Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am toying with the idea of chopping in the Rover 75 (K&N, freeflow, de-cat & iridium sparkplugs) for an Evo VIII (53 plate FQ300)

Can anyone tell me what differences I should expect between the two cars, as the MG Club lads tell me in standard form the VIII isnt a far cry from a modded 75 like mine.

I appreciate the turbo in the VIII will give me that turbo-rush that a 75 wont, but you cant beat the silky smooth V6 delivery of the Rover either.

Has anyone come from a 75 to an Evo that can explain the differences ? or has anyone gone from an Evo to a Rover 75 ?

Regards
Mo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Mo Mowlam said:
the MG Club lads tell me in standard form the VIII isnt a far cry from a modded 75 like mine.

I appreciate the turbo in the VIII will give me that turbo-rush that a 75 wont, but you cant beat the silky smooth V6 delivery of the Rover either.

Regards
Mo
:confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
554 Posts
but you cant beat the silky smooth V6 delivery of the Rover either. :crackup:


Get an evo and never look back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input lads, but you havent really answered my questions ? :confused: - you just seem more keen on taking the mickey out of me :(

Does anyone in here have any proper technical / appraisal feedback for me ?

Many thanks
Mo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Mo,

Are you for real :(

You are not seriously comparing a Rover 75 with an FQ300 !

If not then fair play. If you are then you need :help:

Daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why does everyone just take the mickey in here :(

I thought I was asking a serious question

Both cars cost about the same, and have astounding pace. Just one delivers it in a turbo 'rally' way and the other in a smooth 'touring car' way.

I appreciate the Evo handles better, but in a straight line there cant be much in it surely.

Anyway, is ANYONE qualified to answer my query ? ie has anyone driven both ?

Regards
Mo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
This isn't a serious question. The 75 does not deliver in a touring car way, it delivers in a smooth lazy, soft riding way. There's nothing taut, sharp or precise like an evo. One car has a Tommi Makkinen special edition the other has a Driving Miss Daisy special edition. If you want a proper answer don't ask a totally unrealistic question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
biggyt said:
This isn't a serious question. The 75 does not deliver in a touring car way, it delivers in a smooth lazy, soft riding way. There's nothing taut, sharp or precise like an evo. One car has a Tommi Makkinen special edition the other has a Driving Miss Daisy special edition. If you want a proper answer don't ask a totally unrealistic question.
I'm Sorry! but have you driven a well modded 75 V6 ? If not, you'd best not dig yourself any deeper.

Anyway, I'm not here to defend the 75 for all its good virtues. I am here to ask a serious question about the differences between my current fast road car and the Evo VIII - up to now, no one seems capable of giving me any answers :confused:

Regards
Mo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
There is more than one type of rover 75.........what is the spec of yours as they do the 'Z' series.....

But, to be honest they are two totally different cars, and i doubt that many people on here would have driven one (myself included)as people who drive rovers don't generally look towards a car like the evo as a replacement.



:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its the V6 Connoisseur model. Not as sporting looking as MG versions, but with the well chosen mods I have on it, it is a real Q-Car.

However, I'm not here to talk about my Rover. What can you all tell me about the VIII ? Does it come with leather or sat-nav ? at what is its mpg ?

Regards
Mo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
I think bothe leather (full) and sat nav are dealer options on the VIII , however if you go for the VIII MR FQ340 this comes as standard with half leather and some type of sat nav. As far as MPG goes , between 5-10MPG on a trackday , 15 MPG around town and about 20-25 MPG max on a relaxing run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,325 Posts
Mo Mowlam said:
Dear All,

I am toying with the idea of chopping in the Rover 75 (K&N, freeflow, de-cat & iridium sparkplugs) for an Evo VIII (53 plate FQ300)

Can anyone tell me what differences I should expect between the two cars, as the MG Club lads tell me in standard form the VIII isnt a far cry from a modded 75 like mine.

I appreciate the turbo in the VIII will give me that turbo-rush that a 75 wont, but you cant beat the silky smooth V6 delivery of the Rover either.

Has anyone come from a 75 to an Evo that can explain the differences ? or has anyone gone from an Evo to a Rover 75 ?

Regards
Mo
:crackup:

I am pretty sure this is wind up but I will reply still :eek:

Your Rover 75 puts out about 174bhp 177lbft torque so with your mods you can add maybe another 10bhp and 5lbft. The Evo FQ300 puts out obviously 300bhp with an exhaust and decat around 330 and 300lbft all in a car that is actually lighter than your Rover. So put it this way the Evo will be/feel three times as fast as your car.
As for running costs I would say you could times those by 3 as well.
Hope that helps

Matt
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I'm not sure what models come with what, all i know is the spec reaches about as far as electric windows front and rear, remote central locking maybe air con, folding electric wing mirrors, but thats about it.

Leather, smart-nav & even floor mats are extras.

leather i think is about £1250 +vat
Smart-nav about £650 +vat
Ralliart floor mats £170 +vat


These are from memory as i bought my car about 3 months ago, so they may not be exact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Evo VIII advice - newbie calling

Leonard said:
:crackup:

I am pretty sure this is wind up but I will reply still :eek:

Your Rover 75 puts out about 174bhp 177lbft torque so with your mods you can add maybe another 10bhp and 5lbft. The Evo FQ300 puts out obviously 300bhp with an exhaust and decat around 330 and 300lbft all in a car that is actually lighter than your Rover. So put it this way the Evo will be/feel three times as fast as your car.
As for running costs I would say you could times those by 3 as well.
Hope that helps

Matt
:)
Hello Matt, thank you for your input it is appreciated :) My Rover is putting out nearly 250 bhp now actually. At least that is what Power Engineering's dyno says. It really is quick. I nearly ran it at TOTB for the Rover team last year. I think you would be surprised.

You have slightly put me off the Evo with your comments though as I thought the running costs would be less than the Rovers due to having two less cylinders.

Regards
Mo
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top