Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard some of the earlier LHD RS2 Evo VII are having problems selecting 4th and 5th gear while shifting fast.

Anyone has heard of these problems before? Any solutions found?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two weeks ago I met an English guy at the Ring with his VII. After some laps the synchro of the 5. gear melted. Couldn't use 5. anymore afterwards.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had the same problem with my 7 when i first got it. could not select gear fast especially when the car is hot as on trackdays. i took the car on a drag strip once and i could not get past 3rd and sometime i could not even select 3rd. it is like the clutch was sticking.

my clutch went soon after and now the gearbox feels brilliant. i can selelct gears very quick, the notichyness have completely gone.

i asked the dealer to check the synchros when they were changing the clutch and they were fine. however you can probably damage them if you tried to force the gear in when the clutch was sticking. it felt like the gate was actually closed or something, or as if there was no 4th gear.

i have got the hks twin plate clutch and fully synthetic gear box oil what ever they used for their group a rally cars

sam
ps there is a lot of owners with this problem i am pretty certain it is the clutch though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Evo 7 was the same when new 3rd 4th and 5th gears were very notchy to the point where the gears would not engage when shifting up at high rpm on quite a few occasions,but after a few thousand miles it seemed to loosen up a bit but was still far from perfect for quick gear changes.Recently on a trackday at Oulton i went to change upto 4th and it wouldn't engage even worse the gearstick seemed to drop down a little and it took quite a bit of force to disengage into nuetral and on the very next gearchange into 4th it crunched like mad and would not engage until the engine rpm had dropped significantly.The end result was if i changed gear at anything over 6000rpm it would just crunch and not engage anything under 6000rpm and it was fine.The car is currently in for repair so i have no idea of the cause of the problem but i'm hoping its no more than a worn or destroyed synchro.
Sam may have a point on the clutch sticking because on occasions previously when i have missed a gear the gearstick has dropped and it has felt as there was no drive through the gearbox.I have also experienced clutch judder when pulling of but this can be cured for a few weeks by launching the car from rest or dipping and raising the clutch while in gear at high speeds as it seems to clean the surface of the clutch
One other point my mates Evo7 doesn't suffer from the above symptons sure the gears are slightly notchy as with all evo's but now where near as bad as mine and his clutch pedal is much easier to engage i.e does not require as much effort not that mine is very stiff it just needs that exra bit of a shove maybe this is a clue to somebody in the know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sliver7
i think you have just answered your own question. i think your clutch is on it way out that is why you have all these problems. maybe your mates does not drive it as hard or maybe kinder on his clutch that you or me :D. have you tried any launch starts? i have only tried it once with my standard clutch and it slipped when i launched it at 5000revs. i blamed this for the demise of my clutch really.

sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam

My clutch has been like that from day 1 and the juddering started after about 6 weeks i dont think the clutch is very worn as i have only done a few mini launches from about 3500 rpm just to get rid of the judder.I am however begining to think that the clutch is not upto the job for hard track use and may replace it very soon.
One other point i read in another thread that maybe the synchros just could not handle quick gearchanges especially when using a quick shift gearstick which mine has fitted so i may refit the original too see if that makes any difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
silver7

keep us posted about what you are going to do. i remember mentioning it to the dealer when they fitted the clutch and they replaced the gearbox oil with some fully synthatic rallystuff. the gear box on the 7 definitely has some stronger bits in it than the 6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have had my new VII FQ300 for about 3 weeks now. The gearbox is notchy like the typical evo box but intermittently (about 60% of the time) there is a crunching/grinding sound when changing from second to third quickly. Have had the oil changed to fully synthetic but no improvement. Other gears seem ok and when it is not happening the box feels fine. Would hope this is covered by warranty but it doesn't do it when being driven at the dealership!!! Any advice on how to proceed?

·
Registered
195 Posts
sb

It should mostly clear up after a few thousand miles more but will never be 100%.My car had to have a new 4th syncro but i had 3rd changed as well just in case,this was a waste of time(3rd) as it feels the same as when the car was new and now needs to be run in again.
I think its just a question of living with it and changing up to 3rd a bit slower for the time being.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheers. As it turns out, things have changed since I posted that note. Got so fed up with the list of problems with the car that I have got rid of it and had my money back. Thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have experienced synchro problems with the 5th gear, and since changed it... but one thing about clutch sticking, it might be the master cylinder in the clutch pump, if i were you guys, check it out just in case... a new one aint that expensive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.