Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evo X MAF - Updated

Hi All,

Can someone tell me where is the best place to buy a MAF for my Evo X?

Mine is shagged :cry:

Just to bring this to an end. I fitted my new MAF this morning (Many thanks to Corky for sorting me out) and the car is back to being a hyper-sonic beast.

Many thanks for all your help and support.

Chris

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Just a question.. what air filter are you running?

crap that the MAF has blown, I take it you're in limp mode at the moment?

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
Not sure what traders are charging for these but they are mega money from :mitsi:

£500 plus iirc.

I have one spare (as I don't own a X anymore), brand new in the box that you can have for £180 delivered.

If that's competitive let me know :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a question.. what air filter are you running?

crap that the MAF has blown, I take it you're in limp mode at the moment?
I have the standard HKS panel filer in the air box that comes on the 360. I am not a fan of cone filters as they help MAFs to die and on most cars don't add much more than noise.

I am pretty sure it is the MAF, been back to Lee5 who mapped it and spoke to Matt at your place.

The car still runs but is not running on full power and keeps throwing up all sorts of MAF and air related error codes. Between Lee, my pal Rick, Matt and myself we have narrowed it down to being a MAF fault. The MAF is still reading but it would seem that there is not much else it could be - I cannot find a boost leak anywhere and it seems to be holding boost, the O2 sensors all seem to be reporting all ok.

The idle is not great and wonders from 800rpm to 1400, last night it was idling around 1800rpm. When I got it home from mapping it was fine, a few days later it threw up a engine fault for MAF, we cleared it and it was ok for a few days but then came back. I cleared that one and it came back the next day and now every time I clear it, it comes back straight away.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I have the standard HKS panel filer in the air box that comes on the 360. I am not a fan of cone filters as they help MAFs to die and on most cars don't add much more than noise.

I am pretty sure it is the MAF, been back to Lee5 who mapped it and spoke to Matt at your place.

The car still runs but is not running on full power and keeps throwing up all sorts of MAF and air related error codes. Between Lee, my pal Rick, Matt and myself we have narrowed it down to being a MAF fault. The MAF is still reading but it would seem that there is not much else it could be - I cannot find a boost leak anywhere and it seems to be holding boost, the O2 sensors all seem to be reporting all ok.

The idle is not great and wonders from 800rpm to 1400, last night it was idling around 1800rpm. When I got it home from mapping it was fine, a few days later it threw up a engine fault for MAF, we cleared it and it was ok for a few days but then came back. I cleared that one and it came back the next day and now every time I clear it, it comes back straight away.
yeah it sounds like its on its way out mate. you could try cleaning the airblade with electrical cleaner, clear the codes and see if it pops up again.

The HKS pannel filter is well known for blowing the MAF sensor, I switched to a cone years ago and I've never blown one since.

·
Registered
31,032 Posts
I ran a HKS panel for nearly 20k miles, competed in approximately 10 sprints and never had an issue with a MAF.

Hence why I have a spare, I got it just in case due to others having issues.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah it sounds like its on its way out mate. you could try cleaning the airblade with electrical cleaner, clear the codes and see if it pops up again.

The HKS pannel filter is well known for blowing the MAF sensor, I switched to a cone years ago and I've never blown one since.
Thats really interesting as i have seen similar posts on the XForums in the US ref the HKS filters killing them. As for cleaning it, I have cleaned it twice, once with MAF cleaner and once with Isopro

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Thats really interesting as i have seen similar posts on the XForums in the US ref the HKS filters killing them. As for cleaning it, I have cleaned it twice, once with MAF cleaner and once with Isopro
I have used cone filters for over 30k and never had a MAF failure. I also clean the blade on a regular basis with electrical contact cleaner :smthumbup

Have a spare MAF if anybody else wants one.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I ran a HKS panel for nearly 20k miles, competed in approximately 10 sprints and never had an issue with a MAF.

Hence why I have a spare, I got it just in case due to others having issues.
Yeah it does tend to take time, I think most fail after the filter is quite old. But I had two fail on me running the HKS pannel filter.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Is there a cone filter I can run that will mean I don't need another remap?
On a standard map you can fit a cone no problem, as the X runs pig rich......
If you are already mapped, I would at a minimum get the AFR's checked after changing to a cone, I changed from one brand of cone to another and it made AFR go from 10,5:1 to over 11:1 :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts