Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly great forum, secondly i'm looking for some advice!
I'm thinking about trading in my S3 for a Evo VIII (260) - it will be second hand and probably purchased from a stealer! (need the warrenty etc...) Anyway, i don't know much about the running cost etc.. so, how much are the services, what are the service intervals? what sort of MPG do you get from them (nomal driving!) any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You will be looking at 25.9MPG on the 260 & over 200 miles to a tank if you really behave yourself. Super Unleaded Fuel dont forget.

Service intervals are the same as most evo's which is every 4,500 miles or 6 months.

Services I am unsure of as I am not near my first service yet. :angel:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply - what size is the tank? and what did you drive before your Evo?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello matey,

I used to have an S3 before I got my Evo. The S3 is a great car but the Evo takes things a bit further. You won't be disappointed!

As already mentioned, servicing comes every 4500 miles or 6 months. Think its about 200 ish (depending on where you go). Big services (45K) are more expensive, £700 ish.

Good luck with it,

Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't buy a New One...

Advice...

Stear Clear and don't buy a new one... ;)

I had my fingers burnt big time and just last week sold a 6 month old 260 for £3,500.

Seriously...if you look hard enough you will be able to pick one up for between £16 & £17k.

Running costs? :eek: :eek:

Ignore figures of 25.9 MPG. :confused:

Realistically expect 16-18 MPG :cry: :cry:

As long as you have got endless amounts of cash to burn then go for it...otherwise forget it! :beerchug:

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Straight line performance wise there isnt really much in it between an S3 and an EVO (though someone did get a 13.56 quarter mile in a standard 260!). However, (and this is a big however ;) ) handling wise it will absolutely trash the S3 and for a reasonably low amount of funds (approx 2k+) you can get the car upto a safe 330bhp meaning you will be able to keep up the best of them. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Chris,

This is such a dilema! I'm test driving a 260 on the 9th April,which i'm really looking forward too, I need to look into the insurance as it maybe an issue (£!).. and the service intervals might also stop me from getting one. I do over 20K a year so i'm looking at 4/5 services. another thing on my mind is the interior! how did you find it going from the Audi to the Evo?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Re: Don't buy a New One...

Micka said:
Advice...

Stear Clear and don't buy a new one... ;)

I had my fingers burnt big time and just last week sold a 6 month old 260 for £3,500. :eek: :eek:
3500 bloody cheep as chips :D are you sure :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ooops

Meant to say I lost £3.5K on new :confused:

The deal was the Clio @ £8k + £8,500 Cash back...in exchange for the EVO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
DBUK,

The interior of the S3 was far superior to the Evo (and more comfortable), but thats not what an Evo is really about. I can live with the interior quite happily so thats no an issue. 20K miles a year is a lot. Have you thought about a brand new one with 3 yrs free servicing. Could work out cheaper than buying second hand one.

Chris

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Dont mean to be obviously but all New cars depreciate and the Evo's I know myself will lose money quickly! I accounted for this when I bought mine.

I bought it for the fun drive etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

I no what you mean about the interior and it's not the point of an Evo! but kinda like the heated seats! LOL! I have just checked the Mitsubishi web site and they are offering 3 years free servicing but when you read the small print it's 3years free servicing or 27,000 miles... so I'd probably get about a year free (which would help)...

Saintsman - who you insured with? my "S" is more than that and i'm 29 as well!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
h0bbsie said:
Dont mean to be obviously but all New cars depreciate and the Evo's I know myself will lose money quickly! I accounted for this when I bought mine.

I bought it for the fun drive etc
Thats what it's all about! the driving experience...!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do around 15K a year (5 months into Evo VIII 260 ownership) and I'm not finding the Evo any problems on day to day motorway runs etc. Get around 260-270 miles to a tank of pure motorway driving (before the light is on) at usual motorway cruise speeds (not excessive). I got the foc servicing so for 27K it's only the hassle of getting it into the garage for the day each time (or do it while you wait possibly?). Second hand I reckon is the way to go, what you'll save on purchase price should more than cover the equivalent of 27K foc servicing. But they are not shifting perhaps as well as expected from the forecourts so a deal on a new one is a probability and even with the foc servicing.

Town driving and spirited a/b roads and I'm lucky to get 170-200 miles from the tank before the light comes on (55 litre tank, light on with about 10 litres left or so).

I opted to get the dual tone leather/alcantara for mine as the interior isn't the best (by a fair way) but as mentioned not really the point of them, but blue/black leather contrasts the blue exterior nicely so it does lift it a little.

Previous motors were a 04 Civic Type R (a two month mistake - for me anyway) and a 02 Scooby WRX with Prodrive Performance Pack and prior to that a 01 Golf V6 4Motion.

Evo has these lot beat hands down for me, but I suppose I would say that. The test drive will be good, make sure you get a mix of roads, the hard ride won't suit all and the odd rattle certainly isn't going to help comparing to the Audi. I guess a compromise motor is still the Scooby WRX, loads of euro imports for around the 16K mark with full warranty, you perhaps get a better interior, decent performance but not so sharp handling.

Insurance is about £1K for me inc. busines use. 33 yo, must be a dodgy post code!

Company pays me 13p a mile, personal use and the tax man gives me back about the same in AMAP credits so although I'm not really making on the fuel it doesn't much either... plus the customers always volunteer to come to lunch in my motor instead of their own or the salesman's rep Saab!

Sorry, should have also added - you get a bit of playful banter on here with the 260, pretty light hearted but it is the 'entry' level Evo... and some peoples opinions on the low-line rear spoiler is that it's a bit :gay:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply, made an interesting read. to be honest I think that if i do go for a Evo VIII then it will be a second hand 260 with as low mileage as i can find! and maybe i'll be able to negotiate a deal (FOC servicing or something) There is not that much difference in our mileage a year (or mileage allowance) so that may not be such a concern as i first thought. and i can handle 1K for the insurance but anything more is a bit much, I will certainly shop around for the best quote tho.

P.S I also had a 4motion - what a mistake that was!

·
Registered
223 Posts
With you on the 4Motion front, what a dull drive... horrible on on anything other than a smooth road. I was really disappointed with it, don't know if I was more disappointed with the ride or the fact it looked just like a 1.4 shopping trolley! Although financially was about the best I've done, lost very little money compared to the later Jap machines I've had - need to learn to keep them a bit longer.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts