Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was away for a holiday with my wife and kids to alton towers. Car was fine on the way down, did all my lights and levels checks if you like, and everything was good.
Made the trip from Perth Scotland on Saturday and no issues, car drove great. Drove around buxton and Chester etc over the next couple of days no problems. Checked levels again after this and again all fine.
On the way to alton towers on Tuesday I heard a few little clunk's from the nsr but after lying on the ground in the car park and checking what I could get too, all seemed OK.
On the way back from alton towers to the hotel, the noise became more apparent but not constant but was beginning to sound rotational. Again checks seemed OK.
Wednesday morning, left the hotel and started to make our way home, noise gradually got worse and worse and had to pull over. Found a garage with a ramp and managed to convince a couple of guys to stick it up on a ramp for me to have a better look, not easy due to my Scottish accent and them struggling to understand what I was trying to ask for, but got there in the end.
Car up on ramp, no leaks apparent but eventually found the joint leaving the rear diff has alot of play. It's 4pm and baking hot and after asking if they would remove the driveshaft they politely told me they didn't have time for that due to needing to remove the lower arms etc, I said fairenough, at this point I knew I was gonna struggle to get something sorted and kids and wife wanted home badly so asked the guys if they would cut the driveshaft shaft out and leave the two ends in the diff and hub, they agreed.
Managed to get going again but gradually over the next several hours and being limited to 55mph, got home!
Haven't looked under the car yet but have a feeling my poor old diff has shat itself.
So, does anyone know where I could source a good replacement?
Are the manuals and sst rear diffs the same?
Can someone advise on what oils and quantities I am going to need?
Anything I need to know about for removing and fitting once I get the car up on axle stands?

Cheers Aj

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Was away for a holiday with my wife and kids to alton towers. Car was fine on the way down, did all my lights and levels checks if you like, and everything was good.
Made the trip from Perth Scotland on Saturday and no issues, car drove great. Drove around buxton and Chester etc over the next couple of days no problems. Checked levels again after this and again all fine.
On the way to alton towers on Tuesday I heard a few little clunk's from the nsr but after lying on the ground in the car park and checking what I could get too, all seemed OK.
On the way back from alton towers to the hotel, the noise became more apparent but not constant but was beginning to sound rotational. Again checks seemed OK.
Wednesday morning, left the hotel and started to make our way home, noise gradually got worse and worse and had to pull over. Found a garage with a ramp and managed to convince a couple of guys to stick it up on a ramp for me to have a better look, not easy due to my Scottish accent and them struggling to understand what I was trying to ask for, but got there in the end.
Car up on ramp, no leaks apparent but eventually found the joint leaving the rear diff has alot of play. It's 4pm and baking hot and after asking if they would remove the driveshaft they politely told me they didn't have time for that due to needing to remove the lower arms etc, I said fairenough, at this point I knew I was gonna struggle to get something sorted and kids and wife wanted home badly so asked the guys if they would cut the driveshaft shaft out and leave the two ends in the diff and hub, they agreed.
Managed to get going again but gradually over the next several hours and being limited to 55mph, got home!
Haven't looked under the car yet but have a feeling my poor old diff has shat itself.
So, does anyone know where I could source a good replacement?
Are the manuals and sst rear diffs the same?
Can someone advise on what oils and quantities I am going to need?
Anything I need to know about for removing and fitting once I get the car up on axle stands?

Cheers Aj
hi AJ

DM me. I have one for sale if your interested.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Realbadman, appreciate the help, will let you know as soon as I can.

Can anyone else help with removal / replacement and what oils and quantities I might need.

Cheers Aj

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Required oil spec/volume and removal/installation is all covered in the service manual:

Gearbox/Diff guru Clivew also posted the required spec/volumes in the following sticky post:

For reference I used the following in my rear diff:
SAYC clutch bath/ACD -> Millers Oils Millermatic ATF SP III WS
SAYC diff gear oil -> Fuchs TITAN SINTOPOID LS SAE 75W-90 synthetic gear oil

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect, thank you. I saw clivew's post and had checked through it.
Oilman also helped out so big thanks to him aswell. Managed to get diff oil sorted with ref to oilmans help and hopefully a guy at mitsubishi can source me some diaqueen oil for the ayc side of things, will post once I get everything.

Cheers Aj

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
No probs. Any particular reason you are going with the Diaqueen? I've been using the Fuchs stuff above instead for years and I've never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought it was the right way of doing it and specific oil needed but now looks like I will be sourcing something similar to your fuchs alternative as the diaqueen has fell through.
Will I need to bleed the acd system as well or will it be OK?
If I need to do, is there a correct way of doing it or do I just open the nipple on the unit at the front and let it bleed any air?

Cheers Aj

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get the oil checked before you go for a new diff. Mine sounded like a bag of spanner’s. Both sides drained with hardly anything in it. Almost ran dry. Re filled properly at APT and she’s good as gold. Checked for metal in oil that came out and all ok. Checked the AYC whilst at it and all good.
Will find the invoice but sure it was under £200 rather than the big bill of a new diff.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already have the replacement diff fitted, now just waiting on fresh fluids to put in it and make an attempt at bleeding the ayc manually, not sure if I need to bleed the acd aswell though?
Gonna get my original diff checked over, get an repairs if required done and resell it to recover some costs.

Cheers Aj

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had a reason to break seal on the AYC lines myself yet, but you'll need to bleed them when you fill it up and the easiest way is using the MUT III tool (or equivalent) to run the pump, however I believe there is an alternative way involving lifting the car up and turning the rear wheels by hand to get the pump to run.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep ahead of you there, iv also seen an read about doing it manually and have heard it does work. Iv also heard that the snap on diagnostic tool will also do a bleed function so might try that after the manual way just to get rid of any excess air maybe left.
Iv also bought a big syringe to draw any fluid through to help aswell.
Do i have to bleed the acd at the front aswell or will that be OK?

Cheers Aj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts