Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going for a change of car. Thought this time I might indulge in an EVO VI. Want to get an official car if I go for it. I have been looking around and am very suprised at the resale values. I'll only keep the car for a year, so dont want it to lose too much. However looking at things such as bids on Andrew Boltons offical car is putting me off getting really serious. 31k to 18.5k in 18 months seems steep. Looking at dealer stock, they dont seem to have any. So its unlike the P1 situation where everyone has a couple. Why are the dealers not snapping them up/ why isnt joe public buying them ? I'd like a Makinen if I do go this way. Any going cheap from a dealer that anyone knows of ?

When are dealers going to get the new EVO VII ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The debut of the new Evo VII will be at the Geneva motor show this month so expect to see the odd Grey Import about 6 weeks after the launch (shipping takes that long). The official UK Evo VII will go on sale in September over here.

As to the resale value of Evo's I think you will find that Andy Boltons car was the exception to the rule. He wanted to sell the car quickly and therefore was selling it very cheaply.

Expect to pay the following (rough guide):

Evo VI GSR Grey Import private sale
1999 (T,V)
£19,000 to £22,000
2000 (V,W,X)
£21,000 to £25,000
2001 (X)
£24,000 to £27,000 brand new dealer price

Notes:
New Ralliart EVO VI GSR UK car £30,995
Add roughly 5-10% to the prices above for an Official Ralliart UK car.
Add roughly 5-10% to the prices above if you are buying second hand from a dealer.
Add 5% for a TME.
TME brand new Grey Import £28,000, Ralliart UK £32,995
Obviously the actual price depends on condition, mileage and any extras, mods fitted.

Remember that you usually lose 40-60% of the value of any car in the first 3 years from new. An Evo is no exception. It may be a very desireable car but the value has also been effected by the recent fuel crisis, the ever increasing insurance premiums and the general reduction in second hand car prices due to the European Import situation making manufacturers rethink their new car prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chins your right about the shortage of E6s. I looked for ages for a good one, eventually I got one form my local dealer.

Official E6 GSR
Dec 99
1 Owner
Driving lights
6K Miles
2 Year remaining Ralliart Warranty
Tracker
Radio/10 Disc Changer

£25,000

You pay for what you get, my personal view about the grey import is stay away from them.
But that is just because I am not willing to take a chance on a car worth that sort of money.
My friend has an import, and has had no problems so I guess it is personal choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just sold my E6 official car to Ralliart (yesterday).

It was a T/99, Icelle Blue, Fogs, Mats and CD changer, 13000 miles. Probably still there if you are interested. I really looked after it so it would be a good buy. Not sure what they will be asking for it though.

Regards
IanF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to get into the Grey v UK debate again but don't be afraid or put off of buying one. As long as you get a warranty and make sure it was new in the UK then Greys will be no problem.
All Evo's come from the same factory and all are imported as grey's and have to be SVA'ed.
Park Lane, Alton import and SVA the 'UK' cars for Ralliart.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HH6
Why do you say a grey should have been bought new in the UK? I don't think you could be any more sure of a car's history, just because it was bought new in the UK and not Japan. In fact, from Japan it's probably less likely to have a dodgy history IMHO. If someone thrashes and trashes their car, it doesn't matter where it was done, the new owner would probably be none the wiser!

Just the opinion of a satisfied used Jap. owner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chins (Jonathan?)

Someone must be buying them! I was looking around over Christmas, and paid ralliart a visit. Every second hand evo they'd been advertising had been sold, or else I may well have bought one. There just didn't seem to be any decent ralliart cars for sale in the likes of top marques either. In the end I bought a brand new silver GSR from my parents local dealer, for £29,995.

If you're only going to keep the car for a year, then why not take advantage of a car for a good price from someone keen to sell, like Andrew Boltos? A nearly new car will have the balance of warranty and already done most of its depreciating. I intend to keep my Evo for the foreseeable future, so didn't mind buying new too much. I've certainly had enough of car depreciation on other new cars over the past few years, and whilst it's nice to be in a position to afford, throwing away thousands each time does get a bit sickening (for me anyway).

Oh, and can I ask why you're getting an Evo? From what I remember on the Scoobynet BBS, you were always very pro scooby/P1, anti Evo. Have you finally seen the light http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Anyway, good luck sourcing a nice car. You really won't regret it.

Regards,

Gary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ian

How much did you get for your EVO in the end ?

Gary

I'm bored at the moment and want a change. Had a P1,
so fancy something different. Torn between a Scooby MY01
with lots of mods, or an EVO. The EVO VII being released
put me off being in an old model a bit (yes snob value).

Are Ralliart going to be selling the EVO VII before Sept.
If so is it classed as an unoffical car, and how much ?

The S4 just has to go.

Might be taking a year of work to do an MBA, so that might
knock it on the head.

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daryl,
I think you misunderstood what I meant. If you import a brand new car from Japan then there should be no problems as you would be the first owner. I agree there are hardly any problems even if you do import a second hand car from Japan as they tend to treat their cars a lot better than we do. I have researched long and hard into grey imports and I have found that generally the horror stories that people report are just myths. That is why I say Grey Imports are better than UK!

Claudius,
The only other car I would consider after an Evo would be a Skyline.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chins

Phone Ralliart about the Seven (I did today). Yes is the answer - they should sell before Septemeber. I thought about buying an RS version, but have decided to keep my pristine 6. 4300 miles since July 99 and going to have the Drummond Suspension fitted. Seems pointless taking the depreciation hit on mmine to buy something very similar.

However, I'll probably change my Rover 75 2.5 V6 for the 375 bhp barn stormer - I can't wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chins,

Snob value, hehe. Just have done with it and buy a 911 turbo or F355 then http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > I thought about the Evo VII, but they've just lost the raw aggressive look [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > The VI is a real cult car, it remains to be seen whether the VII will achieve the same status, so I'd say the jury will be out for a while if image is your thing.

Regards,

Gary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gary

Even if I could buy the Euro muck you mention I wouldn't. Well maybe an M5 - that's why I like the thought of a Rover 75 (X10) - because it should be as goodand it's British!

Snob Value - you've lost me mate! I just like great cars - that's what this Forum is all about isn't it?

Regards

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerry,

Snob value - not me mate - I was just responding to one of Chins comments earlier where he admitted that snob value was one of his buying criteria.

Describing a 911 Turbo or F355 as Euro muck could be considered a tad harsh http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Cheers,

Gary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gary

A TAD it was blasphemy really - I DO like the old GT3. I must be getting senile! Wood for tress - I think I'll go and chrome the Zimmer.

Cya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry

Rover is owned by BMW.

The F 355 is a slow car (just a tiny little bit better than an M3, for twice the money!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Claudius

ROVER was owned by BMW until last spring. Now owned by the Phoenix group of business men. Led by John Towers.

Jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe my words snob value wasnt the best use of the English Language.

Put another way, if there is a newer model out then I want it. The EVO VII
should be a step forward, although the rear end looks are a step backwards IMHO.

Jonathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts