Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a newbie here, so be gentle! ;)

After 10 years of Subaru Impreza ownership, I've finally been swayed to the dark side. I absolutely love the UK Evo VIII MR FQ models and I will be looking to buy one as soon as possible. However, as I'm new to Evo ownership, I was hoping for the expertise of this community in what I should be looking out for and the right questions to ask when viewing. I won't be jumping straight in the deep end and want to make sure the car is right for me.

Just for reference, my budget is around 10K and I'm not overly concerned which FQ model I buy. I hope you can help with the above and I look forward to being a contributing member of this community.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll need more than 10k to get yourself a good low miled MR mate.

Welcome :)
Really? I've seen quite a few for around 10K with 50,000 on the clock. Would you suggest not going near them for this price?

What are the performance differences between the MR FQ-300 and the standard FQ-300? Maybe I should keep my options open. :confused:

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Really? I've seen quite a few for around 10K with 50,000 on the clock. Would you suggest not going near them for this price?

What are the performance differences between the MR FQ-300 and the standard FQ-300? Maybe I should keep my options open. :confused:
Yes you'll get a good one for £10k with reasonable miles.

The MR has quite a few upgrades to the VIII FQ and is a much better car IMO. ;)

Different interior (seats / dash panels etc).
Aluminium roof.
Different wheels.
Different lights
to name a few.

Just be careful of rust around the bootlid where the spoiler attaches, flaking laquer on the spoiler and AYC lights ;)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Yes you'll get a good one for £10k with reasonable miles.

The MR has quite a few upgrades to the VIII FQ and is a much better car IMO. ;)

Different interior (seats / dash panels etc).
Aluminium roof.
Different wheels.
Different lights
to name a few.

Just be careful of rust around the bootlid where the spoiler attaches, flaking laquer on the spoiler and AYC lights ;)
Also the turbo was better and so was the cams in the MR's

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I've salivated over that beauty, and obviously, an FQ-340 would be the ultimate for me. My only concerns are the faults I'd need to fix, the mods (I'd prefer as close to standard as possible for insurance purposes) and the fact that I'm based in the south of England (Reading). I'm also not sure whether to go trade or private. I'm leaning towards trade purely for warranty purposes and I can only take the word of a private seller that there are no hidden faults. Not that I'm insinuating dishonesty, but it only takes one bad experience and for the money I'm spending, I'd need that reassurance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi there
I'm a newbie too. I searched for 4 almost 5 months and I was looking for the same car as you with the same budget. I just got an MRFQ340 for 10k with fsh and 50k on it. Travelled over 800 mile round trip!

If youre willin to wait then one may come up at that price. But if your saving whilst waitin, there's a 320MR with low miles (evo 5tar) and a 340MR (Tyson X) both for 12k ish. Both gunmetal grey

I'm 30, 10 years NCB and my insurance is £382 a year:smthumbup

Gaz

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 33 with 11ncb so hopefully I'll be laughing.

I really want a MRFQ340 but 12K is just too much over my budget.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
There is a MR 340 in cars for sale section, being sold by Henke. Have you seen it? :smthumbup
Thanks for that chief. :smthumbup

My car has had a knackered ayc pump for months, and been garaged at my parents house. I picked up a low milage pump today which will be fitted hopefully thursday or friday. The car will be re advertised on here and pistonheads soon at around £10,500. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi there
I'm a newbie too. I searched for 4 almost 5 months and I was looking for the same car as you with the same budget. I just got an MRFQ340 for 10k with fsh and 50k on it. Travelled over 800 mile round trip!

If youre willin to wait then one may come up at that price. But if your saving whilst waitin, there's a 320MR with low miles (evo 5tar) and a 340MR (Tyson X) both for 12k ish. Both gunmetal grey

I'm 30, 10 years NCB and my insurance is £382 a year:smthumbup

Gaz
Hi there mate erm just a question but who are you insured with ? I can't get any where near that cheap,cheapest I've found is £995 lol cheers:smthumbup

Gra:mitsi:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hi buddy:smthumbup, I'd buy this beaut for deffo if I were you. Well worth a look!

Thanks for that chief. :smthumbup

My car has had a knackered ayc pump for months, and been garaged at my parents house. I picked up a low milage pump today which will be fitted hopefully thursday or friday. The car will be re advertised on here and pistonheads soon at around £10,500. ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Henke - there's one I'm looking at at the moment with free warranty. But if that falls through, I may well be knocking on your door.

What's the best insurance company to call for mod's?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi there mate erm just a question but who are you insured with ? I can't get any where near that cheap,cheapest I've found is £995 lol cheers:smthumbup

Gra:mitsi:
Hi

I'm with Admiral :smthumbup I've apparently got "previous performance car experience" with them. It does help where I live tho... low theft area.

Cheers
Gaz

1 - 20 of 33 Posts