Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nice review. Good point about the difference rather than either car being better .

I've read some of the other stuff on your site too and I'm impressed! I was the guy who you emailed a few months ago re my posting on the Evo forum about S2000 v's Evo VI. I appreciated your comments then too, which aided in my decision to get an Evo VI.

Nice site on the whole, good to see such a collection of car information from a driver. Keep up the good work!

Davy T

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10/10, *****, 2 thumbs up!

Excellent review, I don't know what I'm more jealous of - the writing or the fact you've tried a 6 and a P1! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UR spot on about da P1 brakes, they R such a let down, I test drove a P1 and amp; a TME in the same week and amp; the lack of feelin of speed and amp; poor brakes on da P1 made my mind up.... I went 4 da TME.

Good 2 C the new STI has addressed the brake problem, shame about da hippo looks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you find the build quality of the P1, and were you not put off driving by all the rattles and squeaks.I sold a white EVO6 late last year and bought a P1, only lasted a couple of months. Nice noise with scoobysport exhaust though. Back in a proper car now, red TME. beleive me, NO COMPARISON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the commenst guys...

I enjoy writing stuff and ading pics etc.. but its good to know that its not just for me and people do actually get something out of it. Theres loads of lotus stuff on teh web but there a serious lack of Jap sites and especially EVO related. Jerry Flints site is the reference - shame theres not more like it with owners diaries, tips and guides etc.. But then I guess the MLR serves most purposes when you have the time to go through the archives. Can't wait for HH6's faq ...... how's it coming along Colin ?

Si...

P1 didn't seem to rattle that much but then I didn't really focus on that much. BUt I absolutely hated the interior with a vengence. Poeple say the EVO interior is crap but I like it and its like a Bentley compared to the P1. New age scooby interior is well plastiky as well - esp. teh doors and door handles/ mirror switches etc.. The Mitsi hides its plastikyness very well I think and the console is superb. Only good thing aou the driving position was the view of the bonnet scoop. Seats not a patch on EVOs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great review on a quality site! Keep up the good work.

errr...FAQ's...they will be done by Christmas (honest!). I have been doing some other bits and bobs for WC so the FAQ's have been side tracked. They will be back on top of the pile now so hopefully it will be included in the site update which I assume will be at the start of the new year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a visitor from Scoobynet and a P1 owner. I read the review with interest although it did say everything I thought it would. Every EVO owner is naturally going to defend his car against the P1 and vice versa.

Rather strangely I bought my P1 without ever having tried an Evo (although I have read up plenty on them).

The main reason I did not seriously consider the EVO were looks, insurance, lack of range, I didnt want too hard a set up as I do a great number of miles and residual values. The P1 is also reckoned to be faster in a straight line depending on what you read (ie anything but Autocar) as it has better PWR. The noise of a P1 is also awesome provided you upgrade the exhaust as standard it is nearly silent.

The brakes are poor on the P1 and I am somewhat disappointed that Prodrive let the car role into the dealership with the standard brakes on them. Its not that they dont do the job its just that they do not inspire very much confidence.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the P1 (its a huge improvement over my previous scoobs) but I am interested to see if I can exercise the EVO demon.
So I'm off to Ralliart in a couple of weekends time.

My query for you guys is do I try the VI or VII for the full experience. Remmeber I want to compare like for like so no Extremes or RS'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wilf,
IMHO you should try both the VI and the VII because there are differences between the two of them.
I'm interested that you rule out the Extreme's or the RS variants though. The P1 is an uprated modded scooby therefore why not try it out against an uprated modded Evo?

I too have test driven a P1 and have to say that for a day to day car it would probably be preferable (even though I still use my E6 day to day) because of the more compliant suspension (especially on some of the roads around where I live!!) but the brakes were a big disappointment compared to the Evo.

I hope you have fun trying them out and don't forget to let us know your thoughts on them after you've been to Ralliart.

Andy

Edited because I can't spell.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wilf...

you may as well try both, Ralliart should be more than happy to let you do this. You should also drive an extreme (they have a 6 extreme in teh showroom) to get an idea of what is possible after only just 3K of engine tuning.

As for my article.. firstly I was not trying to defend my car against a P1. In my mind there is no competition or defending required:

a) because they really are so so different
b) becuase as I said in the beginning of the review I would never buy one cos of the looks etc.. So in a way I don't have a scooby demon to expel.

The article was merely meant to try and give an insight into what the two cars are exactly like to drive and what they both feel like (instead of qouting meaningless 0-60 times and saying that the P1 will understeer sooner than the EVO which is also meaningless 'cos you alter that soon as you get the car on a ramp etc..)

Despite the brakes and the steering I think I was very fair on the P1, pointing out its weaknesses and its strengths and also declaring that the EVO was not better but just different and amp; horses for courses etc.. I also said that I preferred the P1 engine.

As for teh P1 being faster than an EVO out of teh box, I don't remember reading that anywhere. EVO magazine said they were both the same but also pointed out that after 7000 miles the EVO opens up considerably. Autocar showed times of almost a second quicker to 100 in the EVO. Its all irrelevant 'cos once you get an EVO or P1 you can tune it to what you like in any case.

WHatever, they are all in the 99th percentile of cars out there and all great machines. Make sure you post you thoughts back here when you get back from Dudley.

Regards

Richard

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jackal,

good review mate. Could you do one for an RB5 as i was thinking about trying one of these when i got my TME?

Wilf,

Keep us posted on how you get on. If you get a chance I'd try both the E6 (TME) and E7. RS has too short gearing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only had 2 run ins with P1's. The first didnt want to play, the other bolted off but after less than 2 secs I was nearly eating his lunch.
The P1 did sound great though :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the sound of the P1 is the 1 thing that puts the EVO 2 shame, must B the odd engine layout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts