Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Basically the above question, haven't a clue myself - just wondering. Would the pistons & rods from a Evo VI fit an Evo III block?

Also what advantages/disadvantages would there be with this? I have noted an Evo III with Evo VII pistons - so am curious.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno? That's why I asked :)

Was wondering if they actually fit straight in? As I thought they were stronger than the 3 pistons.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Bjorn
e6 pistons will work ok....but you would have to machine them for the pins to fit....& used in conjunction with e.g. vr4 rods
are a good cheap compromise if forged stuff is outside your budget

they'll handle 350+bhp without too much of a problem
...quite a few evo6 owners on here running higher boost with standard internals and getting good power/torque

& as you've mentioned ...e7 pistons are usable as well...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate, hmmm - so they won't go straight in :( - I assume the VR4 rods are stronger than the III?? Also are the VR4 rods the same as the I / II rods?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Bjorn220 said:
Thanks mate, hmmm - so they won't go straight in :( - I assume the VR4 rods are stronger than the III?? Also are the VR4 rods the same as the I / II rods?
yes ....vr4 rods are stronger....will take 400bhp
&
no, not the same as e1-2 (&3....all the same)

...the vr4 rods will also need a bit of machining to fit the e3 pistons
(Mike/ex-gtir has combination in his e3)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah right - cool, thanks for the info!

So out of interest, when its said that cranking up the boost over 1 bar on a III can cause engine damage long term, which is the most common component to fail.

I've heard the HG is one, and the Rods/Pistons. But which is the weakest point?

Just wondering if you can get away with just the VR4's with standard III pistons.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm noticing a whiff of blue smoke on mine on start up (from cold) - fine otherwise, and this has caused panic to set in. :cry:

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
you can use the vr4 rods with standard pistons....
...sounds like the rings may be worn/wearing (?)

as to which component is going to fail ?
- could be any one of them....

what you should consider is:
1. what budget you have available
2. how long you are going to keep the car

if you have the cash....re-build using forged bits and you'll have an engine that you're not going to worry about;
....it's just that you might replace the cheapest items to keep the cost down/car on the road, but something else may 'give' as a consequence of continued high boost.
However, if you replace items mentioned & boost was at standard to 1.1 bar(max)setting, then you should be ok over the long term

'6 of one and half a dozen' type of situation

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats the thing, I've only ever ran up to 1.1 bar but have been advised this is the absolute edge of safety? So am wondering if this is the cause?? I turned the boost down to 1 bar now.

Long term not sure, I can't see any reason to sell - I dont have a massive budget, hence why I was waying up my options - if I can run 1.1 bar safely on 6 pistons with VR4 Rods I will go down this road? I don't plan for a high boost monster...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
vr4 rods dont fit to evo pistons the rod themselves have to be machined to suit small end
can get eagle rods for less than £200
they have been used in american V8 for a few years now

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ex-gtir said:
vr4 rods dont fit to evo pistons the rod themselves have to be machined to suit small end
can get eagle rods for less than £200
they have been used in american V8 for a few years now
excellent - and these will fit Evo Pistons?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
noticed with the Eagle Rods they are 1G or 2G - see this mentioned on alot of DSM parts, what is the difference? Also 6 bolt and 7 bolt fitments :confused: gonna need to do some reading.

been speaking to the Missus, probably be best for us to go Forged for the long term.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Bjorn220 said:
been speaking to the Missus, probably be best for us to go Forged for the long term.
as mentioned above....
definitely what I'd recommend
especially for the 'long term'

btw
other types of 4g63T rods worth investigating are:
Crower...as used by Norris & RC
Pauter...used extensively in US, Oz & Nz
Carillo...well known in Italian/German tuning

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
crower rods are $689
carrillio rods are $689 they are A section
pauter rods are $754
oliver rods are $750
manley rods are $649
eagle rods are $359 they are H section
scat rods are £319 they are H section
most come with arp rod bolts or studs as standard
hope this helps
mike

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
the guy who does my engine machining has been using them for a few years in big yank V8s with no problems
the compang is what used to be rovercraft in kent
i take he word that they are good rod
dont know many people x-ray standard rods and put them back in :confused:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i was gonna say that the rod requirements for a 3.5 N/A v8 and a turbo 4 are different, but then the rover engine can be made to give good power.

i meant x-ray the new rods. the manufacturers don't test every one so you could get a duff one.

happened to one of the trinidad lads i think. luckily the rod went at tick over otherwsie would have destroyed the engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts