Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had many things I could fault with the Evo, but one thing that is really getting on my tits is the poxy arial. I just can't get a decent signal in most areas and am probably going to fit another one.

Is it just mine or are they all crap?

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a LHD TME, used to have a LHD RS2, the antenna has shítty reception, even when the signal is good. In the my Ma's BMW, the reception is fine, in my Evo it goes ggrrrshhh from time to time and the reception is on average very average. I wanted to fit an electronic one, but I dont know which. My antenna comes out from the A pillar (left hand side close to windshield).

Are you like me, want everything from your Evo, even radio CD and shìt?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my e6 gsr has the ariel built in to the rear window and have never had any problems with it .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Original Post:
Are you like me, want everything from your Evo, even radio CD and shìt?
Abso bloody lutely, why else did I buy it!!! After all they are GOD like in most other aspects.
My antenna is the rear window (I presume). There certainly isn't one on the outside of the car.
And yeh I've got the CD player with sub and all, good job as I haven't got much of a radio!

Regards
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, Mr I've got one, I've just received your post. Have you got a normal arial connection and a little one behind your stereo, cos I have!
Just wondered if the little one should be connected, cos I can't to the Pioneer unit I've got!
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't quote me on this, but I think that the rear window jobbie is active. ie it has a little amp somewhere between the Ae and the radio. If this is not supplied with dc power, they don't work too well. I'm a radio engineer so know a bit about this, but still get crap Rx in my 6. Fit a Blitz system, and you won't need the radio any more ;)

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reception on standard aerial is marginal. If you live in a hilly place or other area with low signal then its not up to the job.

It must be possible to fit a normal aerial onto the car. Front wing would probably be easiest.

However as there's so much crap on the radio (most dj's seem to think the're the reason people kisten rather than for the music) I virtually always listen to CD's so I'll stick with the standard aerial.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear windscreen aerial is crap. The secondary one I can only presume is for AM Stereo . They apparently have this in Japan.

I recently installed an Alpine CD/ radio. Both aerial plugs were used inthe original Jap rad/cassette. Checked about the positive feed to the main aerial jack, this is not the case (or at least wasn't on mine).

Maybe a suppressor or amp needs fitting, I'll check.

p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you already have a suppresor fitted , its in the engine bay above the sas (secondry air system )its a smal silver cylinder.
i also have no idea if both the ariel conectors are plugged in as i have never had the sterio out but i always have good radio reception with it even driving through mid wales where i could not even pick up any sul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, I don't know if mine is crap because after 20 months I still have no sounds fitted to the silver beast.

Tell a lie, it has got factory fitted speakers.

What's all this about grass tracking at Donno then?

See you around.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the wiring harness to the head unit there is a wire that powers the rear ariel. I did not have this connected when I fitted my pioneer unit, but after a visit to my local dealer, was shown the error of my ways. Reception is now 1st class. Don't quote me but I think it is the blue wire with the white stripe??? I can check later to find out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Evojkp - I think you might have just hit the nail on the head. That would certainly make sense as to why mine is crap!!!

Bizz - I'd like to say I got a little bored and fancied doing a rally cross route, but it wasn't the case!
I started off getting quicker and quicker as I went round and when a couple of friends turned up with their van I off loaded all our baggage and old discs etc etc. Suddenly the car was very light on the back end and before I'd even completed my first lap, I got it sideways BIG STYLE. Not a problem but the corner wasn't long enough and I very gracefully slid onto the grass!!! It took me by surprise as I was going quite a bit faster ten minutes earlier. (honest guv)
Next time I was trying to get by Pete Croney (Scoobysport) and when I did I entered the corner just that bit too late and did exactly the same thing but this time on Gravel. Got it all on video as well! Anyway enough of my excuses for being crap!
After that I calmed down and sussed out where I was going wrong. Just needed a bit more smoothness with it and get the power down before turning in too much, then it was blissful four wheel drifts from then on!
The only other problems was brake pedal going to the floor a few times, which just needed pumping, and nearside tyres scrubbing out to near illegal even though they were running at 40psi! Hence why the advert for slicks wanted!
Other than that a brilliant day out and I'm sure you'd enjoy it if you come to the next one!

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Evojkp
Thanks for the tip the other week. It was indeed lack of blue wire being connected to the auto antenna/remote on the head unit. I now have a more than adequate radio reception.
Many thanks

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Connected up my rear screen ariel amp and as if by magic I 2 have top FM reception , pity there's no decent stuff on radio then :( Well , in the midlands anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I too have just connected the blue/white cable to the power aerial. Works like a dream now!

Thanks JKP.

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts