
On mine the 'shell' wasnt too bad at all mainly surface rust on the jacking points for obvious reasons. It was all the bolted on bits like subframes and brackets which were the worst but still cosmetic at the point i chose to resolve. I think most cars are the same but iver never even looked under the missus astra. I think that the main this is we care what our evo looks like as it isnt just a tool its a toy, hobby and some could say life! So for me surface rust was a no no and she now has a heated and dehumidified garage to live in inbetween trips out :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts