Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so new to the evo scene.

Got my first evo x last week an it's having some real
Issues getting in an out of 1st and 2nd gear specially when first starting up.
I'm finding it's not wanting to go into second more then anything or it feels like I'm having to really force it or pull out of gear an try going in again before it goes in an sometimes makes a crunching sound upon getting into gear.

Sometimes hard in first but more second gear is the problem.
Once the cars heated up abit seems not as bad but don't know if that even makes any difference.

Any help would be real help as I'm booked for a stage 3 at indigo in march an would like to know people thoughts as I'm hoping to get hem to fix it.
Car runs fine in every other gear not issues other hen that either.

Thanks for any advise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
guessing we are talking manual 10 here. Assuming so, going off traits of earlier evo's, you may find a different gear oil helps

Maybe ask Indigo for suggestions

Could also be a sign the clutch is on its what out, do you know what clutch is in it and how many miles has it done?

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'm on my second manual X and both have been a bit of a pig when cold going from 1-2. Once it's warmed up it's fine. Speak to indigo about a new gear oil instead of the standard Mitsi oil. From memory I did this with my last X and it helped a lot.

It's a bit of a pain but after 5 mins driving it's fine so I just live with it!

Reactions: Realbadman

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah mines more then 5 mins tho even when warm still
Have some issues with this gears.
I'm
Happy to get a new heavy duty clutch but for life of me do I wana live with a gearbox that's always crunching on those gears

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Yeah mines more then 5 mins tho even when warm still
Have some issues with this gears.
I'm
Happy to get a new heavy duty clutch but for life of me do I wana live with a gearbox that's always crunching on those gears

for what it would cost, i'd go with an gear oil change first, see what is advised

Stu

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Yes first step, change the gearbox fluid. As said this helped on my last X and see how you get on.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'll
Mention that anything in particular that's best to change it too ?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Best ask Indigo when you are there. Mine is going in early march for a few jobs.. They know X's inside out now, whenever I'm there I see 4-5 Xs in various states of work.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Last year :mitsi: change for me clutch&flywheel (OEM) plus Motul gear 300 75W90 and guess what, 1-2 hard to push in, even when warm :wallbang:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
If the oil change does not improve the issue have a look at the selector pivot on top of gearbox (the swivel assy that the selector cables fix to). The oe bushes in this are poor quality and can affect gear selection. CliveW has produced a modifed version with better bushes. I have one fitted and it greatly improves gear changing, more direct and precise.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the oil change does not improve the issue have a look at the selector pivot on top of gearbox (the swivel assy that the selector cables fix to). The oe bushes in this are poor quality and can affect gear selection. CliveW has produced a modifed version with better bushes. I have one fitted and it greatly improves gear changing, more direct and precise.
Could you get Clive to give me a message as would be interested in getting this mod if it helps

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last year :mitsi: change for me clutch&flywheel (OEM) plus Motul gear 300 75W90 and guess what, 1-2 hard to push in, even when warm :wallbang:
I've heard the oem clutch an flywheel
Are real weak an crap so
Been advised to get a heavy duty pro performance one instead so hopefully it's just that the oem one is crap an can be solved with a pro one :)

Finger crossed.
Surely if Mitsubishi said an oem replacement would solve it an it hasn't you could claim
Back on that as being misinformed

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
I've heard the oem clutch an flywheel
Are real weak an crap so
Been advised to get a heavy duty pro performance one instead so hopefully it's just that the oem one is crap an can be solved with a pro one :)

Finger crossed.
Surely if Mitsubishi said an oem replacement would solve it an it hasn't you could claim
Back on that as being misinformed

a clutch is a wearing part, comeback is very unlikely. Still think i'd try the oil first, and even bushes, much cheaper than changing a clutch that may not need changing

An experienced trader may also be able to tell you from the feel of the clutch, what his opinion on it is. Not an exact sience obviously, but a more educated opinion than most

Stu

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a clutch is a wearing part, comeback is very unlikely. Still think i'd try the oil first, and even bushes, much cheaper than changing a clutch that may not need changing

An experienced trader may also be able to tell you from the feel of the clutch, what his opinion on it is. Not an exact sience obviously, but a more educated opinion than most

Stu
Sorry I ment if they said that would solve an issue an it didn't solve it straight away you could be like " well that wasn't the problem "

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Sorry I ment if they said that would solve an issue an it didn't solve it straight away you could be like " well that wasn't the problem "

Getting into an awkward situation before you even start.

Thing is, bushes are a good investment if oe is weak, oil would be changed as part of a clutch replacement anyway, you could re-use the new oil if the clutch had gone. neither of these are wasted money, even if they dont fix the issue, and easy (not expensive) jobs

Fitting a clutch then finding out the fault remains is an expensive labour intensive mistake, thing is with stuff like this, half an hour of an experienced traders time, and their experienced opinion, can often save a lot of trial and error. Just be aware they are opinions, not guarantees. If you want guarantees, youd need to pay for clutch, gearbox strip, bushes and oil, basically renew everything

Stu

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Sounds like a higher grade oil could cure before you damage the 1st- 2nd synchros not common but do change all fuild when doing so transfer,diff,gearbox,etc will feel like new.

It's common for some of these cars needing warm up before driving depending on age/history/miles.

If it don't go into gear try pumping brakes then clutch down in to gear... or pump the clutch peddle to get it adjusted as they are self adjusting/bleed.

Riding the clutch is also a big culprit(not saying it's you or the mrs..could be previous;dingbat) as some high performance cars have a sac mechanism that needs to be bedded in and every time the clutch is riden it can cause this as I experienced it my self after burning out 4 different clutch kits from oem to 6 puck sintered race kits. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
My x "manual" is super smooth, even when cold!

As said try a good quality oil. Also have alook at the uprated bushes "gear selector bushes" if your still having problems.

The best man to be speaking to about issues on evo gearboxes is cliveW, give him a PM.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I've spoken to Clive this morning big help so hopefully he solved soon :) thanks for all the help tho guys :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts