Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always intended to modify my VIII 260 and following its first service, I thought it was about time I did something about it. I reviewed a number of threads regarding various 260 upgrade options and spoke to a few companies, before deciding to go for the ECUTEK remap. I didn’t want the full stage 1 conversion (exhaust, air filter & re-map etc.) as I use the car everyday to commute to work and felt that a (louder) performance exhaust would ‘do my head in’ on the motorway.

Anyway, had a look on the ECUTEK web site and contacted a few of their distributors for advice. Ended up phoning Powerstation in Tewkesbury who (I believe) had just moved premises and also just finished building their rolling road. They seemed knowledgeable on the phone so I arranged to have the work done today.

Arrived at 9:15am this morning and was quite impressed with the general set-up and friendliness of the staff. Rich looked after me and before long he had my car on the rolling road with various instruments, monitors and computers plugged into it and was talking me through the results of the first few power runs. My 260 which has been religiously fed on Optimax since birth, was pushing out a very respectable 270+ bhp in standard form and 297.2 bhp / 402.6 Nm following the ECUTEK remap.

As we all know, the headline power figures are not everything so I was eager to see how the 260 performed on the way home. To my astonishment, it felt a completely different car, it was a lot smoother and more driveable. The in-gear acceleration in 3rd and 4th had noticeably improved and the car now revs effortlessly all the way to the red line – before it seemed to run out of steam around 5500rpm.

Can I recommend the mod – YES :D,
Can I recommend Powerstation – YES :D
Am I going to continue modifying the 260 – seriously considering it ;) , Rich (Powerstation) recommended a few options so I may take him up on his word.

Graph attached.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
try again with the graph............

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
:smthumbup

Nice one buddy, good results.
The 260's really are the best buy, Iwish I'd got one and modded it instead of being swayed by the 260 knockers :eek:

Still, at least I've got a IX to chuck more money at, maybe we'll reach the same end result, just me quite a few quid worse off than you ;)

Get he exhast and a decent induction kit and you'll be well chuffed from what I hear ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good to hear that your happy!
Im in the market for this mod on mine, i was talking to a guy from power engineering in weston super mare.....only thing his is that he has not returned my phone calls which has put a tiny bit of doubt in my head :rolleyes:
I have heard lots of good things about power station so i might give them a try...................how much £££££ did this mod cost you ?
Only thing that im bothered about and im sure i will get shot down if im wrong ....i thought it was better set up on the open road and not a rolling road???????????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mikey p,

Spoke to Rampage in WSM but Graham who does the re-map isn't based there all the time and you may have to travel to him (north of London somewhere). He is very knowledgeable on the subject and prefers to perform the remap on the road rather than on a rolling road. After seeing how it is done at Powerstation, there are a number of monitors that are plugged into the car which you can get away with on a rolling road but not on the open road. A number of runs were performed with the car in 4th gear so you are looking at topping out around 120mph - would you want to do this 5 or 6 times on the open road???

As for cost, Powerstation charged me just under £650 (inc VAT) for the ECUTEK but if you want to do more, then give Rich at Powerstation a phone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the reply ;)
yes it was rampage i was talking about and it was graham neil i have been speaking to he seems very clued up on evos!

If i cant get graham to do it i think i will get in touch with powerstation.

ps how long did it take to do ????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In total the remap took around 2 hours to complete. Spent the last 30 mins watching the last few runs myself so all in all the time went really quick.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mikey p said:

Only thing that im bothered about and im sure i will get shot down if im wrong ....i thought it was better set up on the open road and not a rolling road???????????
Invariably the people that map on the road don't own a £100,000 pounds worth of rolling road, find me a mapper that owns a dyno, that maps on the road. ;) :D

Andy

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,883 Posts
Fuzz said:
Invariably the people that map on the road don't own a £100,000 pounds worth of rolling road, find me a mapper that owns a dyno, that maps on the road. ;) :D

Andy
That's not entirely true. I think road mapping is good for finish off RE driveability etc. I think a few tuners will do both when they map your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.