Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run in and learn my new Evo VIII. What surprises me most is it's heavy tendency to oversteer in medium speed corners. It happened a couple of times when I threw it into 90-120 kph corner that rear end become light and try to tighten the line (I suppose it's SAYC working) but when I pushed it a bit harder at this time, especialy when changing direction to a next bend, it loses the traction at the rear and get into oversteer. It's unpredictable (for a first time it was like a helluva surprise) but very controlable, almost could say lots of fun going sideways at 100 kph on a dry tarmac but on the other hand it shouldn't behave so nasty without any warning - it's public road not track driving...

I have driven 2003 US Evo VIII (no ACD and SAYC) before and it didn't do such thing - was just very predictable. No light&tightening feeling at the rear end at speed but also no sudden oversteer, just pure grip.

Should I learn something more about European Evo traction? Should I modify my driving (one thing I can imagine is just too little throttle as I do not exceed 5 krpm during run in period)? Or maybe check my car, like alignment or diffs?

For the moment the car is bone stock, Potenza RE050 tires @ 2.2F and 1.9R, not pushed very hard, just warming up and getting to know the new car. So a bit affraid how would it be when I start nailing it really hard... Any imputs and advices from experienced Evo drivers would be helpful.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody experienced that?

Browsing the threads here I found this statement (by GlobalGB):
"The pendulum effect of the AYC is a right pain in the arse"

Could you explain?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
kamil said:
Nobody experienced that?

Browsing the threads here I found this statement (by GlobalGB):
"The pendulum effect of the AYC is a right pain in the arse"

Could you explain?
All cars "pendulum" when you push beyond the limits and don't have the skill to get it back. Some people like to blame the car (in the EVO's case the AYC) instead of their own driving.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Aidy said:
All cars "pendulum" when you push beyond the limits and don't have the skill to get it back. Some people like to blame the car (in the EVO's case the AYC) instead of their own driving.
Oh contraire monsieur, the AYC likes to over compensate in such a way that you need to correct to get it to straight line. In an LSD car this would not be a problem (probably because I would end up around a tree by then but thats another story ;) ). Lack of skill maybe working out how the bugger works (AYC) but just seems more of an annoyance than any real danger when taking 90 degree turns (I forgot to mention I only get this effect when teeing off a sharp left/right turn from a main road).

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
When I went from an integrale to a evo 6 it felt very weird, unnerving, I kept trying to fight what i thought was over/understerr but it was in fact the AYC doing its job. I learnt to just trust it, got used to it! It maybe that you feel it working and instinctively lift off a fraction hence the back goes light.

I had it go very unstable and tail happy when mixing AVS and s02 but never with a single tyre make, that is also tru of the 8 I have now.

Stick with it if u don't get used to it maybe theres a small problem somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
GlobalGB said:
Oh contraire monsieur, the AYC likes to over compensate in such a way that you need to correct to get it to straight line. In an LSD car this would not be a problem (probably because I would end up around a tree by then but thats another story ;) ). Lack of skill maybe working out how the bugger works (AYC) but just seems more of an annoyance than any real danger when taking 90 degree turns (I forgot to mention I only get this effect when teeing off a sharp left/right turn from a main road).
If the AYC is "over compensating" then it "isn't working". :) What is happening is that the driver is putting in steering input to get the back end in line, and when it is back inline the driver has not lessened the steering input. This causes the car to swing the other way and if the driver didn't have the skill to get it in line the first time, they're not going to do it this time so it swings even more back the original way. Same thing happens and the car spins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.