Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy peeps!

I've just purchased an Evo X, FQ300, running 414bhp - or so the graph says (tuned by TRL of Halifax)!

The car itself is excellent, cant knock it, however, the exhaust isnt really to my taste - it has a Scorpion Turbo back system, with twin (i'm guessing) 5 or 6" tailpipes! Looks great, but isnt to my taste in terms of noise - its very loud, which I would expect (and I'm not against loud at all, in fact quite like it), however, this is more of a 'drone' loud than a sporty nice tuned loud.

Two questions I have are:

1. What system would anyone recommend - the blitz nur spec sounds awesome on some youtube clips, but obviously not sure if these show full system or just cat back??? Milltek? I had a milltek on my audi s4 v8 and it sounded great, but not sure on this car?

2. As above, the pipe on at the minute is a turbo back, however, there is a bolted joint after where I presume the cat was - what are the chances of a blitz or milltek bolting onto this and thus meaning I only need a cat back system???

Any advice hints or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dibble

·
Banned
732 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to MLR:smthumbup

I'd recommend either the Miltek or the Blitz Nur Spec, having heard both cat backs over their bed in time and since. The miltek is probably just slightly louder than my Blitz Nur Spec DT (not R but same exhaust bar the tips), but it has been on the car longer than mine and has an induction kit also. Both have silenced sections at beginning section just after cat. If you like fat tips IIRC miltek do a 4" or a 5" tip and the Blitz is 4.5" for both DT and R. The blitz will set you back quite a bit more but I and others are of the view that the quality is a little better for it.

Yep both should bolt up ok, a photo would help to be sure. Is your downpipe and decat all one piece?

As Sider mentioned, I'm sure TRL might be able to enlighten you further on the car and mods:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys!

Yep, the downpipe and decat are all one - havent seen the elbow as I havent had the heatshield off - only looked from top and bottom!

I think I'll probably go with teh blitz - if for no other reason than its a japanese car so japanese exhaust would seem most appropriate!!! And omn youtube the blitz sounded awesome - very dare i say bike like???

My plan is to get an exhaust sorted then go to TRL and have them remap it, together with maybe a new fuel pump, just to be on the safe side!

I did have it booked in with them for a niggly fault, but decided to hold off and get all sorted at once!

Cheers again!

*anyone care to purchase a scorpion cat back exhaust???

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Cheers guys!

Yep, the downpipe and decat are all one - havent seen the elbow as I havent had the heatshield off - only looked from top and bottom!

I think I'll probably go with teh blitz - if for no other reason than its a japanese car so japanese exhaust would seem most appropriate!!! And omn youtube the blitz sounded awesome - very dare i say bike like???

My plan is to get an exhaust sorted then go to TRL and have them remap it, together with maybe a new fuel pump, just to be on the safe side!

I did have it booked in with them for a niggly fault, but decided to hold off and get all sorted at once!

Cheers again!

*anyone care to purchase a scorpion cat back exhaust???
how much mate?

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
Cheers guys!
its a japanese car so japanese exhaust would seem most appropriate!!! *anyone care to purchase a scorpion cat back exhaust???
I totally agree, Stay JDM :) I have a GReddy power extreme II, bit too quiet for my tastes, maybe suit you? I'd go HKS Hi Power, sounds superb, looks superb, reasonably priced too :)
Last X scorpion sold v v cheap on Ebay btw.................!!

·
Banned
732 Posts
I totally agree, Stay JDM :) I have a GReddy power extreme II, bit too quiet for my tastes, maybe suit you? I'd go HKS Hi Power, sounds superb, looks superb, reasonably priced too :)
Last X scorpion sold v v cheap on Ebay btw.................!!
Here's a good pic of the Hi power

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/images/31008-BM001_04.jpg

No front silenced section which prob gives it a little more noise than others tho a Silent hi power is available also.

I considered this myself but in the end if I was going to replace the standard item then it would have to outlast it, as well as have more performance. Steel in main piping and not stainless and its not quite a true 3" pushed me away.

Fits in well with the no bling philosophy well though:D;)

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
Here's a good pic of the Hi power

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/images/31008-BM001_04.jpg

No front silenced section which prob gives it a little more noise than others tho a Silent hi power is available also.

I considered this myself but in the end if I was going to replace the standard item then it would have to outlast it, as well as have more performance. Steel in main piping and not stainless and its not quite a true 3" pushed me away.

Fits in well with the no bling philosophy well though:D;)
Hi power is not loud mate, just a lovely bass tone :) Not being full SS wouldn't bother me in the slightest, it will still easily outlast the oe rubbish, it's well protected :)

·
Banned
732 Posts
Hi power is not loud mate, just a lovely bass tone :) Not being full SS wouldn't bother me in the slightest, it will still easily outlast the oe rubbish, it's well protected :)
Yeah the note was what interested me in it in the first place. Yep not saying its a poor product just pointing out differences and my choices:)

The other factor in choosing is the tips, and the HKS suffers less in this respect with its extended tips. Some exhausts have short end tips and when on the car the smaller diameter piping to the tip is visible through the tip and looks a bit naf:blush:

The Blitz Nur Spec appears to be a very popular exhaust over the evo ranges especially 7,8,9, but there appear to be very few X owners with one yet, I am delighted with mine, sound and quality, must just be the price of it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts