Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum so nice to meet you all! I am currently looking to buy an Evo 6 GSR and have found one that looks decent, it's a Fresh Jap Import with 100k on the clocks (miles not KM). Link is here

I have been sent some additional pictures of the underside which shows that the wheel well has been painted, along with the rear arms and subframe. Is this something fairly common to stop corrosion or is it a red flag to run far away?

Car is about 2 hours away from me so don't want to head up if it's going to be a waste of time. Front end looks absolutely mint, strut towers look brand new with a tiny bit of surface rust on the strut brace.

Cheers,
Si
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle door Rim
Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Tints and shades
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
It’s pretty common in Japan that the inspector for their MOT equivalent sprays black paint over the rust. If you look at the other parts of the underside they look a bit on the rusty side. Can you ask him to send some pics of the inside of the boot under the spare wheel? If it’s rusty there it may mean it’s rusted through. To be honest the only real way of knowing is by looking at in person

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not overly fussed about the front seat being worn, about 80% of the examples I've seen are the same that are in my budget and most likely I'll never sell the car so not worried about saleability in future. Just want one that's solid underneath really. Initially messaged them on eBay for boot pictures under the carpet, but they've only sent ones the ones attached above which is also a bit concerning. I'll see if he's got the auction sheet, would be suprised if he didn't. Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
I'm not overly fussed about the front seat being worn, about 80% of the examples I've seen are the same that are in my budget and most likely I'll never sell the car so not worried about saleability in future. Just want one that's solid underneath really. Initially messaged them on eBay for boot pictures under the carpet, but they've only sent ones the ones attached above which is also a bit concerning. I'll see if he's got the auction sheet, would be suprised if he didn't. Cheers
Hey mate, ask for auction sheet 100%, if he says he doesn’t have then you can do a CarVx Japan HPI check. However if he lies about it from the off I think I would just walk as it’s a bad start.
Another really important place to check is rear chassis rails and also ask him to take a pic of inside of fuel filler flap.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
The chassis rails don’t look too bad from the pictures but agree without visiting or been sure it’s hard work to know for sure.
The underside doesn’t look to alarming for the money. I’d imagine for mint underneath your talking another 5-6k at least

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's really hard to tell without poking around underneath in person, I made the mistake of looking how clean the exterior of my first Evo was and overlooking some key parts underneath.

I found this video useful IF YOU'RE LOOKING AT BUYING A MITSUBISHI EVO - WATCH THIS FIRST!!! - YouTube

Thankfully I know all the faults with my latest, I'm planning on a full underneath resto though before I start using it.
With these cars being the age they are, unless it's already been done I think it's something that you'll have to think about when buying any to protect them for years to come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks decent.

There are many in worse condition.

These cars are 20+ years old so if we want one to look new it will cost a lot more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's really hard to tell without poking around underneath in person, I made the mistake of looking how clean the exterior of my first Evo was and overlooking some key parts underneath.

I found this video useful IF YOU'RE LOOKING AT BUYING A MITSUBISHI EVO - WATCH THIS FIRST!!! - YouTube

Thankfully I know all the faults with my latest, I'm planning on a full underneath resto though before I start using it.
With these cars being the age they are, unless it's already been done I think it's something that you'll have to think about when buying any to protect them for years to come.
Thank you for this! Something I hadn't come across on YouTube, even though I must've watched every single Evo video on there haha. Things like brakes and fuel lines aren't the end of the world, I can do a lot of that kind of work myself. Most likely I’d want to do the same as you and touch up all the parts that are even slightly crusty before actually taking it out on the roads just for peace of mind

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks decent.

There are many in worse condition.

These cars are 20+ years old so if we want one to look new it will cost a lot more.
I agree there are a lot worse currently listed for sale, there’s a couple of examples on eBay atm that have incredibly concerning MOT histories in regards to rot. Ones that I almost went to view! But these are around the £16-17,000 mark so to be expected

·
EVOHOLIC !
5,754 Posts
That car’s been for sale for ages. I presume due to the price and condition of the underside. Also the tyres look like they’re illegal and need replacing.
I wouldn’t touch it personally. Not worth £20k.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,624 Posts
lets face it its a 20+ year old rice rocket ,thats as mint as youll find these days unrestored ,if the rest of the cars fine id got for it but id not believe the miles ,its amazing how many 60k ish mile cars are out there ,its all twoddle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lets face it its a 20+ year old rice rocket ,thats as mint as youll find these days unrestored ,if the rest of the cars fine id got for it but id not believe the miles ,its amazing how many 60k ish mile cars are out there ,its all twoddle
Well initially I was looking to import one myself, happily spend £20k on an import because you’re not paying the extra £4000 these importers are just slapping on grade 3 cars from Japan and you’ll be able to get one that’s rock solid. Engine mileage also isn’t a massive problem as I intend to have the engine completely torn down and forged, it really only comes down to the rust. There’s just not that much stock coming up in Japan at the moment unfortunately

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seller has sent some more pictures, the wheel well and inside the filler flap... Have to say it looks pretty clean

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Hood Toy Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Doesn’t look too bad at all mate, think you need to see it. Any news on auction sheet? Did you ask?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've asked them for the auction sheet twice now and asked them twice what their availablity is for viewing but still don't have a date to go and see it or the auction sheet! They seem pretty useless tbh doesnt exactly inspire confidence

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
£20,000 is everything I've got really, a grade 4 car has popped up at the auctions so I'm going to attempt to bid on that. Only done 73,000KM though so I expect it will probably go for more than I have :cry:

This is the one that's popped up at auction
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Looks lovely that, but will once landed probably fetch more. Hi for it mate though, why not! 👍

I know it’s hard, but don’t rush and buy a lemon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks clean doesn't it! I've asked them to get more pictures for me, it goes up for auction tomorrow evening so I'll post back here with how it went! Fingers crossed 🤞

1 - 20 of 39 Posts