Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a s/hand VII (not Dudleys finest). Nearly bought a lovely VII from them with a Stage 1 kit. Put off after reading Autocars report on the suspension upgrade, plus I wanted to keep my budget down to £24k, as I plan to keep the car only a year! I'm looking at fitting an aftermarket HKS exhaust at this stage and probably an induction kit later!

i contacted Justin who mentions that he has a Hyper Muffler (Titanium) anybody know what this is all about. Liked the Super Drager that was fitted to my VI!

Will have some photos on http://www.jerryflint.net/EVO 7 Review.htm tomorrow pm featuring the new VII! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've got the HKS T-Tip on my VII. It has a titanium tip at the end of the pipe which produces a blue-like colour when hot

Sounds great, looks the mutts nuts

Think the hyper is slightly louder than the super dragger. Hyper comes with baffle which can be fitted in 30 seconds using 1 nut.

Nice bit of kit

Out of interest what did Autocar have to say about the suspension upgrade?

Cheers
Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich

The gist was fantastic in the dry. But in the wet a new MINI would trounce it! Will copy it to my web over the next weeK!

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry

I haven't any experience of theHKS exhaust but my H and amp;S is really good. Proven to give top power, it also sounds the part without being too OTT.

Regarding the handling, Autocar are talking out of their #####. it is not the suspension that is the problem, but the tyres. The Yoko's are very poor in the wet and aren't really that good in the dry, unless you like to hang it out a bit if you know what I mean ;)

Rallairt spent a lot of time testing both the Extreme and Extreme S, along with standard cars and came to the same conclusion. That is why my Extreme has SO-2's and so has at least one other, to my knowledge. In fact, I don't know if any of them have been supplied with the Yokok's. Take it from me, the Eibach's really are good and don't hamper the wet handling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One the subject of the OE Yokos fitted to the 7 - I agree with Simon - they are useless in the wet. My old Scoob used to take the same corners much faster in the wet - off to get some S02's (if I can find them). Best tyre I have used in the wet.

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SO-2's the answer - lets hope I keep it on the road until they are replaced!

Placed the pictures of Rich's boost gauge on my site - impressed!

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry to #### on your chips but you can't get S02 anymore. Would have to be S03.

H and amp; S system is too boomy at low speeds IMO. Not good for long journeys. Get a ride in an equipped car before you purchase if possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just managed to get a set of SO2's from Micheldever Tyres - they still have some in stock

Just gotta run them in now... :D

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry,

approx £121 per tyre - that includes fitting, valve, vat etc. A couple of quid cheaper than S03's. which I was never 100% convinced about on the Scoob.

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very strange that you guys don't like the standard tyres. although i have did not move from an EVO VI to a VII i moved from a scoob to an evo vii. i find the handling of the standard tyres very good in the wet. or maybe shall i say sooooooo much fun :D i went out today for a drive lunch time some favorite roads i was deffinitely drving faster than in my scoob ( could be psychological though) but i had a permanent grin on my face :D :D :D .... i was almost power sliding around each corner with ease the ACD was set in tarmac mode though. no understeer as i am used :)

simon
are the extreme springs progressive ? or do they make the ride harder ? i think the ride is hard enough :(

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sam

If you like to slide the car around, then the standard tyres will suit you but you are giving up a lot of grip compared with, for instance, the S02's particularly in the wet. In the wet you will probably find the car even better ballanced in gravel mode, still no understeer, a little less tail happy and overall faster through the corner. Try it and let us know.

As for the suspension I have, there are 2 main ellements. Firstly, I have grp n bushes all round and this doeseffect the ride a bit. The springs, which are Eibach, marginally stiffen the ride but actually make it more pleasant due to the reduction in both pitching and roll. If you do a search about them, I think you will find that people are very positive about them, improving the handling very noticably.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rich, you must have contacts at michealdever cos they told me that they could only do S03 6 weeks ago when i had to get a new set of tyres.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oli - These were for a 7 (235/45 ZR17) and are wider than for a 6 TME (assuming u have got standard wheels)

Might be worth giving tham another call just in case

V Impressed with the SO2's - different league to the Yokos in the wet. I also tend to stay in gravel mode as I find it suits my driving style

Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts