Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a Mongoose 3" decatted turbo back exhaust for my Evo VI which I had fitted yesterday and have a couple of issues with it. Curious whether anyone with experience of this sytem or simply more insight than I have with stuff like this has any input.

I'm wondering if it's just the system I bought, whether I have a dud one or if they're just like this. The guy who fit the exhaust thought it was an ebay job and isn't convinced it's a genuine Mongoose exhaust. It had a lot of weld and residue on the insides of the pipework and fits very poorly. I bought it from here: https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/455371/mitsubishi/mongoose-exhausts-systems/mss001-e.html

As you can see in the pic below, the tailpipe touches the underside of the bumper and after <50 miles has already started to burn through it. This doesn't seem normal, but if it is and I have to have the bumper cut I guess it's not the end of the world. Unsure where I'd go to have someone do a good job of that though, anyone got any suggestions? If I have some spare funds I'd consider an aftermarket rear bumper/diffuser also, anyone know any that would accomodate this tailpipe? The downpipe is also rubbing and causing a vibration that is only really noticeable when pulling off, but is still an annoyance. Anything I can do about this?

It does actually sound quite good and I like the tailpipe design but the fitment issues are a real bummer.

Help? :(

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,846 Posts
Heard these used to have issues years ago but not recently. Never had any fitment issues with my Russ Fellows / GB Enterprise one. It didn't cost £600 either!

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=427705

Send it back under warranty and let them know it's damaged your car would be my advice.

I thought that a mongoose had a rolled tip as well? That one doesn't even look circular ,like it has a kink in it bottom left.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Heard these used to have issues years ago but not recently. Never had any fitment issues with my Russ Fellows / GB Enterprise one. It didn't cost £600 either!

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=427705

Send it back under warranty and let them know it's damaged your car would be my advice.

I thought that a mongoose had a rolled tip as well? That one doesn't even look circular ,like it has a kink in it bottom left.
They offer 2 tail pipe designs, do agree it doesn't look properly circular though. It's just altogether a really poorly made system it seems.

The main reason I didn't go with the Russ Fellows one was they don't do a downpipe option and didn't want to mix and match as I thought fitment would be better if I bought one whole system (clearly wrong on that front!) and am a bit OCD about keeping things the same brands where possible

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I have the mongoose 3" pipe on my tommi. It doesn't rub the bumper at all. I got mine from indigo-GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I've have a genuine turbo back mongoose on my 5 for 9 years, never had an issue with any part of it. If I were you I'd return it and buy one supplied and fitted by the same outfit, no hassles then.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Very late update.

I took the car to Collins Performance who originally supplied the Mongoose system, they took the whole system off and put it back on with a new backbox as one of the hangers seemed bent and the tailpipe had a slight kink in it. It does sit properly now, however there is a new problem - whenever I start the car cold or go over a bump I notice a loud rattling sound which seems to be from something catching near the rear. If I push down on the tailpipe after starting the car cold the rattling goes away so I'm sure it is the exhaust causing the problem. The system does move around a lot, unsure if there's a way of solving this with more solid exhaust rubbers that don't allow so much flex or if there's any other way around it? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Very late update.

I took the car to Collins Performance who originally supplied the Mongoose system, they took the whole system off and put it back on with a new backbox as one of the hangers seemed bent and the tailpipe had a slight kink in it. It does sit properly now, however there is a new problem - whenever I start the car cold or go over a bump I notice a loud rattling sound which seems to be from something catching near the rear. If I push down on the tailpipe after starting the car cold the rattling goes away so I'm sure it is the exhaust causing the problem. The system does move around a lot, unsure if there's a way of solving this with more solid exhaust rubbers that don't allow so much flex or if there's any other way around it? Anyone have any ideas?
My mongoose system rattled against the drive shaft when it was first fitted, the cold part might be coincidence, check how it's hanging in proximity to the DS

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My mongoose system rattled against the drive shaft when it was first fitted, the cold part might be coincidence, check how it's hanging in proximity to the DS

Hey there. When I had a look underneath the only areas that looks like they may be catching are the backbox and rear hanger, the exhaust rubber on the rear hanger has moved a lot from where it was originally hung

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
Hey there. When I had a look underneath the only areas that looks like they may be catching are the backbox and rear hangar, the exhaust rubber on the rear hangar has moved a lot from where it was originally hung
Hate to say it but take it back again if you're not happy, they must be doing something wrong as there's lots of Mongoose users here without issue.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hate to say it but take it back again if you're not happy, they must be doing something wrong as there's lots of Mongoose users here without issue.

Yeah sadly the kind of response I expected I guess. I'll shoot them an email later. Cheers

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got in contact with Collins Performance and they said "From memory you had a mix of uprated and old standard hangers – I would go with a full set of original ones for which the exhaust was designed for". I've never changed the hangers myself, but suppose previous owner could have. This sound likely to be the problem to anyone? Anyone got a link to the original parts I need if this is indeed the solution?

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I got in contact with Collins Performance and they said "From memory you had a mix of uprated and old standard hangers - I would go with a full set of original ones for which the exhaust was designed for". I've never changed the hangers myself, but suppose previous owner could have. This sound likely to be the problem to anyone? Anyone got a link to the original parts I need if this is indeed the solution?
I would question why that if they knew the hangers were an issue they didn't offer a solution......

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Mine used to sometimes knock on hard cornering but I got a set of poly exhaust rubbers from Ross sport and it's been fine ever since

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah just the cat back, I have their downpipe and decat aswell. Dunno how much difference it makes to the fitment, car going in to garage for some other bits on Wednesday so will mention the idea to them and see what they say. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts