Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Ok, i have a 2006 Evo VIII 260, completely standard and i am now about to get some tuning work done, but what work that is the question.

My options are

1. Screw the warranty (my dealer has said ANY mods cwould be reported to Mitsubishi in the event of a warranty issue) and go for

a. Ecutek remap
b. HKS cat back exhaust (want to keep the main cat for future MoT)
c. New front pipe (no cat)
d. Induction kit
e. Boost controller

Tuners believe about 330-360 bhp possible

2. The try to cover my tracks option

a. Ecutek remap (sort out over rich fueling)
b. Replacement filter for standard airbox

Tuners believe about 300 bhp possible

Obviously option 2 is way cheaper but the cost isnt the issue. I am worried about loosing my warranty, BUT should i be.

Appreciate any constructive comments or experience's

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Hi Mark

I have a 2006 260 and am in the same dilemma as u about the warranty. You have 2 admit tho option 2 is tempting just 2 start with ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
my 260 is tuned by WRC to 340 bhp and 360 torque, it feels lovely on the road. sod warranty!! mine by the way has been perfect and is currently on 17k miles, i am however very easy on the car and dont thrash it everytime i get into it.

do it trust me you will not regret it.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We use a full 3inch turbo back exhaust with 100cell anti-lag proof sports cats (fully MOT legal) on our 260's, pop in a panel filter and remap to achieve around 350 bhp .

At the end of the day the ECUtek remap is invisible to your dealer its just how he feels about the full exhaust system (and the fact its twice as quick lol )

From personal experience dealers have been ok with warranty on anything non engine related , i then found a friendly dealer who sorted it all for me under warranty ;)

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Warrenty shmorrenty.

If money is no option get her up to 400bhp. Mine will be pushing that figure in 3 weeks. ;) I've done the whole 340bhp stage one thing but it simply isnt enough.

The only thing you probably would need your warrenty for anyway could be a clutch replacement but thats only if your hammering it. Go for it :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dommy said:
I didn't think the clutch was covered by warranty?
Depends what's wrong with it. Mine was replaced under warranty last year.
Normal wear won't be covered, other faults will be. Once you fight with the fe(kers for a while :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
We use a full 3inch turbo back exhaust with 100cell anti-lag proof sports cats (fully MOT legal) on our 260's, pop in a panel filter and remap to achieve around 350 bhp .

At the end of the day the ECUtek remap is invisible to your dealer its just how he feels about the full exhaust system (and the fact its twice as quick lol )

From personal experience dealers have been ok with warranty on anything non engine related , i then found a friendly dealer who sorted it all for me under warranty ;)
350bhp with just those mods from a 260
:confused: :confused:
so no uprated pump or boost controller needed :confused:

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
evo_dorset said:
350bhp with just those mods from a 260
:confused: :confused:
so no uprated pump or boost controller needed :confused:
You'd need the uprated pump but boost controller isnt neccessery.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
blair260 said:
You'd need the uprated pump but boost controller isnt neccessery.
thought so, cant wait to get mine done
so many different tuners with different options
just like trying to choose tyres lol

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
evo_dorset said:
thought so, cant wait to get mine done
so many different tuners with different options
just like trying to choose tyres lol
Just like choosng women you mean :crackup:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
blair260 said:
Just like choosng women you mean :crackup:
lol yer joking
im spending alot of money on the car
dont do that on a woman :crackup: :crackup:
and the car will be less grief once all the choices have been made :crackup:

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Main Dealers wont tell you this

But European law "Block exsemption" state's somthing like this

" The manufacturer has to prove that your after market product was a direct failure of the warranty claim before they can rejact the claim"

Having worked in a main dealer and selling re-maps and chips ect. on new cars. Remainding the manufacturer or dealer of this law shouldn't cause you a problem.

Some dealers are modification freindley if they are subtle mods
I.e Exhaust and Ecutek, induction kit. Some dealers are happy for the warranty work. after all it is a source of revenue for them.

If you have an ecutek and run into problems you can have a stock calibration file flashed back into car. having said this, an ecutek is a very reliable way of gaing BHP and torque and this itself with an exhaust will not cause you any failure

350 to 360 bhp and 340 - 350 ft/lb of torque is acheavable with no boost controller. A uprated fuel pump is recomended for reliability but no a nesesity. a panel filter and exhaust will be needed and preferably a sport cat 100 cel, but dealers dont worry about these mods
Regards Matt
[email protected]
01422 241241

edgey said:
Hi

Ok, i have a 2006 Evo VIII 260, completely standard and i am now about to get some tuning work done, but what work that is the question.

My options are

1. Screw the warranty (my dealer has said ANY mods cwould be reported to Mitsubishi in the event of a warranty issue) and go for

a. Ecutek remap
b. HKS cat back exhaust (want to keep the main cat for future MoT)
c. New front pipe (no cat)
d. Induction kit
e. Boost controller

Tuners believe about 330-360 bhp possible

2. The try to cover my tracks option

a. Ecutek remap (sort out over rich fueling)
b. Replacement filter for standard airbox

Tuners believe about 300 bhp possible

Obviously option 2 is way cheaper but the cost isnt the issue. I am worried about loosing my warranty, BUT should i be.

Appreciate any constructive comments or experience's

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: Re: Evo VIII 260 Tuning. What to do??

Matt TRL said:
350 to 360 bhp and 340 - 350 ft/lb of torque is acheavable with no boost controller. A uprated fuel pump is recomended for reliability but no a nesesity. a panel filter and exhaust will be needed and preferably a sport cat 100 cel, but dealers dont worry about these mods
Maybe dealers shouldn't worry about these mods, but I'm sure that some (most) would if any engine problem cropped up as a warranty claim.

Nickp, or Black Knight, - any comments on this?

Anyway, I'm keen to stick with the warranty and un-modded car insurance for the time being. Maybe when insurance renewed with a company that accepts mods, I will think again about whether to get more power and potentially lose warranty cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"in warranty" tuning

Guys,

I'm sure there was a reply to this post regarding a genuine mitsi kit containing a downpipe, and ralliart ecu for a 260. I now can't find it, anyone know the part number again ??

cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts